Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PFCGray

Engine

Guest PFCGray

Somewhere along the line I heard rumors from my friends about Doom 3 being run on something like the Quake Engine or Hexen 2 engine. Is this true? In a way I hope not cuz as of the moment I dont have a 3D accelorator card (of course thats just for GL games), but in a way I do cuz the graphics would be better than the old games. And will there be a feature where you can interact with other human characters if it takes place on earth?

My big level suggestion actually WAS a really bad idea; it would be boring and you could get lost.

The Doom 3 engine is going to be completely new, yet is 'based off' the Quake 3 Arena engine. If you're wondering wether you'll need a 3D accelerator, the answer is an Earth-shatteringly loud 'YES'.

We don't know anything about story/setting/gameplay yet, so no word yet on interaction with Non-Player Characters.

There's an article about Doom 3 and the required system specs on (!!SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION!!) my homepage, which is located at the URL below.

Guest PFCGray

Well shit, there goes my plans for ever gettin the game! About how much is the cheapest 3D card out today?

Guest elyuca

Where have you been for the past 4 years? The Sahara? Quake II looked like shit without acceleration. Q3 requires acceleration. 60% of the games comming out now require it and the other 40% re shit. OF COURSE ITS GONNA REQUIRE 3D ACCELERATION!!!!! WTF? Its been a standard on computers for the past 2 years! I think you need to get out of that rock you live in, and get a Geforce 2 mx or something of the like thats cheap, yet good. If not, get the Elsa Gladiac Ultra, nothing beats that card. And for $500 its worth every penny, b/c it will last you even after Doom 3 comes out.

PFCGray said:

Well shit, there goes my plans for ever gettin the game! About how much is the cheapest 3D card out today?

That´s the problem PFCGray (WTF means that anyway??), DooM3´s going to be another one of those hardware-jumps, (like DooM & Quake 1). Your going to need not less than a GF2, and if you want +60 fps multiplayer, I´ll suggest you to wait for the NV20.

You have 1.5; 2 years approx. to do the upgrade.

Guest elyuca
PFCGray said:

Its probably not gonna come out till Winter 2002, so save up $600 for the best card you can get at that time (thats what Im doing) You want the cheapest? A Voodoo 3 3000 for $50 at ebay will play almost all the games out now, but they wont look as good as a Geforce 2. If you want to make a valuable purchase, drop the half grand on a Geforce 2 Ultra 64m. Its not cheap, but itll stay in your pc for a good 4 years, at least.

BTW if you think the requirement for a 3d card is ridiculous (which is completely not, even for todays games), check out the predicted requirements:
-700Mhz processor
-128Mg Ram
-probably half a gig in HD sapce
-at least a Geforce 2

Oh, and these are minimum -I surely hope, b/c I dont want anything under a semi-perfect looking game.
Thankfully I excell all of these, but I will probably hae a new system by the time Doom 3 comes out. Im aiming at spending a good $3000 on a machine that will double as a 1-room heater, and $600 on a retina burning video card, by then Itll be Nvidia's nv20, or maybe its successor.

Guest PFCGray
elyuca said:

Where have you been for the past 4 years? The Sahara? Quake II looked like shit without acceleration. Q3 requires acceleration. 60% of the games comming out now require it and the other 40% re shit. OF COURSE ITS GONNA REQUIRE 3D ACCELERATION!!!!! WTF? Its been a standard on computers for the past 2 years! I think you need to get out of that rock you live in, and get a Geforce 2 mx or something of the like thats cheap, yet good. If not, get the Elsa Gladiac Ultra, nothing beats that card. And for $500 its worth every penny, b/c it will last you even after Doom 3 comes out.

Scuse the fuck outta me man you didnt have to flame me!!!!!!!

Zaldron said:

That´s the problem PFCGray (WTF means that anyway??), DooM3´s going to be another one of those hardware-jumps, (like DooM & Quake 1). Your going to need not less than a GF2, and if you want +60 fps multiplayer, I´ll suggest you to wait for the NV20.

You have 1.5; 2 years approx. to do the upgrade.

Ahh Shit! Now Im Gonna Have To Get A New Computer!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
My Specs:
266mhz
64mb ram
voodoo 2 1000 12mb
and all the other shitty things (including a 16bit sound card etc etc)

elyuca said:

Where exactly did those specs come from? I've never seen ID announce anything about the estimated specs at all.

ID have lately started to take into account reasonably low end specs, for example, Q3 ran happily on my AMD-233 overdrive (i.e. on a 486 motherboard), 96 megs RAM and Voodoo 3, and Q2 didn't exactly need a turbo-ninja-bastard PC at the time of it's release either.

Chances are they will continue this trend of catering for the less fortunate gamers.

PFCGray said:

Scuse the fuck outta me man you didnt have to flame me!!!!!!!

For FUCK'S sakes. Will you people PLEASE learn what flaming actually is before you go around accusing everyone of it?

"Oh no, he called me an idiot, he's flaming me!"

"He said I was wrong! Stop flaming me!"

It's really rather pathetic.