Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

Pissed off bigtime !

This has little to do with Doom 3; not that anyone would notice.

I'm getting seethinly angry at a lot of games producers for trying to shut down any project they think is a violation of copyright law. I had just started work on a map for Duke It Out in Quake (www.planetquake.com/dioq3) yesterday and then 3DRealms came along and fucking shut the project down.

These projects are supposed to be fun ! Nobody's making money off it, and it's not like 3DRealms are going to lose customers because of it. With the July 2000 issue of PC Gamer USA, game developers gave away the full version of 12 classic games from the past, just like that. And now 3DRealms shuts down a good project because it's based on a five-year old game that everybody knows and loves, but really can't be expected to sell anymore ? Where's the logic ?

Praise god for developers like Valve, who embrace mod teams and mappers like myself. Curse companies like 3DRealms and Lucasarts, who sweep away good, fun, promising projects just for the sake of it.

One good thing about it is that it forces people to actually be creative and come up with original ideas. Perhaps one day the fans will show the games companies, Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general that it is actually possible to come up with something new rather than something that is either almost identical to an existing product, an actual remake, or a sequel.

Of course, you could always just make a project with what are obviously exactly the same weapons, characters, enemies, etc as something, but ones that you made from scratch and with different names. i.e. "implied" references to something else, rather than direct ones.

The Duke It Out in Quake guys should do this. Have a central character called something like "Earl Atomic", have exactly the same weaponry you were having before (they can't do you on that, none of the weapons in Duke are exactly original), hell have EVERYTHING the way it was before, just with different names. I'm pretty sure that companies can't copyright things like levels, so you're safe there too.

When it's finished, send it over to 3D Realms and laugh in their retarded faces when they can't do crap about it :)

NiGHTMARE said:

one day the fans will show the games companies, Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general that it is actually possible to come up with something new

CounterStrike is the best example of this...

<< one day the fans will show the games companies, Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general that it is actually possible to come up with something new ... >>

<<< CounterStrike is the best example of this... >>>

Yes, and the dozens of CS clones that are already being made are also excellent examples of how people tend to copy already existing work rather than actually (shock! horror!) try to make something new.

Charon said:

CounterStrike is the best example of this...

Why must everyone praise counterstrike...i mean...its okay and all but TFC, i feel is a lot more fun.

Why must everyone praise TFC... I mean... it's slow paced and boring and all but Counterstrike, I feel is just as bad.

Is it just me or didn't Duke3D come with a program that converted WAD files to MAP files?

So 3D Realms thought it was all right for people to convert Doom levels for use in Duke3D, but when someone converts Duke3D levels for use in Quake 3, it's suddenly infringement and must be stopped?

Way to go, 3D Realms. That's the way to win over the community. *clap clap clap*

danarchist said:

Why must everyone praise counterstrike...i mean...its okay and all but TFC, i feel is a lot more fun.

I think TFC is just a piece of crap! They just copied most models from HL and changed them a bit (to actually look worse). Damnit that thing could have been for Quake! they don't use HL engine to anything that isn't possible already with Quake. And the flamer is just so lame! It could have been like the gargantua's (you know, the big green guy) flamer or whatever it is, but instead it just tosses out a few crappy sprites. What annoys me the most however is that I can't get rid of that thing, they include some updates to it in all HL patches and if it isn't there, patches don't work! Not to mention the totally wasted megs of download with the patches! Fuck TFC I say!

Damn straight! And as gay as that is, have you ever just deleted it and tried to fire up a quick online fragfest? If TFC isn't present it attempts to fucking DOWNLOAD it from a server!

TFC is definitely a case of bad design on Valve's part. I should've been an OPTION, not a Goddamn requirement. Just a wasted 70 megs on my game drive.

Jesus Christ, it's not even fun to play! I always end up getting shot by my teammates who think it's a free-for-all. After 50 or so shotgun blasts you'd think they figure it out, but no, of course not, I actually have to explain to these fuckwits why they can't kill me.

I've never had a single entertaining moment in all my times of playing Counterstrike. It's more of a chore than a game.

What the hell ever happened to a straight-forward kill'em all fragfest like Blood was?

Fuck teamplay. Why? You can't rely on ANYONE but yourself.