Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Intresting information

I was looking a bit on Quake3World forums lately and I noticed an intresting post from one of the guys who saw DOOM in action a couple of months ago (I managed to read it and print it before Paul Jaquays deleted it(!)

"Kenn Scott gave me a little demo of the lighting effects while I was at id a couple of months ago. It looks frickin amazing. there was a "windowsblinds" effect which blew my mind - light was shining on to a model as if through venetian blinds, and when the model rotated the windowblinds lighting moved across the mode's surface realistically. It looked amazing.
The fact that one of the models he was showing was the Baron of Hell also rocked"

What is there to confirm?
Paul Jaquays already confirmed that Mack Daddy Si (that's his name) saw DOOM indeed!
He deleted the post because the guy shouldn't have said anything at all! (and Mack also apologized).

Dima said:

Paul Jaquays already confirmed that Mack Daddy Si saw DOOM indeed! He deleted the post because the guy shouldn't have said anything at all!

Jeez, that guy whines so much he should be working with Trent Reznor.

Oh wait, he is! Heh, what a concept.

Dima said:

The fact that one of the models he was showing was the Baron of Hell also rocked"

i guess we know for damn sure that the baron is gonna make a return... YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Well, I`m back.
If anyone noticed that I stopped posting several days ago, that`s because I´m on vacations.
However, as the Internet addict I am, I`ve managed to get a fricking computer where to check my daily sites.

Mmh, Dima, remember when we where talking about the lighting stuff, that I wanted to see projection maps available on the light entities? Guess my wishes came true after all. Im really curious, if the Baron of Hell`s already created (at least the polymesh), iD`s pushing this game with all their efforts...

Anyway, checking back all the messages I didn`t read, I should answer deadnail`s question...

What should I want to see in the DooM3 lighting sub?

· First than all, projection maps. And according to Dima that`s a reality.

· self-shadowing in models. I want to see the chest of the player obscured by the arms and the gun.

· Extensive light sources. This is a shame, since Quake everyone`s using puntual lights (omni) to archieve real lighting artifacts. A fluorescent? 2 omnis separated by few inches. Sunlight? A grid of powerful omnis placed near the sky.
This time I want to see real extensive light sources (that means that lightrays doesn`t came from a point, but from a set of surfaces). It`s an important feature, since the "blurriness" of the shadows rely in the size of the light source. Turn on a flashlight, and the shadows will be dark and defined. Turn on a fluorescent, and the shadows will be pale, blurry stuff.
I think this is hard to code, at least for now.

That`s everything I can think right now.... well, back to the beach :)

BTW : Dima, or someone, send this to Linguica. This is hot stuff for DoomWorld news...