Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

Model Format...Easy to modify?

I was thinking. The DooM3 engine will be highly advanced..So, will you be able to edit in your *OWN* creations, without having to replace and existing model/sprite/texture?

It would be a good idea, especailly if you have sharp editing skills and someone/yourself knew how to make models. That way, you could play with your new tons of hell deizens, while shooting up all the originals. Well, just a thought, perhaps one that has not been posted yet?

Guest Dark_Fox

Would not be THAT complex.. Anyways seems pointless when you can get Lightwave or 3dMax.. Make your own model, and import it..

Living in the past, Jeremy, that´s being done since Quake 1.
The reason why you can´t add enemies in a simplier way in DooM 1/2 is because you have no way to merge the sprites with an AI. Unless you have something that defines when/what happens with those sprites/frames, the engine can´t handle them. You also need to define a new Entity, otherwise, how´re you gonna place them in your levels?

You can do this things with DooM, you just need the source code. That´s an easy way to create more enemies, the main chunk of data can be easily copy&pasted from another "similar behavior", and then modified to your own purposes.

Carmack promised a QuakeC like tool to allow modifications, instead of .DLL and VM methods.
There´s no magic solution, you HAVE to create the AI & the support. But I´ll suppose that DooMWorld will fill up with tutorials about the subject.

Anyway, if you´re having problems to code, get your own programmer, just post on the editing&modification forum of any game.

Dark_Fox said:

Would not be THAT complex.. Anyways seems pointless when you can get Lightwave or 3dMax.. Make your own model, and import it..

Of course you would use 3D-Studio Max, but my point is, it should have an import option on the level editor, so you dont have to add to the source, or just plain be as complicated as it would without it.