Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

A bad sign for the future of gaming?

I'm sure most of you are aware of the huge proportion of Hollywood movies that are simply remakes of existing films (even if it's not acknowledged). Basically Hollywood is seriously lacking on originality.

Luckily we've been mostly spared from this in the gaming community, with only the odd remake appearing. Of course, there's always companies cashing in on the latest big thing, as seen with the Doom clones, the C&C clones, etc, but at least they actually still try to be original, and entirely new genres have been spawned because of games like Doom and C&C.

However, it looks like the gaming industry is starting to run low on ideas, and more and more remakes starting to appear. For example, Jester Interactive (http://www.jesterinteractive.co.uk/)
recently acquired the rights to all of Graft Gold's old games (for those who are relatively new to the gaming community, Graft Gold made, amongst others, Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner), and plan on remaking many of them.

While seeing ancient games updated for modern systems might sound good in theory, it's just going to detract from the originality the gaming industry has usually shown. While I doubt things will ever get as bad as with Hollywood, just as I would prefer seeing a new film rather than one I've already seen just with different actors and fancy effects (Psycho anyone?),
I would much prefer playing something new rather than a game that I played a decade ago only with fancy graphics.

I don´t think this is the wave of the future. While some companies have recently started production of remakes, sequels and such, most of them are revolutionary in some way. Take DooM, for example, they´re making a third chapter, but according to Carmack´s plan is not going to be like the old ones. Same happens for Myst III, Dune Emperor, Warcraft 3, Master of Orion 3, and many more.

The action games have turned almost equal in terms of gameplay. They have all big differences, both in the game and the techninc sides. But they´re about killing.
That´s bad? Sometimes, but it´s not going to be a worry in the future.

Let´s take a solid example : FPS
There´s like 50 famous FPS, and they´re all about running & shooting most of the time. This was a hit a few years ago, because it was new. The technical side had evolved enough to bring us that kind of gameplay.
Same will happen, eventually, there are infinite possible storylines & gameplay inner workings for FPS, but a important and desicive factor is the engine. You can´t do a drama-like game without a solid facial-deformation, lip sync, heavy-script compatible engine just as you can´t make a 3D game using sprites for building the level.

The new wave of games have many new features that eventually will spawn more complex, deep and original games. Take Red Faction´s engine, I can already imagine 10 or so storylines that would turn to be fun and unique games.

If someone´s just going to make remakes with pretty graphics, they´re cursed to fail. Today´s gaming community seeks fun, replayable, inmersive, and tech/art superior games. Im not going to buy a Tetris because it has free camera, real physics, 32 bit color and real lighting.

A year before DOOM was released Galaga '92 hit the arcades with revamped graphics. This is nothing new, and it poses zero threat to originality. Why? People make games. Some people want to remake games they like (such as I would remake Journey to Silius) while others want to make their own games. Simple as that.

As fare as movie films go I'm very happy with the teaser of Quake: The Movie. Its nothing that hollywood would do (thank fucking god), Its a film that actullay uses the quake 3 arena engine. Tritin Films is making it, while there other movies were...ok....I think qtm will be there best, and there most explosive movie ever. Quad God was an ok movie, there first movie to be over 19 minutes long (quad god is almost 40 minutes long), but q:tm will be about 70 minutes long, so if you dont have a 3d card, GET ONE, if you dont have windows media player, DOWNLOAD SOMETHING ELSE cause the buffering time makes wmp just about gay. I'm telling you, this is where the future of video game related movies are going, if you dont believe dont make me remind you of shenmue the movie, which is doing the same thing.

The tritin films videos can be downloaded at, http://www.planetquake.com/tritin-films/
quake 3 and quake 2 are not need to run these films, you just need wmp or realplayer, to download the q:tm teaser scroll down the main page till you see it, you will need a good video card for this teaser.

Quake: The Movie does NOT use the Quake III Arena engine. It uses some Quake III models and such but the scenes are all rendered in a modelling program like 3D Studio Max and the like.

Zaldron said:

I'm not talking about sequels (although those have been on the increase lately as well) but actual remakes, i.e. the original game just with better graphics and a few new features.

Imagine, for example, Doom 1 in the Quake 3 engine. Exactly the same levels, monsters, weapons, etc except (obviously) looking a lot better.

Lord FlatHead said:

Quake: The Movie does NOT use the Quake III Arena engine. It uses some Quake III models and such but the scenes are all rendered in a modelling program like 3D Studio Max and the like.

So that what they were talking about when they said scenes in the game were rendered in 3D Studio Max, I did'nt know what the fuck they were talking about.

Yeah, and what were you bringing up Shenmue for? Sure, it looks good, if ONLY THERE WAS A GAME OTHER THAN SPACE HARRIER ON THAT DAMN DISC I WOULD FEEL PROUD OF OWNING IT.

Now they're THREATENING to make a movie out of it? Boy, that'd be the absolute most boring 10 hours of my life.

Guest c-d-w
NiGHTMARE said:

Imagine, for example, Doom 1 in the Quake 3 engine. Exactly the same levels, monsters, weapons, etc except (obviously) looking a lot better.

I'd buy it : )

NiGHTMARE said:

I'm not talking about sequels (although those have been on the increase lately as well) but actual remakes, i.e. the original game just with better graphics and a few new features.

I'd give my left nut for it!