Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

What are you going to get it for? X-Box, PC??

Well, I figured, instead of spending $1200 for a good computer to run Doom-]I[ when it comes out, i'm going to buy the X-Box, since it will probably be ported to that. Besides, console ingame video's are always better than a PC's. So, what are you going to get Doom-]I[ for? Hell, i'll probably get both. One for looks, :P
~~
Imagine playing Doom-]I[ on this baby! ...
http://gamespydaily.com/screenshots/1006/xbox01.jpg
Click /\ !!!

Yeah. Here's some actual english subtitles in movies from Hong Kong:

* I am darn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

* Fatty, you with your thick face have hurt my instep.

* Gun wounds again?

* Same old rules: no eyes, no groin.

* A normal person wouldn't steal pituitaries.

* Darn, I'll burn you into a BBQ chicken.

* Take my advice, or I'll spank you a lot.

* Who gave you the nerve to get killed here?

* This will be of fine service for you, you bag of the scum. I
am sure you will not mind that I remove your toenails and leave
them out on the dessert floor for ants to eat.

* Quiet or I'll blow your throat up.

* I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!

- http://www.twistedhumor.com

Guest elyuca

Is that an actual picture of it on your signature?
Its ugly.
I was expecting a mid-tower size box with Microsoft sidewinder gamepads.
The controllers look way too big to be comfortable, and that green ball in the middle looks useless (unless its some sort of force feedback thingie)
Its probably one of those demo dummies made of wood and plastic anyway.

Look at this pic:
http://gamespydaily.com/screenshots/1006/xbox02.jpg
Modem, Power, and video, somethings missing, like a usb port for connecting it to your pc to sync or something with the X Box hd

This is one where you can see the controller plugs:
http://gamespydaily.com/screenshots/1006/xbox03.jpg
I dunno what that is above the plug, LED? FF thingie?

The controller:
http://gamespydaily.com/screenshots/1006/xbox04.jpg
Again, too big, and the green circle is starting to piss me off.

My original idea of having all the buttons beind the controller is not being paid attention, but it would be logical because you have 8 fingers just standing there behind the controller doing nothing except holding the controller in place. It would be allot smarter to put 8 or more buttons bhind the controller to give my thumb a rest.

Guest Dark_Fox

The video would no where near be as good as a Comp..
First off, the average TV has less than half the pixels of even a 15 in monitor.. the highest you may find is 640x480..
Pretty crappy..
Get a High-Res tv.. but shit.. they range in the thousands of dollars.. There is really no point..

elyuca said:

Okay, let's envision the perfect gamepad possible for the sake of argument and debate the faults of the X-Box pad.

1. Crosspad with easily defined NSEW points. The X-Box pad fails here badly. You need the four ends to make Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat commands easily and reliably. A disc is just poor design here, this is what the left analog stick is for.

2. Easily grippable analog stick heads. The only system that has gotten this right is the PSX and now it looks like the X-Box has caught on as well. Look at the top of that stick; your thumb should stay in place nicely!

3. Well placed buttons in tradition 2 by 2 or 2 by 3 formation. The X-Box goes for 2 by 3 although I prefer 2 by 2. Still gets points. The buttons need to be close enough to roll between them quickly, and if in 2 by 3 the middle column needs bumps on them so you don't have to look to tell where your hand is (like the notch on the 5 on your keypad to your right).

4. Top buttons. I've seen just L & R, two rows for L2 & R2 as well, and the latest one for PC also has L3 & R3. Would this make you happy, Elyuca? Personally I think the two rows are fine... for now.

5. Freelook. Face it, you don't need two Goddamn analog sticks... the right stick should just be replaced with a trackball so you play console ports of FPS games without having to spend more on custom keyboards and mice.

6. 2 buttons or more in odd position. Traditionally Select & Start, but I think another named 'Map' or maybe even a hatswitch would do nicely. Nintendo has failed this rule recently, having only 'Start'. Sega has practically ALWAYS failed this rule.

7. Primitive force feedback. Really it's just rumble and nothing else. Force feedback implies a bigass joystick that fights you in flight sim games, not a rattling controller when you're firing the machinegun. Oh well, they all have it now, although the Dreamcast should've known better and had it integrated.

8. A LONG GODDAMN CORD. I'm sick of being too damn close to the system. At least the X-Box comes with a 9½ foot long cord. Don't bring up wireless ones either, they lose the signal too damn easily. Also, would it be too much to have a stripe all along the cord that glows in the dark? Damn kids.

9. Ergonomic design. Rubberized grips, no edges cutting into your palms, rounded buttons to reduce blistering, balanced weight so it's not topheavy, and we can't forget the cigarette clip for those cravings during intense firefights. :)-~

10. EXPANDIBILITY. Namely, two ports. Memory cards, visual memory units, computer link cables (your harddrive is your memory card), microphones, ashtrays (j/k, tho would be nice! :), and OF COURSE... keypads. Tiny little keyboards... you can't tell me this wouldn't be somewhat useful.

Yes, those are USB ports on the X-Box... however, they have custom plugs and products for the X-Box have to be 'licensed'. Gotta make back the money you know.

Guest wessie

Ooooooooooooooh can't wait to see Cyberdemon in 68cm TV :)

WHO IS CYBERDEMON? DON'T KNOW? OK! GO PLAY DOOM NOW!

BYE!!!!

OH BY THE WAY DOOM STILL RULEZ!!!!!!!

Guest elyuca
deadnail said:

No, L & R buttons dont make me happy, no matter how many there are. Your 4 non-thumb fingers are anatomically made one way, and you cant change that (unless youre a freak). So, it would only seem logical to place buttons behind the controller, If you have your index, middle, and ring finger at the top of the controller, your pinkies are the only ones holding the controller in your hands, so its ergonomically not user friendly. Take a look at the Z button on the N64 controller, Its behind it, and can be pressed easily.
Basically the perfect controller would be one where you can hold it normally (the way you hold an open book) and place a trackball or analog stick on one side for your right thumb to work on, NSEW cross-pad for your left thumb, and 8 buttons behind the controller, one for each non-thumb.
The cross pad would be made of teflon so your fingers can slide easily without getting blistered. If there will be an analog stick, something like the PSX would work, maybe witha a little indentation to make your thumb fit it. Also, the stick could be pressed down as a special "button". The buttons behind the controller should be made of rubber, like TV remote buttons, so you dont loose grip on them. You wont need to slide around them, since all your fingers can work together as a team (that sounded gay) to get the job done.
One idea I had long ago was to have some sort of ball,inside the controller, kinda like a mouse ball, encased in a little sphere coated with tiny little sensors on the inside, so that when you jerk the controller back and forth and left to right, the ball would bounce around in the sphere, activating the sensors inside the sphere, the signal would be sent to the CPU, and the game would react upon it. This would be usefull for First person games, since every time something came at me really fast, I used to jerk the controller to the left or right thinking stupidly that this would make me quickly dodge the projectile. Thts where I got the idea from, and maybe it will be done someday. But I guess that for something to be made like that and be fitted inside the confines of a controller would cost too much money.

Update: as for the trackball to play FPS PC ports, deadnail, a touchpad like in notebooks, I think, would be more accurate and easy to controll.
As for the start, select, and map buttons, why not just have your basic start to serve as pause and what not. And arround it, a some 4-6 costumizable buttons that you can use to get non-time-crucial things, like maps, inventory, log, history, diary of events, etc that the game would support.
Something that console games piss me off is that you cant costumize the buttons to your pleasure, youre stuck with one arrangement, and sometimes, they only have 3 or 4 prearranged setups that you have to choose from. Whats so hard about "press the key that you would like to be 'fire' now" or "select the function with the start button, and assign it by pressing the button you would like for that function to be assigned to" or somethin like that.

Ooooh, it's a black box.... That give me no idea of what the game-play is like... Last black box I played anything on was Sega.. and that wasn't very good.. although RoadRash is always fun...

S./

elyuca said:

Yes, consoles are the devil, the day they take over from computers, Satan truly will have made his kingdom on Earth... I say boycott the xbox, besides, it's made by Microsuck....

S./

elyuca said:

The 3 sets of L & R buttons are recessed within the pad like the Z trigger on an N64 pad... the pad rests on the top of your fingers until you pull one in, so you're not just holding the thing with your pinkies. Even then, if the buttons have no use what harm would it do to hold them in? :)

Your controller idea sounds fine, although what supports it? Your palms? Also, I'll just assume that you meant the crosspad should be coated with teflon. The stick click thing is almost totally useless but it's handy for 1 out of 1000 games so why not. The buttons don't have to be made out of rubber to get a good grip on them, simple rounded-edged textured plastic does the trick nicely without ending up mushy and unresponsive. Buttons need to have a good, tactile click to them and spring back.

Don't know about your 'jerking balls' idea, although there are a lot of controllers you can tilt to the left or right and recieve a response. Wouldn't the vibration give your jerking balls an unwanted response (Jesus I thought that sounded stupid the 32nd time I said that! :) ?

As for touchpads, well, I'm used to hi-resolution trackballs. Never tried a touchpad and I'm not fond of the idea either, it just doesn't seem practical to me. Not yet, anyhow.

Can't assign any button the way you want? Hmm, you must've never played a Capcom game. Or Quake 2 for N64. Or Quake 3 for Dreamcast. *MOST* good games let you have full control sceme configuration; only a few good games lack this. Quake 2 for PSX was one of them, really a shame.

elyuca said:

Again, too big, and the green circle is starting to piss me off.
Maybe Its A Magic Green Circle! :)