Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
the-widow-maker

sniping and hand to hand combat weapons

Do u think that d3 should enclude these features? Myself I believe they should exclude sniping cos' it is too 'chicken' and the deamons can see u from 5 miles away anyway. But they should have hand-to hand weapons in the form of a souped up chainswa or something,that can be upgraded thro the game

Sniping: In Doom 3 it can be Rail-Gun (it was LOOONG discussion here bout that device...) - big, heavy, uranium slugs loadible death-bringer with a slooow rotate of fire (1,5 - 2,5 secs. reaload), but with superior speed (the same as it was in Q2, probobly: big'n'heavy nuclear gun...)...

Hand to hand combat: may requre in future much more then knife or fist, and besides persentage of armor will be so high that this kind of hand weapons become useless. Gauntlet with a portable auto-saw (like Q3A) might be good for space marine: got a problem with a doorlock or to get off a head in combat helmet - no problemo, for ya, while you got it. Also strike of this weapon may couse huge damage in hand to hand combat and shock your enemy.
Well, bout chainsaw, i liked that in Doom, but unfortuanetlly i cant see the use for that in Doom 3....

I think sniping _should_ be there, as there'd be complaints from people. Personally, though, I hate snipers/campers/whatever. So, make the railgun REALLY buzz, like a loud huming, to give away their position. In SP or DM this would work, as both monsters _and_ players would be fully aware of the camper's presence before the inevitable frustration of being sniped upon happens.

Melee weapons? Personally (And I'm probably the only one) I'd go for either the Q3A gauntlet, or the long-awaited return of the Berserk pack. Actually, a lot of the levels I edit for the Doom games start of with the pack -- I love it!

Also, I liked the FIGHTER's fist from Hexen, three punches, the third having one hell of a recovery, but being more powerful. It's not in the name of realism, but I'd go for it.

I also think there must not be a sniper weapon (still thinking about poor JFK), but a long range precise aim instant hit weapon is needed.

Guest JudgeDooM
wasted said:

persentage of armor will be so high that this kind of hand weapons become useless.

Assuming the armor will be useful, 'cuz in Doom and Doom II, it was useless.

Well, the main problem is that any weapon that can sinpe from a long distance, for the sake of gameplay, cannot be very powerful.

My idea for a rail-gun is more like a glorified machinegun, it would probably look alot like the railgun from eraser, but fully automatic and not too mcuh powerful than standard bullets anyway (maybe twice or three times as much damage at most).

Damage combined with firing rate, would allow it to do just as much damage in the same amount of time as the "standard" railgun (and possibly twice as much), but it would be less lethal because moving targets could get hit twice and take 70 damage, but the same moving target could by chance get grazed by the mean railgun and take 120 easy (which is unfair in my opinion).

IMO the Plasma Rifle should be the one to do lots of damage (this one should do about 100 damage/hit), and not the railgun. Plasma weapons would either shoot out electricity (and be weak, but shoot instant beams), or shoot balls/bursts of plasma and have concussive force. To a certain extent the original plasma rifle (and quake 3 plasma rifle) shoot bursts, but they are low powered.

If anyone has a problem understanding plasma guns. Here is an example of each kind:
*Lightning gun = plasma rifle that shoots electricity (electricity through the air is plasma).
*Staff Blaster (stargate) = plasma gun that shoots bursts of incandescent & compressed gasses (explodes upon impact).