Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doom4Ever

careing

Guest Doom4Ever

i notice when i play doom or any other game, all that happens when i die is that i get frustrated cause i have died at that same freakedn part a million times, but i dont really care what happens to the charicter. you all can make fun of me for this but one time i was reading this book(which wishes to remail anonymous) and it built up so much atmosphere and fleshed out the charicters so much that it was like i actually knew them. and in the book when i got to the part where they died i stopped reading and put the book down and ,seriously, started crying and that night i couldnt get to sleep because of what i read. it was like i cared that they died and they are just charicters. doom3 should be like this. the game shouldnt have scary stuff but it should make you scared to play the game cause you know you will be afraid of the dark for the rest of your life. npc's should be built up so its like you actually want to protect them unlike half-life where you kill all the security guards at first sight cause you want their ammo.

Guest Lament

Hmmm... to make the game realistic, there should no NPC's... said but true. Making a realistic NPC is far beyond modern technology ;)
(Except some HL scientists which died almost instantly after you first saw them...)

I don't really know if something like that is feasible in an action oriented game such as the new Doom will be. Still, for Doom3 to transcend the genre, there will certainly have to be some kind of innovation in areas other than technology or gameplay. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
I'm confident that id will create a game that is superior to all others in 3d technology. I don't think they are capable of anything more beyond that though.

Lament said:

Hmmm... to make the game realistic, there should no NPC's... said but true. Making a realistic NPC is far beyond modern technology ;)
(Except some HL scientists which died almost instantly after you first saw them...)

A realistic character is not beyond modern technology, it's just beyond the time/money/capabilities of most software companies,
you should see some of the stuff some non-games companies have done/are doing.

There's a yearly competion with a panel who have to guess whether the "person" they're talking to is a real person or a computer, and while they've never yet thought that a computer was a person (they have thought that a couple of people were computers :) ), it's getting closer and closer.

There's also some VERY advanced AI being developed at the moment. When it comes out (hopefully very soon) make sure you check out Black & White. According to several magazine previews, it has the most advanced AI of any game ever made.