Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CRiZ

Found it....

Guest CRiZ

It took me a long time but I finally found one: A 3D graphics online dictionary.

http://oss.medialab.chalmers.se/dictionary/

This has some definitions that the above resource does not.
http://www.meko.com/wotw.html

I find the technical side of gaming very interesting but there usally isn't a great resource that explains things to newbies. I went hunting on google for this after reading carmack's last plan file. This dctionary, however, doesn't explain: anisotropic filtering, precision of rasterization coordinates, register combiners, the new vertex programs he talk about or several other things he mentioned.
Register combiners, I imagine, are hardware related so I still have no idea what they are. I wish there were some page that explained all the guts of the operations performed between the software and hardware to produce a 2D picture. How does this shit all work exactly? Maybe I need to take classes to really know this stuff. I'm just a curious MechE student.
Anyone know of other good resources?

Also, this is a quote from Carmacks plan:
The 8x anisotropic filtering looks really nice, but it has a 30%+ speed cost. For existing games where you have speed to burn, it is probably a nice thing to force on, but it is a bit much for me to enable on the current project.

Does this mean we'll be sticking with regular bi/trilinear filtering for Doom3? Won't anisotropic even be an option? My G400 can do anisotropic filtering so imagine that most cards in 2002 will aswell. I would hope that it would atleast be an option cuz won't we have a GF4 in a years time anyway? The whole goddamn game is going to be running on the GPU from what I've read about graphics cards today.
Gonna get a 486DX2 with a Geforce 5. Doom3 at 100Hz! :-)

Guest JudgeDooM

Oh well, there's still Zaldron. He's a living dictionary for everything that concerns graphics :)

Guest CRiZ
Windowpain said:

Was this post a statement or a question? I can't tell. Murrr.

It was a two part post I guess. A little bit of both.

Part One) Just passing on some info.
Part Two) Anyone know any more juicy 'nfo sites?
AND
Can anyone interpret English better than me?

Guest CRiZ

that's the one.

ps gimme coffee byatch