Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DiSTuRBeD

The Hordes

We've been talking about em for some time now, the hordes. Well, there's just not doom without em. However, not all creatures should be flocking up in big numbers. Only the ones that would more or less naturally travel in hordes. For example the zombie we saw in the movie would be nice to meet about 10 of at a time. To cut back on the power needed, a perfectly nice model can be made out of 5k polys, and zombies are st00pid, so the ai really doesn't need much than the original doom ai anyway. So like that, you can supporte quite a lot of monsters, just not all kinds

5K ??
A marine´s head haves that polycount.

I don´t think zombies should go in big packs. I think iD should plan another type of daemon for that kind of thing. Besides, I´ll choose an intelligent and accurate zombie against 10 drunken morrons like those on DooM1&2. Once you´ve played the game many, many times, you´ll start to get bored of the enemies. Too predictable, I prefer a randomly enhanced behavior.

What i'm saying, zombies are stupid. That doesn't mean that most of the other monsters are highly intelligent. Quake3's models has 1k polys, five times that gives you a pretty high-detailed models. I need to blow down five monsters with a blast from the super-shotgun :)

Another monster that can use few polys and have less cpu-intensive ai is the lost souls, if they include it.

That´s one of DooM misteries... People call the soldiers zombies, I call them possessed, just like the IWAD entries say.

If they´re possessed (rotten flesh or not) they should be very agressive and beserked.

If they´re zombies, they should be so morronic that would fall from stairs, and shoot at stuff just because it looks funny.

I prefer possessed guys. But I want some kind of small sized (not bigger than you, I mean) demon with climbing habilities, that cames in packs or 6 or 7, surrounding you. That would be fun.

Oh my god ! Awesome...

5 Minutes ago I've seen the video the first time ..... we will
get NiGhtMARES when DooM III comes out !

I'm new here, but I will try to give senseful comment and ...
maybe even ask interesting questions....

BTW...how to finish map30 ? :-)

I think Zombies are least likely to attack in hordes, since they're probably individually possessed soldiers.

It would be cool to be fighting alongside a UAC marine in the beginning of the game, then later recognise him as one of the zombies rushing towards you...

Revenant! said:

Oh my god ! Awesome...

5 Minutes ago I've seen the video the first time ..... we will
get NiGhtMARES when DooM III comes out !

I'm new here, but I will try to give senseful comment and ...
maybe even ask interesting questions....

BTW...how to finish map30 ? :-)

...ummm... Interesting questions? Yah, where are they?

CHAINSAW+DGM said:

I call the 'soldiers' grunts after the one's in quake
imps should be the pack hunting monsters

hehe who wants a climbing demon when you can't hit e'm whit your best shoot!well ok it whould be cool if the demon could climb but i wan't a cyber demon instedd of a demon that can climb!why becous its so fun too kick some cyber demon but thats why!

Guest Mad-Ray

Hi e/one!

Just to add a diff spin to the discussion on this thread....
For the technically minded, would it be possible to not only put diff "skins" on a particular species of monsters but have diff shapes, as in haveing tall,fat, small sizes of imps for exmple .... I rem seeing a doco on the Disney movie Hunch back of Notre Dame and the animators made up the various crowd scenes with 5 diff models of ppl ie. male female, fat, tall etc and had a program which randomly generated diff ppl shapes from that.... could this be done on a game such as doom ???
( Not too clear on that particular fact and prob nopt sure if I explained it correctly :-)

Another point could be having enemies e/time u start a level randomly spawn in diff areas as to lengthen the playablity?? So there not in the same corner of the room...

I would like to see the monsters behave in a realistic way as too see exhale and def see dribble etc...

what do ppl think???

( if this has been discussed b4 plz excuse me... its hard to tpye, read , surf while at work.... damn boss on my back...:-)

Cheers all

Andrew

Guest Auguana

Just an idea, instead of placing demons and such in a small group and hope that they will stay together when attacking, what would be the possibility of having code implemented into doom3 which tells Demons to stick together in packs when fighting, and tells other types of demons (maybe Imps) to circle around a victim and then attack?

Guest CRiZ
Mad-Ray said:

Yeah, I agree. There should definately be some variation amongst monsters. Just like there is variation amongst us humans, so should there be among the imps attacking us in the DOOM3. With this new level of detail if may look weird having every imp look EXACTLY the same.
In Star Trek they easily pull off variations among the Klingons and so they should do something along the same lines with monsters in DOOM3. I wonder if this could be done automatically somehow in the engine. Choose key vertices which could be affected by some random number generation while each level loads. This way, every time you play the level the characters would have some unique personality. Then again, this method doens't allow for different skins so it may look stupid. Maybe Id modelers should just make 3 types of each kind of imp, and 3 types of every class of monster.

My minor knowledge of programming leads me to think that implementing a random number generator (based off of the systems time) and having the result determine the model distortion by X, Y, and Z axis. The problem is making it look good by distorting it this way.