Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

Doom 3 vs. Unreal 2

Its not fair to do this but what the hell. I don't know mucha bout unreal 2 but it has been talked about for some time. I want to know personaly which you think will have the most popularity (I think I already know the answer). But remember, there are some dick heads that hate iD for q3a, and they like ut better, why would you like unreal, THAT GAME IS FUCKING GAY. Thank you.

/me waits for deadnails and lord flatheads opinion cause there only ones that don't piss him off.

Well, we have actually seen the Unreal 2 engine (if not the game) and it looks very impressive compared to, say, the Q3engine, especially for outdoor areas.

However, 2015 have several almost photo realistic outdoor screenshots of their game Medal of Honour: Allied Assault that uses the Q3 engine, so if the U2 engine only looks as good as the Q3 engine...

Which one will be more popular? Simple, the one that runs the best on the most current systems as well as the one that DESERVES to be popular. Trespasser, even if the game was fun, would never have been popular because nobody's system could run it.

Think of it this way. UT vs Q3A. Both are multiplayer. Quake 3 has what, 3 modes of play? UT has what, 5 modes of play? On top of this UT runs better on weaker systems. Simple answer, that's why it's more popular. It's a MORE COMPLETE game.

Of course both of them are half a game at best without a genuine single-player campaign.

I don't give half a turd what anyone thinks about D3 or U2 right now. You can posture, pontificate, and predict all you want. It doesn't mean jack without some form of PROOF of what's going on, what system it will run on, and how good the game will be.

Which will be more popular?
The better game.

Guest elyuca

the U2 engine is just the same ol' engine used back in the original, and mixed up in UT.

Technically, they aren't making Unreal 2 yet. They're working on the sequel to UT, called Unreal Warfare. I have only seen a handful of screen shots, (PC Gamer, a couple of months back) but what I did see I was impressed by. One shot was of a fort by a river, surrounded by a few trees, and a rolling grassy area, taken from the sky. From the size of the people I could see on the ground, It looked like the whole place was a good couple of miles across, and It looked awesome.
Any way, The Unreal engine is being upgraded for Warfare, then they'll probably make it better again for U2.

I agree with deadnail though, that the one that is the better game will be more popular.

Personally, I prefer UT over Q3A, because after the original, I never eally liked the style and feel of quake.

Oh yeah,

>>THAT GAME IS FUCKING GAY<<

How is it gay? what's wrong with it? It runs well on most systems, and has a reasonable range of original weapons. I forget who said it now, but - "A shotgun and a grenade launcher in one - how aesthetically beautiful is that?" But hey, we're here to talk about doom3 (supposedly), so I'll shut up now.

No, they're working on both. Unreal Warfare is being made by the original Unreal/UT team, while Unreal 2 is being made by the company who did the Unreal: Return to Na Pali mission pack.

AirRaid said:

I gotta stop lighting Q-Tips on fire. Anyway, that was my quote bucko. Glad to see that people actually read these words that I vitrolically spurt from my keyboard...

Don't forget that FAKK2 also had a shotgun/grenade launcher combo, although the grenades were much more difficult to aim than they needed to be and the shotgun itself was a little underpowered for my tastes. Normal enemies took about two, sometimes three hits to drop. Can't think of a Former Human soldier that was ever that damn persistent.

Yeah, and WTF was gay about Unreal Tournament? It had clean, crisp textures. Well modeled characters. Well balanced weaponry (although you REALLY need armor to survive 3 hits) that's both exceptionally functional and fun to use. Well organized arenas of combat. Excellent bot AI.

If you ask me the weakest thing about the Unreal games are the blood spurting animations and the music. Don't ge me wrong, I've got around 100 megs of .xms and .s3ms that I can't part with just like every other nerd around here but the composition on many of the in-game tunes is but lacking. BTW, I've heard rumors of a mod called 'Synthetica' that's around a dozen megs and is supposed to be really kickass... yet I can't find it. Strange. Does it exist?

elyuca said:

the U2 engine is just the same ol' engine used back in the original, and mixed up in UT.

No it most certainly is NOT. I can't remember the link, but there are some U2 engine test shots floating around the 'net, and I'll try to find them.

Update:

Pic and list of new Unreal engine features here:
http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/news/news_page.asp?news_id=2663

The U2 engine does not have substantial changes. They pushed up the polycount (nothing really difficult), make some really cool animation system and the terrain code.

Check the pics, the game does not support realistic lighting or bumpmaps. If the game doesn´t ship earlier than D3, they´ll have some serious problems.

What? that I´m a morron? a guy who cares more about graphics than gameplay? Not really, but would you buy a Wolfenstein-powered game instead of a DooM powered? Sometimes you´ll do, but most of the people won´t give a shit. New tech allows new gameplay, simple as that. U2 doesn´t have even NURBSs...

NiGHTMARE said:

No it most certainly is NOT. I can't remember the link, but there are some U2 engine test shots floating around the 'net, and I'll try to find them.

Update:

Pic and list of new Unreal engine features here:
http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/news/news_page.asp?news_id=2663

I have to agree...
Yes, Zaldron is right about everything but the Unreal 2 engine is written from scratch (like Sweeney said in his letter to planetunreal).
DOOM will have more popularity! that's obvious!

Scratch or not, it doens´t add many features upon the original. Since he´s remaking the core, the VIS errors that J.C. (and Sweeney) noted now are gone. The D3D and OGL compatibility issues are gone, etc...
There will be OFFICIAL NEWS about Unreal 2 in the next PC Gamer.

Guest Dark_Fox

I'll smack you, newbie turd..
Q3A is a good game, but I felt let down, they focused on the graphics way to much, and left the gameplay to piss in the wind.
I'm not reall taking sides on this, but I'm a Unreal Fan, and UT is a better game in my opinion. Q3A is a tech. step forward, UT is a gameplay step forward.. They are on two different fronts..

Guest Dark_Fox
elyuca said:

No, look at the sites, they are writing a whole new fucking engine.. you think the original Unreal or the Q3A engine for god sake can handle 5000+ poly models? Your video card would explode from the mear thought of it..
I don't know what specs the DOOM III engine is, but this will be the Quake 3 vs UT all over again.. only as Doom III vs Unreal 2

5000+ poly models? How many models were the characters in FAKK 2? The modelling in that Q3A game was rather superb.

I would smack your duck, quackboy, if it was around!

Guest Dark_Fox

Oh, he went to get some coffee from MACVILEWHORE..
Yea.. The test model was 3000 and they plan and expect models upto 5000, Q3A largest was 1400+ and UT's was 800+
Fakk 2?
You got me.. If it uses the Q3 engine then they can go upto 1400..

Dark_Fox said:

I'll smack you, newbie turd..
Q3A is a good game, but I felt let down, they focused on the graphics way to much, and left the gameplay to piss in the wind.
I'm not reall taking sides on this, but I'm a Unreal Fan, and UT is a better game in my opinion. Q3A is a tech. step forward, UT is a gameplay step forward.. They are on two different fronts..

Here is why Q3A sucks:

*no definite storyline
*un-optimized
*one word: railgun
*another 2 words: bad bfg
*another 3 words: the characters suck
*another 4 words: the starting weapons suck
*another 5 words: the weapons look like crap

shall I go on...?

I haven't played UT, but from what ive heard on epic's main page is that UT is the best thing since sliced bread (and computers, is it hype or reality? I trust peer opinion more than advertising).