Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DJ UAC

What processor is better?

Guest DJ UAC

what would u rather have?
1:p4
2:p3(i prefer this cus its is um... handles grafix faster then the p4)
3:amb Athlon
too bad i dont have a job cus then i would get a quad p2 400mhz
and run linux and that will be da shitz!!

(It's AMD)

Well bucko, if I had my choice of ANY possible combination I'd go with 64 1.2 Ghz AMD Thunderbird Athlons with about 4 Gigs of 400(800)Mhz DDR Ram, kinda like the biggest super computer built right now has.

With that, who gives a shit what operating system you're on?

BTW, having 'da shitz' isn't a good thing. Heheh.

Well Intel costs more and doesn't perform as well as AMD so I don't really think there's much difficulty in choosing... unless you work for Intel and can get them at cost. :)

The bigger question would be for what video cards are around when Doom 3 turns Gold.

I have complete confidence in NV20. With 3dfx out of the scheme, the only remaining competitor is ATI. They make great stuff, ok, with some little problems in the software aspect of their cards.
Nvidia´s now the synonymous for OpenGL. Carmack´s using GF2 as developer platforms, so I guess future evolutions of the GeForce technollogy should have some game-friendly workings. When Unreal was designed, the rendering system was coded taking in mind how Glide works. This could happen again with DooM3 and Nvidia.

deadnail said:

(It's AMD)

Well bucko, if I had my choice of ANY possible combination I'd go with 64 1.2 Ghz AMD Thunderbird Athlons with about 4 Gigs of 400(800)Mhz DDR Ram, kinda like the biggest super computer built right now has.

With that, who gives a shit what operating system you're on?

BTW, having 'da shitz' isn't a good thing. Heheh.

Well Intel costs more and doesn't perform as well as AMD so I don't really think there's much difficulty in choosing... unless you work for Intel and can get them at cost. :)

The bigger question would be for what video cards are around when Doom 3 turns Gold.

What are you talking about? If I could have any pc it would be a cray super-computer, cos' it has about 5 tetra hertz of power and could run doom3 at 1,200 fps (or something)

I'm not such a bad guy...I am? Well fuck you then mister.

Dual Cray is what you´re talking about, and it costs about 1.2 million dollars. Besides, the Cray relies on multiple processor calculations. W95, W98, W2000, WME and Mac OS X are totally incompatible with this architecture. Even Linux isn´t capable of handling this machine, you have to use a UNIX-like system that are CODED specially for the task you´re going to accomplish with such a kick ass system. I doubt Carmack´s going to code a DooM3 friendly OS for Cray supercomputers, so your badly calculated 1200 fps falls to 0.

Zaldron said:

I have complete confidence in NV20. With 3dfx out of the scheme, the only remaining competitor is ATI. They make great stuff, ok, with some little problems in the software aspect of their cards.
Nvidia´s now the synonymous for OpenGL. Carmack´s using GF2 as developer platforms, so I guess future evolutions of the GeForce technollogy should have some game-friendly workings. When Unreal was designed, the rendering system was coded taking in mind how Glide works. This could happen again with DooM3 and Nvidia.

You coulda filled that out a little more.

The Radeon card does 32 bit color great, but 16 has artifacting and isn't near as fast as it could be. It also has weaker T&L than the GF2, according to something I read on Voodoo Extreme a while back.

It's also worth mentioning that Unreal 2 is also being aimed at nVidia, so who knows. Maybe the GeForce 3 MX will cost $700. Why? Because it can. No competition anymore, it's all nVidia for true, hardcore and up to the moment gaming power.

Let´s wait and hope then. A simple idea can boost another great company. Remember when everything was Voodoo? I didn´t even know about Nvidia, what was that? some wanna-be?

just some no-name company pushing along something called 'Direct3D' or some shit. Who cares? How can you beat Glide? ;)

What do I think kicks ass? nVidia just bought 3DFX's progress on the tile based renderer. Oh yeah, let's get them things out already!

deadnail said:

You coulda filled that out a little more.

The Radeon card does 32 bit color great, but 16 has artifacting and isn't near as fast as it could be. It also has weaker T&L than the GF2, according to something I read on Voodoo Extreme a while back.

It's also worth mentioning that Unreal 2 is also being aimed at nVidia, so who knows. Maybe the GeForce 3 MX will cost $700. Why? Because it can. No competition anymore, it's all nVidia for true, hardcore and up to the moment gaming power.

My Matrox G400 seems to run everything fine

deadnail said:

just some no-name company pushing along something called 'Direct3D' or some shit. Who cares? How can you beat Glide? ;)

What do I think kicks ass? nVidia just bought 3DFX's progress on the tile based renderer. Oh yeah, let's get them things out already!

I think DooM3 ideal video card is going to show up earlier than Carmack expected. This "acquirement" (devouring would be a better term) will bring the top features of each company into one single card. NV20 won´t be the lucky one, but whatever cames after that, is going to widely blow apart the NV20.

Zaldron said:

Dual Cray is what you´re talking about, and it costs about 1.2 million dollars. Besides, the Cray relies on multiple processor calculations. W95, W98, W2000, WME and Mac OS X are totally incompatible with this architecture. Even Linux isn´t capable of handling this machine, you have to use a UNIX-like system that are CODED specially for the task you´re going to accomplish with such a kick ass system. I doubt Carmack´s going to code a DooM3 friendly OS for Cray supercomputers, so your badly calculated 1200 fps falls to 0.

Don't take it so seriously! I think that little joke of mine backfired.

Guest elyuca
the-widow-maker said:

What are you talking about? If I could have any pc it would be a cray super-computer, cos' it has about 5 tetra hertz of power and could run doom3 at 1,200 fps (or something)

I'm not such a bad guy...I am? Well fuck you then mister.

you mean terahertz
I would go for yottahertz

Hey I thought it went hertz,
kilohertz - 1000hz,
megahertz - 1000000hz (1Mhz),
gigahertz - 1000000000hz (1000Mhz),
terahertz - 1000000000000hz (1000Ghz),
petahertz - 1000000000000000hz (1000Thz),
exahertz - 1000000000000000000hz (1000Phz),

... what the hell is yotta or are you just being a smartass?

Guest elyuca

They are common latin prefixxes that can be added to anything that is measured metrically (eg. bytes, hertz, meters, liters, etc)

yotta 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
zetta 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
exa 1,000,000,000,000,000,000
peta 1,000,000,000,000,000
tera 1,000,000,000,000
giga 1,000,000,000
mega 1,000,000
kilo 1,000

How about a googolbyte?
10 with 100 zeros in bytes
heh
http://www.webstreetstudios.com/school/bitsbytes.htm

Damn, how about a googolplexhertz?

To the people : Yes, this numbers (googol and googolplex exists, they were named by some mathematic´s 9 year old nephew)

A googolplex´s a 1 followed by a googol of zero´s...
That´s a number so big that is completely useless in this Universe.

I could have sworn that a googleplex was a google to the power of a google.There are numbers so big that prefixes such as the ones elyuca was talking about have to be used (yotta= 10 to the power of 24) but the google plex is so big that if all matter in the universe were converted into writing material,you wouldnt have enough to write out the number.Also check out this number idea but Indian priests:imagine a sphere 1000000 times the size of the sun,made of a substance 1000000 times harder than diamond.Every 1000000 years an old man comes along and brushes the edge of this sphere very lightly with his beard-how long would it take for the sphere to completely wear away? I don't know about you but thats a fuck off number!

Zaldron said:

Damn, how about a googolplexhertz?

To the people : Yes, this numbers (googol and googolplex exists, they were named by some mathematic´s 9 year old nephew)

A googolplex´s a 1 followed by a googol of zero´s...
That´s a number so big that is completely useless in this Universe.

Have you heard of centillion? Thats 1 with 600 zeros.
Imagine something like (10^600)^(10^600)
thats a centillion to the power of centillion. And widow maker said all the matter in the universe couldn't write the number. Uh dude you can write any number. You have no idea how much matter there is in the universe.

Guest elyuca
Psyonisis said:

How about a googolbyte?
heh

Theres not enough of anything to count a Google, not even atoms! much less a Google Plex. a 10 to the Googleth power. This is a stupid number made up by some idiot. It only serves as a little mind boggler.

deadnail said:

I can verify that first-hand: my office just got the newest Intel Pentium3-933's and motherboards, and I had to set up their corresponding computers. The only thing more unstable than those is WindowsME. It took them over 3 months just to get a BIOS out that made those units semi-functional, and they're already pushing out P4's? Please...

Psyonisis said:

How about a googolbyte?
heh

LOLOLOL, That will be in like maybe 50 or 60 years before that speed comes out!!!!!!!!!
and if i ran my own pc, i would run an intell Deerfield =====)))))

elyuca said:

Theres not enough of anything to count a Google, not even atoms! much less a Google Plex. a 10 to the Googleth power. This is a stupid number made up by some idiot. It only serves as a little mind boggler.

A 100 zeros isn't hard to do man

Guest elyuca

Sorry, theres not enough of anything to count a GPlex

Guest elyuca
the-widow-maker said:

I could have sworn that a googleplex was a google to the power of a google.There are numbers so big that prefixes such as the ones elyuca was talking about have to be used (yotta= 10 to the power of 24) but the google plex is so big that if all matter in the universe were converted into writing material,you wouldnt have enough to write out the number.Also check out this number idea but Indian priests:imagine a sphere 1000000 times the size of the sun,made of a substance 1000000 times harder than diamond.Every 1000000 years an old man comes along and brushes the edge of this sphere very lightly with his beard-how long would it take for the sphere to completely wear away? I don't know about you but thats a fuck off number!

I asked m chemistry teacher, a very smart guy, he said if you mark every atom in the universe with a zero, you would never have enough atoms to write all the zeros in a GPlex.

Well, well.

From personal experience, I'd have to say an AMD Athlon Thunderbird, preferably as high a clockspeed as you can afford.

I've got a 1.2Ghz Tbird with the FSB at 150Mhz DDR and using DDR SDRAM, it's...sweet. Combine that with my insanely overclocked (35Mhz) Voodoo5, and you get pure gaming goodness.

One of my friends' parents bought him a brand new Dell P4 (I think it's a Dell, they're up Intel's ass pretty hardcore) 1.4Ghz with the same amount of RAM as mine (800Mhz RDRAM instead of my PC2100 300Mhz DDR SDRAM)), and a Geforce2 GTS, and I can honestly say that my computer outperforms his in many applications, most of which are games. Perhaps this has something to do with my SCSI RAID setup, but I could be wrong.

One of our mutual friends (yes, we're all spoiled little brats) has a PIII Coppermine at 1Ghz (Coppermine means it has copper interconnects, and has the L2 cache on-chip) and an overclocked Voodoo5 and he can generally match our friend Jarrod's P4. Although, we have a hard time telling the difference in framerates anyway, but here's another factor to look at.

My system, for CPU, motherboard, and RAM, was barely 1/3rd of what Jarrod paid for his P4's CPU, motherboard, and RAM. And my motherboard is the top-of-the-line, newest board, supporting IDE RAID (which I don't use) and DDR SDRAM (which I do use). His motherboard could best be described as a bare-bones board, supporting the weaker RDRAM specification, and only two IDE channels. (Mine has four.) Ken's motherboard, CPU, and RAM were considerably cheaper as well (the guy with the PIII).

So there you have it. Make your choice.

Psyonisis said:

Have you heard of centillion? Thats 1 with 600 zeros.
Imagine something like (10^600)^(10^600)
thats a centillion to the power of centillion. And widow maker said all the matter in the universe couldn't write the number. Uh dude you can write any number. You have no idea how much matter there is in the universe.

No, its true by the calculations. There isn't enough matter in this universe to store a googolplex, its not possible.

elyuca said:

100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Just had to write that one out. There are probably that many atoms and molecules in the universe. You know you'd need a cooling unit the size of New York City to keep a processor at that speed from overheating...

Katarhyne said:

Coppermine means it has copper interconnects, and has the L2 cache on-chip

uhh... Coppermine does NOT mean it uses copper interconnects, it's just a name. Check out Firingsquad's review if you don't believe me.

Lüt said:

100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Just had to write that one out. There are probably that many atoms and molecules in the universe. You know you'd need a cooling unit the size of New York City to keep a processor at that speed from overheating...

That's a small number lol
Think about this... 12 grams of carbon (basically a teaspoon) has 6.02 x 10^23 carbon atoms in it.

Yes, that's 602,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 carbon atoms.

There's a lot more atoms in the universe than that
lol