Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest micpp

System Requirements

Guest micpp

I think that you should be able to scale the graphics in Doom 3 down a long way i.e. to P3 500 level. This would mean that the people who can afford it can get good graphics on their fancy-pantsy Geforce 46 while normal people who do not want to upgrade every week can still play it.

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k :)

But d00d, that is a really good idea man, but the graphice would kinda suck wouldn't ya think>

Guest Johnny Kaos

how about releasing a sorry as hell crap version and the real thing as two different intalls.

low system users install the crap version.
and good system users intsall the good version.

yet somhow both are compatible.

Guest micpp
MACVILEWHORE said:

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k :)

But d00d, that is a really good idea man, but the graphice would kinda suck wouldn't ya think>

I have been lurking for a long time

The graphics would not have to suck, in fact you could have them looking very good on a new computer, but you should be able to put the detail option all the way down so they run on an old computer above 1 fps.

Here´s the problem, there´s no good way to scale down the graphics. You can turn off bumpmapping, good, that would work. You can always go for the textures-down method, until each beatifully drawn 256x256 texture becames a 32x32 turd. LOD, Geometry Quality, Decals, Sound Quality. You can turn all those off.
But you´ll never get DooM3 running decently if the card lacks of :

1) Pixel Shaders.
2) OpenGL compliant.
3) Stencil Buffers.

You can´t just turn off the awesome lighting system, because it´s what makes the game scary, creepy and dark.

dont forget the color. i just got escape from monkey island. it was slow as fuck before (not that fuck is slow...it depends on how you do it) then i changed the settings from 32 bit color to 16 bit it worked.

Zaldron said:

Here´s the problem, there´s no good way to scale down the graphics. You can turn off bumpmapping, good, that would work. You can always go for the textures-down method, until each beatifully drawn 256x256 texture becames a 32x32 turd. LOD, Geometry Quality, Decals, Sound Quality. You can turn all those off.
But you´ll never get DooM3 running decently if the card lacks of :

1) Pixel Shaders.
2) OpenGL compliant.
3) Stencil Buffers.

You can´t just turn off the awesome lighting system, because it´s what makes the game scary, creepy and dark.

Just wonderin, since you seem to be the engine guy here... wtf are decals? I hear the new zdoom has them, but I never read up on that cause I hate zdoom.

Guest micpp
Zaldron said:

1) Pixel Shaders.2) OpenGL compliant.3) Stencil Buffers.

I know what OpenGL is, and all 3D cards have this, including the TNT2, but what are the other two?

Psyonisis said:

Just wonderin, since you seem to be the engine guy here... wtf are decals? I hear the new zdoom has them, but I never read up on that cause I hate zdoom.

Decals are "sprites in a plane". When you see sprites in every modern game, like Q3A or UT, those sprites aren´t rendered like in the old DooM, but instead, they are used as texture for a triangle that is always facing you. That way you never see them distort. Not all the decals must face you, in fact, the most know use are the bullet holes, the rocket impacts, the railgun slugs, etc. Instead of facing you, this decals are aligned with the walls very, very closely.

Guest JudgeDooM
Psyonisis said:

Why? It's one of the best source ports available.