Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomsick

about all these plot concerns

it seems to me that many of the denizins (us) of the doom3 forum are quite concerned about the plot of next doom. personally, this is the last of my concerns. id is not known for it's plot writing abilities anyway...i'm much more interested in the stuff within the game that got us all addicted in the first place, and it wasn't the "gripping" plot. give me a game full of high res demons, the double barrel and some ammo and paint me happy. i wouldn't care if it was a total re-run (plot-wise).

This is exactly the kind of shit that endorses game companies to make bad games. With this kind of attitude, games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, Counter-Strike and other gems would never have been made.

I personally DO care about the plot of the new Doom game. In my opinion, id have made a number of mistakes in the past concerning plot, gameplay and technology. I see Doom 3 as the game that's finally going to do The Right Things.

With 10 years if experience at the top of the gaming industry, id have no excuse not to make this perfect. We put our trust in thee, John Carmack, master of the Universe.

Guest elyuca

More like putting your hope on Graeme Devine, the game designer. He was hired during the Q3A project, and it was id's least plot-interesting game so.....

Guest wrexsoul
Lord FlatHead said:

This is exactly the kind of shit that endorses game companies to make bad games. With this kind of attitude, games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, Counter-Strike and other gems would never have been made.

I personally DO care about the plot of the new Doom game. In my opinion, id have made a number of mistakes in the past concerning plot, gameplay and technology. I see Doom 3 as the game that's finally going to do The Right Things.

With 10 years if experience at the top of the gaming industry, id have no excuse not to make this perfect. We put our trust in thee, John Carmack, master of the Universe.

I wouldn't say that id is on top of the PC game industry anymore, and they are certainly nowhere near the top of the general global game industry.

iD´s still at the peak. But a peak much more important that gaming sales (cause we all know that the title belongs to the creators of "Who Want´s to be a Millonaire II"). iD´s moving today´s technollogy. What´s the prefered benchmark system for companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, 3dfx, ATI?? Quake3.
When DooM went out, everyone wanted a 486
When Quake came out, everyone looked for a Pentium 90 minimum
Quake2 --> Gimme a VooDoo1 now!
Quake3 --> I need money for my kickass Gforce 2 Ultra

To me, it looks like iD´s the company that moves hardware and even software into the right direction. Many great games were made with their license, and their "First Person Shooter" concept.

Guest wrexsoul

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure Enix's Dragon Quest VII blew `Millionaire out of the water, and then into deep space, where it was pummeled further for combo damage. DQVII is the highest selling video game ever made, if I'm wrong about this it is certainly in the top 3.

Zaldron said:

iD´s still at the peak. But a peak much more important that gaming sales (cause we all know that the title belongs to the creators of "Who Want´s to be a Millonaire II"). iD´s moving today´s technollogy. What´s the prefered benchmark system for companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, 3dfx, ATI?? Quake3.
When DooM went out, everyone wanted a 486
When Quake came out, everyone looked for a Pentium 90 minimum
Quake2 --> Gimme a VooDoo1 now!
Quake3 --> I need money for my kickass Gforce 2 Ultra

To me, it looks like iD´s the company that moves hardware and even software into the right direction. Many great games were made with their license, and their "First Person Shooter" concept.

ever since doom, games are what make people upgrade their pcs, think abouyt it. a guy has a 486 that runs windows 95, he doestn paly games, and all he does is use word or some other desktop program, maybe soem web surfing. if he doesnt play games then he wouldnt need a very fast conection. (most likely anyway). and hes not gonna go buy a $3000 pc with a 1.5 ghz cpu, with 256 megs of ram and a geforce 2 ultra, unless he play games. you dont need that to type. if it wasnt for doom a 486 would probably still be selling.

Lord FlatHead said:

given id's reputation in the plot department, i wouldn't get my hopes up too high, however, it's a good point that id has a golden opportunity here to clear up old errors... i'm just not betting the farm on a great plot.