Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Unknown

WHAT IS LOD?????

what the hell is lod??? and why do you all hate newbies that come here??i may be a newbie here but i'm exellent on playing doom in hard mode(well almost)

Guest JackTheShitter!

It's true you guys are cunts for hating newbies.

I have no problems with newbies, except the ones WHO WROTE THEIR THREADS IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND WITH A DOZEN !!!!!! MARKS !!!!

Sometimes newbies annoy me and the others when they are too lazy to take a look at the older threads and come up once again with an old monster/weapon/story idea we already discussed 100 times.

Guest Dark_Fox
JackTheShitter! said:

Your the perfect example for why we hate newbies..

Level Of Detail.

It's a process by which the engine automatically scales back detail when you reach a certain distance from an object. Let's say the Imp model has 5000 polygons. From a virtual 1000 feet away are you really going to see all that? Hell no, so the game automatically cuts it down to let's guess 1200 polygons. It takes almost 1/5th of the processing power it used to. Now there can be 5 times as many imps.

This is how Serious Sam manages to shovel dozens of enemies at you at one time. iD is not the type of company to fall behind another in any regard so we can expect amazing LoD tech inside of Doom 3.

BTW, there is no 'hard' mode of Doom. You mean Ultra Violence or Nightmare?

As for newbies, I'll admit it's a little annoying when we discuss something in great detail for weeks on end, then three months later some new guy waltzes in and starts talking about it as if we were incapable of concieving the thought ourselves. It's probably just a bullshit pride issue. Live with it or leave; what other choice do you have?

Guest Dark_Fox

Ut and Q3 use a very simple version of the model reduction technique.. TF2 (No it will never come out) was to use a very advanced version of it..

deadnail said:

I don't feel that any model in any FPS game should ahve more than 3000 polys (but I feel they should all have about the same per model though).

It's just like in quake2 (software mode), when you get far enough away from a texture they automaticially cut the resolution on it to save proceesing resources.

In addition I don't think the game should try to render polys that the player technicially cannot see from thier vantagepoint (may or may not already be done) - it saves time rather than adds it (it takes less time to calcualate if you can see it or not than actually rendering it - if any part of the asurvace area can be seen it gets rendered, if it is completlty covered by another polygon then it is not rendered).

Actually about 450 polys would do for 1000 feet away (until you put binoculars on). It might just be wise to make three different models - one for close range (say up to 256 doom units), one for medum range (like 1024 doom units), and long range (1024+ doom units). For each increment away, you cut the poly count by 1/2 (first one 2000 polys, second one is 1000 polys, third one is 500 polys, if binoculars are used then the model changes to a higher res).

A five foot tall simple creature would get 3000 and a twenty foot tall rotted monstrosity would get 3000? Um, no.

Isn't the term for textures mipmapping?

I remember seeing an interview with Carmack on TV about Quake showing off fullbright and just how effective the lighting is. He also said that the reason it's so fast is that the engine doesn't waste time drawing things you can't see.

So there.

BTW, if you and Dream Destroyer go at it MAKE A DEMO of it so we can all enjoy! =P

Dammit i tought i killed your ass.

Look at your last post and see what I mean.

Damn newbies and their ressur-erection powers.

/me than muderizes Dark_Fox's duck, than says sorry.

Guest Dark_Fox

NOOO!!
Noo!!
er.. No?!
Ah fuck it..

Guest Dream Destroyer
deadnail said:

A five foot tall simple creature would get 3000 and a twenty foot tall rotted monstrosity would get 3000? Um, no.

Isn't the term for textures mipmapping?

I remember seeing an interview with Carmack on TV about Quake showing off fullbright and just how effective the lighting is. He also said that the reason it's so fast is that the engine doesn't waste time drawing things you can't see.

So there.

BTW, if you and Dream Destroyer go at it MAKE A DEMO of it so we can all enjoy! =P

Yah, I'll fuck you up bitch. :)

Guest Dream Destroyer
JackTheShitter! said:

HEY SHIT FACE!