Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The /er2

Zdoom vs. Jdoom

Woolie Wool said:

ZDOOM will run Hell Revealed at an acceptable framerate. JDOOM won't.
ZDOOM doesn't resize your desktop when you close the program. JDOOM does.
ZDOOM has obituaries. JDOOM doesn't.
ZDOOM can be played for more than 40 minutes without blowing up. JDOOM... well... you know. :)

JDOOM has no framerate problems in HR for me, get a better comp.
JDOOM doesn't resize my desktop, get better drivers.

It depends on what u want
JDOOM=fancy graphics but minimal scripting and options(Has gotten better though)
ZDOOM=Classic, fully compatible with ....everything!!! software rendering makes it looks like crap!!! Download ZDoomGL

If you have a fast pc that can handle JDoom, I recommend that, altough U need a solid video card, Sorry Fellas....Rage 128's and TNT's just wont do

ZDoom *is* actually good for playing. The mouse control in the latest version feels even more comfortable than that in doom2.exe.

The /er2 said:

Zdoom doesnt have opengl unless you use Zdoomgl. Jdoom has scripting abilities already, you can do almost everything that you can do in Zdoom. Jdoom has lens flares, 3d models (good ones) Really cool smoke trails, glowing water, particles such as blood and fire clouds, Smooth model movement, New Hud Weapons, awesome lighting, Surround sound support, Mp3 support, and of course all of the basic stuff (auto aim off, crosshair, new hud, jumping, shortcut keys, etc.)
There is also pain skins for the monsters. The more you shoot them, the more bloody they get. Not to mention that the Zombies have several different faces like in Unreal Tournament.

Someone said that Zdoom is always getting better? They hardly ever update... Sky Jake is working on Jdoom all year around and constantly releasing new versions. The only better thing I can see about Zdoom is just a few extra scripting options, and that's it. Everything else looks 10x better in Jdoom. Infact, I am always in touch with Sky Jake, and he plans on making the next Jdoom support up to 85 FPS. It will also contain lots and lots of other good stuff.

JDoom DOES go over 85 FPS, just turn your Vsynch off! :)

Woolie Wool said:

ZDOOM can be played for more than 40 minutes without blowing up. JDOOM... well... you know. :)

Certain levels with loads of monsters slow me down but never bring me below double digit FPS (say 25 FPS minimum)

Woolie Wool said:

Certain levels with loads of monsters slow me down but never bring me below double digit FPS (say 25 FPS minimum)

ZDoom, even though Legacy was my first port, ZDoom just has all this cool shit that JDoom doesn't have. Plus Sky Jake is a dick IMO...

BTW that pistol is used in Son of Generations for Quake II.

ZDoom for me is the one of choice because of it's many features, not just for playing but for editing as well. Doom is Doom, if I want all the nice eye candy then I fire up Quake3 or maybe Unreal or any of those other games. People play Doom because it doesn't take a monster computer or a super graphics card to play it. Can I personally say anything bad about JDoom? Not really, I've never played it, but from what I've seen on the posts I don't want to play it. I'm having to much fun just playing Doom. I could play JDoom without a hitch, got all the updated drivers, I run a P3-700mhz with 768 megs of ram with a GeForce 2 Ultra card. Still like ZDoom and my next port of choice is PrBoom because of it's closeness to original Doom style of play.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Very good self promotion right there!

jDoom does has it's own scripting system, well not really, more of a set of extended linedefs...called XG.

Someone has probably already mentioned that (probably even me) but I couldn't be bothered reading back and my memory is bad :P

It was probably me; Olympus.wad, currently on /newstuff, has a host of new xg line and sector types added to it. Episode II of 'The Underworld' megawad will take advantage of these to the full - making for maximum atmosphere and complicated event chains.

esayeek said:

JDOOM has no framerate problems in HR for me, get a better comp.
JDOOM doesn't resize my desktop, get better drivers.

I THINK 933 MEGAHERTZ AND AN NVIDIA GEFORCE SHOULD BE FAST ENOUGH FOR ALMOST ANYTHING, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

JDoom just looks too much like those true 3D FPS anymore, ZDoom still captures that real, genuine DooM experience IMO, nothin' like killing pseudo real sprites with an army toy

So disable 3d models and sprite blending.
Meh.

Shaviro said:

bah. DOOM in GL doesn't look too good, IMO.

At least Cacodemons, Demons, and Barons off in the distance don't look brown on a GL port. I always hate light shading in 256 colors. It looks...ugly.

Woolie Wool said:

At least Cacodemons, Demons, and Barons off in the distance don't look brown on a GL port. I always hate light shading in 256 colors. It looks...ugly.

I once made a palette hack that fixed this. It required making a modified IWAD though.

jdoom is by fare better than zdoom , zdoom was good when it came out and it still has the same old bugs it had then..

but legacy is the best as of right now :)

The /er2 said:

Zdoom doesnt have opengl unless you use Zdoomgl. Jdoom has scripting abilities already, you can do almost everything that you can do in Zdoom. Jdoom has lens flares, 3d models (good ones) Really cool smoke trails, glowing water, particles such as blood and fire clouds, Smooth model movement, New Hud Weapons, awesome lighting, Surround sound support, Mp3 support, and of course all of the basic stuff (auto aim off, crosshair, new hud, jumping, shortcut keys, etc.)

Prefer the old weapons, cause they look better. Nor do I like the lighting effects, they're not realistic.
Also I don't like the 3d monsters, lost souls, baron and knights are good, the spectres are even better then the original ones. But the others I find ugly, also they look somewhat disabled.

There is also pain skins for the monsters. The more you shoot them, the more bloody they get. Not to mention that the Zombies have several different faces like in Unreal Tournament.

That's nice indeed.

Someone said that Zdoom is always getting better? They hardly ever update... Sky Jake is working on Jdoom all year around and constantly releasing new versions. The only better thing I can see about Zdoom is just a few extra scripting options, and that's it. Everything else looks 10x better in Jdoom.

Running zdoom is easy, dl and start. For jdoom I had to download some visbas dll, then adjust memory settings, disabling the lens flares, it runs slowly and startup times are high. If I want eye candy I'll use legacy, it's the only port which runs good on my computer(vanilla, zdoom have sound problems, edge won't run). Also legacy is more user friendly and polished and faster then jdoom. Jdoom promises alot but still has a long way to go. A choice between the two is easy for me, zdoom.

Interesting - Jdoom also allows you to create completely new enemies without replacing old ones via the defenition files. Lovely!

Mouselook/Jump = Quakish
Crosshair = have doubts about your own natural abilities?
Certain fatal aspects have shifted or taken away: silent BFG, block sounds, & grabbing of plasma rifle on map01.
Visuals: graphical, architectural and geometrical advancements = I don't mind...so far, as long as the gameplay owns.

It's sad to see people don't appreciate the true, oldskewl Doom movements instead of going for as Quakish.

Fuck 'old school'. I LOVE using mouse look. I like being able to kill a chaingunner standing on a ledge above me with out having to waste 100 bullets tying to get the moronic auto aim to work.

I use both Jdoom and Zdoom for different resons.

Ct_red_pants, yeah... I'm sure you have many more great resons to use those awsome engines.

999cop said:

Mouselook/Jump = Quakish
Crosshair = have doubts about your own natural abilities?
Certain fatal aspects have shifted or taken away: silent BFG, block sounds, & grabbing of plasma rifle on map01.
Visuals: graphical, architectural and geometrical advancements = I don't mind...so far, as long as the gameplay owns.

It's sad to see people don't appreciate the true, oldskewl Doom movements instead of going for as Quakish.

If don't like mlook and jump, turn them off. If don't like crosshair, turn it off. Yes, I have limited natural abilities and appreciate the crosshair, especially for placing rockets through far-off windows (using mlook, of course).

Silent BFG is now available as a compatibility option. No idea about sounds or plasma grabbing..I'd be interested to hear Randy's answers if you would ask about them on the zdoom forums.

As a long-time doomer who played doom2.exe 1.9 for many, many hours on DWANGO, I sense little difference between that and zdoom. I'm not saying zero difference, but very very little. It's still doom, and whether you and the other players use doom2.exe or zdoom at a LAN, the fun is just the same. I met some quite good players on DWANGO and they have come to my house for LAN parties. No one has had any complaints about the fun and competitiveness of the games using zdoom, or felt that the physics had changed in a way to adversely affect their game.

Oh yeah, I bought and tried Quake. Don't like it at all. Had much more fun playing Quake2, that is a pretty good LAN game. The gang got into team Rocket Arena for a while, I did not care as much for it because I usually spent a lot of time sitting, watching while the remaining players knocked each other off. :)

Duke Nukem was a great game for LAN too, except that it had a tendency to go out of sync before a game was finished.

slayer wtf are you talking about???
i have a tnt2 32mb and a p2 233@250 that runs jdoom at a solid 30 frames per seccond, even when i stand point blank and fire the plasma gun, thats the real way to see if the fps drops, and it it doesnt, than you set.

aslo, i am pissed that no one is talking about edge.
its basically zdoom and jdoom combined.
but not as many fetures as both but has the best scripting ever!!!!!

kain said:

slayer wtf are you talking about???
i have a tnt2 32mb and a p2 233@250 that runs jdoom at a solid 30 frames per seccond, even when i stand point blank and fire the plasma gun, thats the real way to see if the fps drops, and it it doesnt, than you set.

Probably because you have particles disabled. Enable them and try again... Jdoom runs fine for me if i disable particles and md2s, though.

I like ZDOOM's MLOOK. I always have a WONDERFUL (sarcasm implied) time trying to nail chaingunners through small, high windows. Now I just move the mouse up, select the plasma rifle or chaingun, line up my crosshair, and blast the chaingunner to smithereens. I also found it useful for shooting down at enemies from a ledge. I always hate it when an enemy gets close enough to the ledge to get out of my line of sight, preventing me from shooting it. In ZDOOM I just look down, pinpoint that sneaky monster, and fire. Also, looking up and down does not take the strategy out of MAP30. If you look up and fire at the brain, the rockets will hit the ceiling of the little chamber where John Romero's head is, instead of the head itself.

The XGdata chain-event effects in Jdoom clinches it for me.
Example (map12 of The Underworld)
One switch raises small sectors with lower dbrain1 textures (replaced with blood), giving the impression of filling pipes. This switch also opens three doors, changes wall textures to blood, flats to blood, and delivers custom event messages.

Theres also ambient sound, flats and textures can scroll in pretty much any direction, and custom coloured lights, not to mention gravity and wind effects..

AND mouselook :)

nope they are enabled
the only thing that make it slow down a tad is md2 models, but other than that, its got solid frame rate.