Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hopeless

Exactly how good will the new engine be?

Guest Hopeless

From what I have heard, Carmack is writing a completely new engine for the next doom. I am very interested in exactly how much better it will be compared to modern engines.

Even if you look at the Unreal Tournament engine (used in Deus Ex I believe), it's very funny to look at people, especially when the're "trying to talk".

Will the new doom engine be something new, or will it be "polygon stuffed"? Good or not, my expectations are VERY high, because I am a very big doom fan, and really fed up with square models. My hopes are that the new engine will be able to look like a well rendered hollywood movie (like I said, I have high expectations).

So my question is: is what I want impossible, or is it likely to achieve that level of detail? Feel free to speculate.

Guest Stealthy Ivan

By the time doom3 actually hits the shelves(probably 2/3years), they would have had lots of time to modify and work on it, so it should be kick ass!!!!

I hope??

I wrote a hundred times about this, so I´ll make a resume for you :

1) Real lighting : Everything cast shadows, including items, models, and the level brushes. Each shadow is dynamically calculated using Nvidia´s latest pixel shaders technollogy, archieving smooth, highly detailed shadows. The lighting´s done in the same way. Light passing trough colored glasses will colorify the enviroment. Every light can move, and the whole scene is adapted at real-time.

2) Dynamic World : Compilling´s gone. The VIS calculations are made with Portal technollogy. The engine would be able to twist, bend, scale, rotate, move, partially destroy, etc every piece of the architecture. Full-fledged physics will be present.

3) Polycount : WoooHooo, big polycounts.

4) Bumpmaps : Every texture has now an embedded grayscale texture that lets the engine to simulate embossing and bevelling on the texture details. Bricks will bump out. The cracks on the marine´s hand will be visible, the circuitry of the machines will look like if it reall exist, the Cacodemon skin will look all noisy, etc.

5) Engine-powered editor. Results on real time, as you create the level.

6) New modding code.

7) A network code that will take advantage of broadband connection features.

8) Good Quake3 stuff, shaders, curved surfaces, etc.

This is what I BELIEVE. And yet, I have enough proof from iD to ensure this things. I´m 99% sure.

Ohhh boy, it's going to be good. You know they're using 16 colours, and they've grown out of using text characters, now? New technology. Sprites or something, although they start to flicker a bit when there's a few of them. And we're on two channels at 11Khz now, just imagine the realistic sounds.

No, really :P

Guest Hopeless
Zaldron said:

Sounds impressive. Thanks for the details. I hope it's at least as good as you describe it.

Guest JackTheShitter!
Stealthy Ivan said:

By the time doom3 actually hits the shelves(probably 2/3years), they would have had lots of time to modify and work on it, so it should be kick ass!!!!

I hope??

You know what If its gonna take 2/3 years others would have made some thing alot better. No offence to Id but they do lack a bit of creativity. These days Its mainly focused on techinal, other companys will swipe that engine slice and dice it and come up some thing 3 times better than doom 3. It really cuts me up to say that sort of thing. But if one I have learnt off the gaming industry is that history loves to repeat it self...

Who knows? Mabey they will pull out Jesus from a hat...

Well, that´s at least a good thing.
There are many games today that are better than DooM, it´s called "progress". Sure, we still play it because it has a perfect and lovely feel. But no one here can say that DooM´s at the peak of the technical and design worlds.

After DooM3, thanks to engine licensing, even better games will come, until the NEXT THING from iD, wich will spawn more and better games. That´s good for both players and developers.

Hopeless said:

Sounds impressive. Thanks for the details. I hope it's at least as good as you describe it.

Don´t worry about that. Many of the things I said came in one way or another directly from Carmack´s mouth.

Guest Hopeless
JackTheShitter! said:

You know what If its gonna take 2/3 years others would have made some thing alot better. No offence to Id but they do lack a bit of creativity. These days Its mainly focused on techinal, other companys will swipe that engine slice and dice it and come up some thing 3 times better than doom 3. It really cuts me up to say that sort of thing. But if one I have learnt off the gaming industry is that history loves to repeat it self...

Who knows? Mabey they will pull out Jesus from a hat...

I have to agree that since Romero left ID Software they were not as creative. Either they find a creative person again, or become creative themselves.

The theme of DOOM is the hardest part. Every DOOM game so far has been focused on hell forces unleashed on humans. If the game is kept to the original theme, you wont have adventure or RPG, cuz if you're the only living human, there's no one to talk to, and no interaction. I seriously don't think there will be any reasoning with the monsters...

Of course the original theme might be changed. Maybe it will be a stelth invasion where hell forces take on Earth by capturing certain bases (you have to free them with pure force), and then creating havoc thorugh possession of humans who act as their spies (in other words, you seek them out while going around the cities).

ID software definetly has to focus on more than just the technical 3D engine jumbo, cuz DOOM didn't keep its popularity till today by having a top notch engine.

Hopeless said:

ID software definetly has to focus on more than just the technical 3D engine jumbo, cuz DOOM didn't keep its popularity till today by having a top notch engine.

Yes, but DooM didn´t get it´s popularity by creativity.

DooM´s a strange thing. It´s not technically powerful, not even one of the source ports can compare to Quake1 engine. The game isn´t a "compelling story full of plot twists and characters emotions". But the game´s fun, and that´s curious. It´s nothing but kill, kill, open door, kill, find key, did I mention kill?

There was a time when games could be "fun". We had stuff like Tetris. Then we had stuff like Wolf and DooM. Later, we had Quake.

And then, suddenly, everything changed. iD slowly moved from the gaming community to the hardcore gaming community. Years ago, iD selled million of copies of DooM. They will not repeat that ever, because their games had become more resource-eater, complex, and hard.
Everyone had DooM. Now everyone haves Frogger, The Sims or "Who wants to be a millonaire?". We´re the freaks, the hardcore, that play complex and deep worlds.

iD can´t make DooM3 old-fashioned, they must adapt.
I hope that Tim Willits and Graeme Devine can pull out something creative...

Guest fraggle`

aaaargh noooo! dont set dima off! :)

I am busy chasing after a girl so I don't have much time to this engine stuff :)