Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LorD BaZTArD

Vehicle Doom 3

I was Just looking through the old posts, my thread is now on the second page, so it is about time to annoy you again and post another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K

Vehicles in doom 3?

Do you reckon they should be put in doom 3? I mean, vehicles have put in to a few games recently (and not so recently)
Like Quarantine(Taxi Game, Carmageddon style), Interstate 82 had the ability to hop out of vehicles, so did the battlezone games.
(Half Life As Well(Oops))
However, One thing I have noticed with these games is that they are not done too well, For example Battlezone. You could swap vehicles fine but the little pilot handled like a ship, and the tracked tanks were awkward, The vehicles in half life were simple trains, (With features though)

And mods like airquake 2 were the same, all vehicles handled as if they were all the same class of vehicle.

Is it possible to have separate vehicle types with different handling methods with out making them seem the same?

Is it worth it?

Vehicles in Doom 3 would be cool, though.

What do think?

<Dons fire proof armor, gloves, helmet and shoes, and prepares for onslaught>

I think most vehicles would feel totally out of place in Doom. I could only think of a small space shuttle or something like that, but it really mustn´t be included. You are a lost marine in Doom3 (I hope), not a biker on a holyday trip or a tank commander.

it's not a terrible idea, so i don't think you'll be flamed, but i doubt vehicles will be included, and for good reason. doom's atmosphere just is'nt condusive to vehiclular combat and i think a lot of people are wanting a "traditional" fps because of doom's history and well, because it's doom.

Wouldn't fit in Doom (or any first person game), and would be extremely hard to implement anyway. Take a look at cs_siege, where you can drive a tank off cliffs, through 6ft. high mine shafts and into elevators. Bonkers.

It doesn´t fit in Doom but I think it would for example fit very well in Duke Nukem Forever (stuff like Hoverbikes, Harley Davidsons or Trucks), or in SiN. The only thing would be a slightly changed userface and gameplay when using a vehicle, but it could work when it´s made smooth enough.

I have no problem with it so long as it's done realistically. Driving a Jeep around in E1M1 would suck, but driving a forklift around in E2M2 could make some sense.

Vehicles should work right in DooM III.
After all, vehicles in games like Half-life and Quake II are really just "hacks and tricks" as Carmack would say.

But DooM III is almost built from the ground up.

However note that I didn't say they would work right for the gameplay.