Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AIRmichael

Scenes

Finally the registration worked:). I am a newbie yeah;) BUT only a newbie to this forum.

I'll skip the boring part, and start with doom 3.
Allright, I think the demons behaviour will be a vital part.

Not only interaction between players and demons but also between the demons. Like for instance, a demon shoots another demon by exident. And he attacks to get revenge on him. We already saw it in the first dooms. Only the 2 demons will fight each other.

With the latest technology, there might be setup a sort of "buddy" system. For example, a demon get attacked by another one. Some larger demon is a "buddy" and kills the other demon. This could start private wars among the demons.

There are some problems though:
-This system can be instable, and the player doesnt even have to shoot demons, cause they will kill each other automatically.
-It lags on the internet in coop mode

If its possible, it will produce some fantastic scenes. Realism will be improved. A Zombie getting slapped by an Imp, runs back to his mates. ( Temporarily saved data so he knows where his mates where a moment ago) Maybe even randomized time memorization of the data. Getting a "gang" of Zombies catching the Imp from the back. The player can use this situation perfectly.

The environment will be alot more realistic then ever before. The geforce 3 can render realistic water ripple. Useing Pixel precise calculations! That means that water movement will be improved. Imagine how a demon walks to a water supply, placing his hands in the water, and even wash his face. Every detail can be seen, even some water dripples of his face to the ground.

These things can be made, but to have the position of all water would need a great computer. Internet connections arent that well yet to send thousands of coordinates per second. But with the use of editors, like 3d Studio Bax or Maya ( Id-softwares main 3d design program) animations like this can be made. The disatvantage is that maybe the scene will be repeated to much. Maybe a randomization of differant animations or a small in-engine generator can fix this problem. Still it will take lots of processing.

Movement of demons can be easier though. Differant keys for each piece of the body can be set. A zombie walking with his left arm pointing to u will look alot differant then a zombie without an arm. Now even eye movement can be done, creating lots of differant situations.

The range of possibilities is huge. The more what can be done in pure code, the less can be make as a standard animation.

Interesting post. Oddly, though, it seems like it ended way too soon.

BTW, if you have the time this is something we have already discussed in great detail and you might profit from looking a few months back in this forum. Just a suggestion.

fighting demons would not be anything new, the imps and demons and zombies have been at it since the beginning...through doom and quake, they keep fighting, i rather enjoy watching them fight and always wait til they are done to open fire, a simple courtesy, really.

deadnail said:

BTW, if you have the time this is something we have already discussed in great detail and you might profit from looking a few months back in this forum. Just a suggestion.

Thx for the info:)

I want to add something about environment etc. In quake 3, players can shoot walls, and some black stop will appear. I noticed that many games have this ability, but the spots always dissapears within a minute. It would be nice if doom 3 would keep such spots, its a great detail for such a great game. I have read about "Maps that can be destroyed almost entirely". Thats just to much;). But a little detail would be nice indeed.

deadnail said:

What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see whom I drag screaming to hell with me.

WOO!@#!

AIRmichael said:

I want to add something about environment etc. In quake 3, players can shoot walls, and some black stop will appear. I noticed that many games have this ability, but the spots always dissapears within a minute. It would be nice if doom 3 would keep such spots, its a great detail for such a great game. I have read about "Maps that can be destroyed almost entirely". Thats just to much;). But a little detail would be nice indeed.

I think Half-Life handled this pretty well, havin reasonably realistic blood and other decals on walls that don't ever disappear.

Arioch said:

What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see whom I drag screaming to hell with me.

WOO!@#!

"No one commands me. No man. No god. No Elder. No Prince. What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal? What is a claim of power for ones who defy death? Call your damnable hunt. We shall see whom I drag screaming to hell with me."

- Günter Dörn, Das Ungeheuer Darin

If you're gonna quote somethin' ya might as well do it right! :P

AIRmichael said:

Well, Quake3 was meant for deathmatch, there was no need to keep those decals on scene since they scramble the speed pretty fast. Anyway, having bumpmaps, now iD can make some really good looking bullet holes, that will actually be litted based on their proximity/position to other lights. The decal will be no more a alpha-blended pic, but the combination of this pic (with no lighting effects over it) and a bumpmap that looks like a shpere in most cases. You´ll swear those holes exists, but, if you stick your face to the wall, you´ll see the thing´s planar as ever...

There´s no need to make sync water ripples between the users in coop mode. If the relative position of the demon based on the level mantains the same for all the users, each machine will draw it´s own conclusions about how it will look the surface deformation, and yet, be the same...