Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aradiel

Hardware Requirements

Guest Aradiel

I was wondering, is the GeForce3 a requirement to play Doom 3?

No, a GeForce 2 ought to do it. You certianly don't want something like a piddly Voodoo 5 for it. All that lighting in the movie is powered by the NSR, nVidia Shading Rasterizer.

However, the GF3 has a MUCH stronger NSR than the GF2, so you'll have to turn down the 'creaminess' option in the menu by quite a bit.

On top of this I'd say a 600Mhz processor would be a damn good idea, and 256 Megs of 2100 DDR ram never hurt noone either.

Guest JudgeDooM

Happy to see that you don't like the Voodoo 5 5500. A friend has it and says it hasn't any problems and it's compatible with everything. My ass. A vendor in a videogames shop told the same thing "...uh, Voodoo 5 is better than GeForce 'cos it works with everything, blah blah blah". Yeah, sure...I risked to buy a 3D Blaster GeForce 2 GTS, and I admit I had some problems with it the first time, but then you learn how to tweak this card and how to install it correctly. But, I've noticed that the GeForce is actually much more compatible than a fuckin Voodoo 5, the drivers really change something. Example: I had lots o scanlines and hangings in Counter-Strike (in fact, in all the Half-Life engine) with the original drivers. Then I updated them as well as the Blaster Controls (the tweak center) and it really changed something! I don't have anymore scanlines and there are practically no hangings (there are some from time to times, but it's really not frustrating). On the Voodoo 5 there are still scanlines even if you update the drivers. In GlQuake, when you turn, the scanlines are horrific and not rare at all...plus you can't go at a higher resolution than 800x600. And on the GeForce, I can go much higher than that and in 32-bits. I could give you more examples. To make it short, yeah, the Voodoo 5 sucks big time. A GeForce 2 GTS is much more compatible and every game runs with it. I'm very happy to have bought this instead of the Fuckoo 5. Thx NVidia. I've made the right choice to come back to NVidia graphic cards.

I've gone from Triden 1024x768 to Voodoo3, and my next step will be either a GeForce2MX or a GeForce3, depending entirely on price. Those're some big steps, eh? =)

Guest JudgeDooM

Yeah, but since GeForce 3 will be out soon, I advise you it would be better to wait for it. Instead of wasting money on an "older" card. But yeah, I understand you, the MX being cheaper, I would go for it too. I should have waited too, but as I said some posts ago, I was so fuckin' tired of that Fuckoo 3 2000 (AGP). So, as I upgraded from Pentium II-400 to Pentium III-800/133 and more RAM (320 megs), I wanted to have a graphic card that would suit well that system, if you know what I mean. 'Cos it really changes something!
Besides, Maonth told me I won't have to upgrade a lot for Doom III. So, I'll see what it will be like with the GeForce 2, but still, I won't upgrade just for one game. I will change my graphic card in 2 or 3 years, maybe more - or less.

Guest Tonx

Damn. I got computer something like this:

Motherboard: Microstar MS-6183
Procesor : 667 Celeron (not clocked)
Memory : 128 MB (PC133 - what is this?)
Video : Intel 810e (on-board)
Sound : SoundMAX Digital Audio (on-board)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda ATA II (10.2 GB) on IDE (bad)

And I hava a question: Do I see some sort of picture at all?