Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest elyuca

This will piss us all off!!!!!

Guest elyuca

A couple of posts down, disorder made a pretty well attractive post about the Doom 3 package. I decided to make this new thread because it branches off that.

Have anybody hear heard about the standardization of PC Software packages?

I read in a PC Gamer article that by the end of this year, al games in production will have to ship in a standard sized and shaped box. I read the package is gonna be just ike the DVD boxes, only twice as thick to fit the documentation.

They say the standardization will be done because of decreasing shelf space in stores, and the cost of having custom boxes made.

If this ever happens, Ill be totally pissed off. Whoever is in charge of making the actual box and manuals (developer or publisher, i dunno) wont be able to be as creative as before. Well just be able to look back at great packages like the Quake 3 Arena Limited Edition Metal box, and the neat, creative, littl packages adventure games come in (I have one thats made of Wood!) I dont think a 2x thick DVD box will be enough to hold the documentation of lets say a complex strategy game, or even a simulation, especially flight (even though im not a fan of the genre)

What it comes down to is my biggest fear of all:
DOOM 3'S PACKAGE WILL N0T BE AS IMPRESIVE AS WE EXPECT!

I mean how much creativity can you do with a standardized package? Look at console games. The boxes are so lame, Its hard to distinguish one from the other. And with the cisual surface area the proposed standard box takes up, It wont grab as much attention as todays big, 8"x11" sized boxes.

Oh the horror to see Doom 3 be delivered in such a shameful package, when the game might deserve to have a box te size of the whole store!

Screw them, I want a full sized glorious package. It would feel horrible to have preordered the game like 2 months before release, and receive a crappy little thing the size of a HD.

Anyway, why would a store want to order any other game besides DooM3?? I mean, yeah, maybe the game will turn to be crap, but the "DooM" name already sells a lot.

In fact, my wallet is smiling!

Since console games have started to come in standard sized packaging and shipping prices have come down considerably. Bloody hell, in late '95 I paid $96 for my copy of Final Fantasy III. I got Final Fantasy IX last year for $35. Both were new at the time of purchase.

Thanks to better anti-piracy methods computer game prices have dropped about $10-$15 a head over the last two or so years, I've noticed that.

If the boxes start coming in the same shape and size, so what? The game is the same. And if it costs another $5 less, then what reason do you have to bitch?

Maybe the special 'custom' cases will be available for pre-orders only and cost another $10 a pop, whoopteeshit. I don't give a fuck if Theif 2 comes in a trapezoidal box, so long as the damn CD fits in my Mitsumi drive I'm happy.

Hell, I've been bitching since day one about my buying this huge fucking box, 90% of which is blank space or stale picture space, and inside is this gigantic cardboard placeholder with one CD propped up in the middle on flaps with the book jammed in a corner. Fuck Arbor day I guess.

Jesus, my SiN disc didn't even come with a Jewel Case! Odd, I checked, I could almost jam a full dozen of them in the box but instead they gave it to me in a paper sleeve. Naturally it's resting in a Maxell CD-R case that I coastered.

This is nothing to get pissed over. Personally I'd be happy if DVD's would start coming in Jewel Cases so I could fit them nicely on one of my CD tiers and not have them take up so much AIR.

BTW, I just saw a new DVD. Double sided. One side? Labyrinth. The other? The Dark Crystal. God, just glancing at the case again in my memory still has me salivating!

elyuca said:

I read the package is gonna be just ike the DVD boxes, only twice as thick to fit the documentation.

They're here in Holland allready... They're everywhere, oh my god !!! Well, It doesn't bother me a lot. But I have to admit that I liked the old big packages more... I don't know, a game should be inside a big box instead of a small one...

Yeah, it seems the classic cardboard boxes are disappearing. I've seen Red Alert 2, 1NSANE, Heavy Metal FAKK2 and a bunch of other games are sold in DVD-boxes now here in the Old World.
I don't really see any advantages (or disadvantages). Now that the size is standardized I can put them on my bookshelves, which looks pretty cool.

Hey if they are worried about shelf space...thats what bargain bins are for! That does sort of piss me off though that games come in huge ass boxes that I cant even fit in my damned trashcan. I got duke nukem in a big ol' box with only a cd in a sleave and a booklet the size of one you slip into a jewel case. (Maybe the publishers had a brain fart'...hmm...cd, cd case booklet...thats all we need'). I have been noticing however that they are starting to fill the boxes up more and more. I mean in the last game I bought, I discovered about 15 catalogues, order forms and other such things I wouldn't feed to my mailbox neatly stuffing the box.

That's actually pretty good, and hey, it's been happening for a while.
The positive side is that gas stations etc that sell games can have more variety, and not worry about space all the time.

As for special boxes, like the tin Q3A, they'll be around anyway, as the collectors items they are today :)

and a pricecut would be nice too ;)