Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zaldron

UAC?

Looks like iD´s bringing the UAC for the New DooM. As DooMworld news says, they registered the domain name www.ua-corp.com.
There´s nothing there yet, but, there´s a secret line of text that says :

"All your base are belong to us!"

Besides, check this stuff on the Quake3world.com editing forums :

SUICIDE20 : I'm really depressed that Quake3 didn't ship with any type of partical effects... Have been since release...
All I have to say is that the next game better have some nice partical effects, ei. Weather Effects Snow/Rain.

PAUL JAQUAYS : Rain ... on Mars?

That line of text scares me... that one line... gave birth to a 500+ post thread on the Starsiege Tribes boards a couple months ago...

Yeah... same phrase... I don't remember the exact URL... my brother pointed it out to me... it's somewhere on the www.tribalwar.com forums though...

Guest elyuca

The graphics look ok, maybe the bew doom interface will look like that

Well, this means only that Earth´s not one of the locations. And Mars could be possible the only one to have atmosphere in the way we know it. Space stations, Deimos, Phobos and Hell also could be present...

Well, probobly id could manage to give us Dust hurricanes on Mars. It might be really effective: skyes go darker and darker and then it comes a black dust wall, and it goes AGRHOOOAAAARRRRRKAAABOOOOM and etc. (Well you could probobly see that while your walking on the scape of the planet, and if you not going to put your ass in a inside the base... I mean sound of hurricane may by heard even inside the UAC base, where you can start the game. (thats only suggestion :) It should be nice to have some weather effects on Earth, especially at winter or automn, so...

(for more info about Mars and Doom3 setting look last wasted message....)

Zaldron said:

Well, this means only that Earth´s not one of the locations. And Mars could be possible the only one to have atmosphere in the way we know it. Space stations, Deimos, Phobos and Hell also could be present...

Ok, if Mars will be earthlike it would be no problem. There musn´t be Earth as a location, but there really should be an earth-like environment. I don´t want all the levels with low gravity (Mars has lower gravity then earth, right?) or cached in artificially environments all the time, that would be really annoying.
If Mars would be terraformed it could work well as an earth-like environment. Maybe it would look a bit like Stroggos in Quake2, with the red sky and the desert environment.
I remember there even is ice at the north and south pole of Mars? So you could also have some weather effects in that regions.

Terraformation of the entire mars atmosphere would take 800 years using terran microbes. It´s true that Mars has lower gravity than Earth, but it´s not by much. In fact, if you consider that the regular Quake Marine carries like 8-10 weapons, full armor, and can jump long up to 4 meters, then Mars gravity´s believable setting for such an stamina-burner effort.

There´s some weird things on Mars. As wasted pointed, there´s hurricanes. And were talking real stuff, 300 km/h for example. And the martian atmosphere makes really weird refractions on the light spectre. On dawn, one side of the rocks is red, while in the opposite side there´s a blue shade over it.

The problem with a terraformed Mars is that it would look too much like Earth. The atmosphere would turn blue, because the actual pink/yellow clouds of Mars are toxic for aerobic beings.

There are 2 poles, yeah, but they aren´t made of iced water. Anyway, it would be interesting to have the UAC bases there. It´s cold on Mars, it´s not the ideal place to set Hell like the Bible represents it.

The other problem with Mars is it flatness, plain, brown/red ground sprayed with black rocks. Boring. Even Mount Olympus, the greatest one on the Solar System (26 km) has many hundreds of kilometers as radius, so it looks more like a soft slope than a spike.