Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

Why is everyone calling it Doom 3?

I don't get it. Why is everyone calling this game Doom 3 when a third Doom has already been released? Final Doom was the third Doom! According to a quote from John Carmack that I found on an earlier post, this is just gonna be a remake of the original Doom with the levels expanded, the creatures more intelligent, maybe some new creatures, and an overall graphics overhaul. We might see some new weapons, too. I believe the levels will be more or less the size of Unreal's levels, possibly even twice as large as the biggest Unreal map. Of course, multiple floors, and a realistic setup of what the Phobos and Deimos bases should look like (according to id) will be used. So the Hangar will be just that: a spacecraft shelter and docking area. It will also be about the size we would expect, maybe the size of a small city, given its purpose. Each area should be the size it would need to be to suit its purpose. This should make the game extremely realistic, and much more enjoyable. If the game is split up into episodes again, they will be a hell of a lot longer than most other games of its type.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Doom was an outside project that amounted to 64 new levels for Doom 2. Doom 64 was another outside project, by Raster.

We are calling it Doom 3 because:
A) It has no official name yet.
B) It is the third official Doom game.

All references made to it have been indeed, "Doom", so you know what? I'm fine with the idea of them remaking the original into something a helluva lot more realistic.

Wow! Someone who actually agrees with me! About the remake thing, I mean. Would you believe most of the people I have talked to (off the net) thought that Doom would suck if it was remade? I think that if id tried to come up with another idea for a storyline short of a remake, it would get too repetitive and boring.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Necromancer said:

Wow! Someone who actually agrees with me! About the remake thing, I mean. Would you believe most of the people I have talked to (off the net) thought that Doom would suck if it was remade? I think that if id tried to come up with another idea for a storyline short of a remake, it would get too repetitive and boring.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus Christ, remake what?

A lone marine trapped in a military lunar Mars base versus the legions of Hell. If you think about it, other than location all of the Doom games have been exactly the same. You versus them, wherever it may be.

I don't think it would get boring, after all, iD has made millions because they're good at making video games. That's all this boils down to, an entertaining video game. I'm sure it will be that.

Says who? I suppose that would be cool-all the Doom levels finally looking what they're supposed to look like. Finally a Hangar that looks like a Hangar!

Guest Dark_Fox

Wake up, Final Doom was a mission pack for Doom2 you twit..
Doom2000 sounds gay, like Windows ME..

deadnail said:

A lone marine trapped in a military lunar Mars base versus the legions of Hell. If you think about it, other than location all of the Doom games have been exactly the same. You versus them, wherever it may be.

I don't think it would get boring, after all, iD has made millions because they're good at making video games. That's all this boils down to, an entertaining video game. I'm sure it will be that.

Remember when I said several months ago that iD should remake DooM now that they can pull out the story as they wanted?

Anyway, WHO said that iD´s remaking the game?

deadnail said:

I seem to remember a guy (french.... x-doom?) was/is undertaking a project, the demo of it had "doomguy" in a situation and there were rogue "doomguys" ? That thought process could be continued?

If you could actually post a link to this post of Carmack's, I may believe you.

Why is your head crammed up your ass?We call it Doom 3 because that's the best name we can think of. If you can think of a better one, be my guest. This question has been asked way too many times and the next person to ask it will die. And btw Phobos itself isn't the size of a small city so I doubt anybody from id actually said that. Murrr

For your imformation, Phobos is 13 km long, and about 9.4 km in diameter. I think it can hold a base the size of a small city. Bear in mind that this is MY opinion and I am entitled to whatever opinion I may have. I also don't appreciate your insulting comments about my question. I just haven't read the whole damn site yet, as I am new here, and haven't had much time to sit down and go over everything that has been discussed. Also, some areas of this question may not have been explored yet. So please just put up with some of my questions and comments for the time being or don't even enter a discussion posted by me if you really have a problem with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NiGHTMARE said:

If you could actually post a link to this post of Carmack's, I may believe you.

I tried to find this post again, haven't had much luck, but if I find it again, I'll post it. Carmack didn't post it, it was an interview segment or so the post author claims.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zaldron said:

Remember when I said several months ago that iD should remake DooM now that they can pull out the story as they wanted?

Anyway, WHO said that iD´s remaking the game?

I didn't say anyone else said iD was remaking the game. I came to this conclusion after reading a post of an interview segment with John Carmack. I'll post it for you guys if I find it again.

deadnail said:

I meant revamp the whole graphics engine and add more detail to the storyline. That's what I term a basic remake.

Guest TheEternalVile
Malevolent said:

what are we supposed to call it? "How to Skewer Bunny Heads on Pikes: The Remake"?

Poor little bunny. *Sniff* poor poor little bunny. *Sob*