Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Windows XP, the new OS for us all

Hmm, I just found out about this. Coming mid to late 3rd quarter this year is the new Windows OS called 'XP'. It is going to have a new UI, something that Microsoft hasn't really pulled off since '95. The name of the UI is 'Luna', and from what I can see I am impressed.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_luna.asp

Here's some pictures of it in action, including a shot or two of Windows Media Player 8 and IE6. :)

Oh, and it's *NOT* based off of Windows 9X/ME, nosireebob! It is based off of Windows 2000, so it has all the power with more usability to it.

Thats right, crashes just might be a thing of the past from what I hear of Windows 2000.

So here you have it. Windows is finally getting a new UI, and it's supposedly easier to use for PC virgins as well as recognizable and functional for veterans. I think I'll be Doom 3-ing on this thing.

Oh, and what's Apple doing to counteract this? They're introducing a new iMac that has blue dalmation spots and has all the GUI graphics replaced with 'liquid' graphics. Other than that, no change at all. Wow, who won this round?

Some of it looks ok, but some of it reminds me of "BOB" (yessireebob). I don't want -everything- to look like some lady decorated it<g>

Although "big" is ok for the handicapped, I don't like basic control items taking up huge amounts of space. Let's keep it smaller and not so cute please. Hopefully I'll get a choice.

The one underlying item (as relayed to me) that will cause a lot of backlash, is the proposed integrated on-line registration. Don't think that will be happy news.

Man that looks really bad. lol
It looks waay to big; like I'm using a kid's program.

Odds are they'll let you change the motif and colours/sizes of everything though. They picked a really bad scheme to show everybody.

The UI is completely customizable. Size, shape, and all. There'll be a XPskins.com, I'm sure of it.

The design, I'm sure, is meant to be as much like a website as possible. Expect Microsoft.com to match it when it ships.

Although it does seem a little cutesy and oversized to me, it's also worth noting that this product isn't finished yet.

Hahaha! They showed it off at EMP? Waht a silly place...I went there once...its weird, overcrowded, and most of the space is taken over by special effects instead of exhibits. The Jimi Hendrix exhibit was hella cool though.
<ahem>
Anyways, XP looks cool, and if its as customisable as we think, it will rock. The multiple user thing, however looks like it will take up a bit too much space on the HD.

deadnail said:

Windows Media Player 8

God I didn't think they could bloat that program any more. All I want is my fucking time indicator and slide bar. I DON'T WANT 2,000 VISUAL PLUGINS!! I DON'T WANT AN ENTIRE GUI!! I DON'T WANT IT TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET BEHIND MY BACK!! I just wanna play a fucking 2 second wave file, that's all. I don't want support for 100 file formats loaded UNTIL I load one of them. Why the hell do I end up on a website if I just open the player? That isn't what the player was meant for. You need an 800MHz system to get the same thing out of the new Media Player than you could get out of the 95OSR2 player with a 100MHz CPU. Pathetic. I hate Microsoft.

Guest CRiZ

You can download it now(actually not sure what it is. New media player or IE6?) Download in progress...

http://explorer.msn.com/home.htm

Guest CRiZ

Don't know what the hell it is. Some bloated email, instant messenger, browser, media player prog.

Funk dat.

deadnail said:

The UI is completely customizable. Size, shape, and all. There'll be a XPskins.com, I'm sure of it.

The design, I'm sure, is meant to be as much like a website as possible. Expect Microsoft.com to match it when it ships.

Although it does seem a little cutesy and oversized to me, it's also worth noting that this product isn't finished yet.

Hmmm, I heard that M$ are building all sorts of hideous copy protection into it so you can only install a piece of software once, on that machine, period. Also any major hardware upgrades will be a problem due to the software not recognising the machine or something. Also...does'nt M$ want to lease it to the user for some ungodly amount every year or so...?

That looks waaaay to filled up with useless bullshit. I want a simple UI that's FAST and looks like a total bunch of shit. I doubt that this will be good for anything, i still preffer w98 over w2k :\

Guest fucknut
CRiZ said:

Don't know what the hell it is. Some bloated email, instant messenger, browser, media player prog.

Funk dat.

MSN Explorer is AOL for The Microsoft Network. big, bloated front end, with no creamy filling, or fun factor. El Crapo!

Guest Fucknut

I have played with a version of XP, when it was still codename 'whistler'. its not bad. i dont really like the UI much, but you can replace it with the windows standard theme if you like. better have a gob of ram, cause this one seems to be a memory hog (of course, this is the norm for ms)