Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

I FOUND IT!!! I messed up . . .

OK, to all those people who wanted proof of my claims that the new Doom MAY BE a remake, (in an earlier post of mine, titled "Why is everyone calling it Doom 3?") I found where what I called was an interview with John Carmack is located. Turns out it was not an interview, sorry for the confusion, but a .plan update from John Carmack. It is in the Doomworld Unofficial Doom 3 FAQ, topic 1. If you look there, You'll find these statements:

"As many people have heard discussed, there was quite a desire to remake DOOM as our next project after Q3."

"An ultimatum was issued to Kevin and Adrian(who control >50% of the company): We are working on DOOM for the next project unless you fire us."

"Obviously no fun for anyone involved, but the project direction was changed, new hires have been expedited, and the design work has begun."

I pieced this together to come to the conclusion that the new Doom will be a remake. You all might have another interpretation, this is just a suggestion of what might take place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've all read and memorized the 06/01 plan update. I think you don't need to take it so literally - 'remake' doesn't necessarily mean they'll do a perfect clone of Doom, but with all the new technology (which would be pretty cool, but not exactly what everyone is hoping for).

ID doesn't do remakes. Simple as that. Every game they do is different from eachother. They understand that they don't need to waste their time on making doom again, those few of us who likes its gameplay will happily play the old one anyway

If id were to make a stock standard remake of Doom, there'd be a lot less Ferarri's going their way. They'll have to do something new if they wanna ship units... Of course, just like Quake, if they slap the name Doom on anything it'll sell, but gamers have come to expect alot more from games of late, especially with titles like Half Life and Deus Ex out there.

If they put the time and effort in to completely re-make everything from scratch (like the maps, which would have to be done by hand unless they have an extremely smart conversion program), they might as well come up with something new alltogether.

By the way, Carmack said they are 'focusing on the single player experience'. As fun as Doom might be, today it's 'single-player experience' doesn't stand a chance against excellent games like NOLF and erm... Parasite Eve 2. Yeah :)

Damn straight, althought Parasite Eve 2 isn't a first person shooter it's an excellent single player game. NOLF is fucking awesome, though... who knew Monolith could do it after Shogo and Blood 2?

I've only played the tech demo of NOLF, though I was incredibly impressed with it, especially the humour bits.

"Sir, you look like you need a monkey."
"I don't want a monkey. Get it away from me !"
"Are you insulting my monkey ?"

:)

It's practically the only FPS that manages to be funny intentionally. There's a lot of subtle things too like a sign that points two ways. One side says bathroom, the other side says secret nuclear weapons facility or something, I haven't played it in a while.

It gets better and better the more you play it, I especially like how accurately everything is retro... even the weapons. It's a damn good game that's for sure.

Yeah, in the demo I also noticed Monolith put a sign saying "embracez mon ane incorpore", which is French for "Kiss my Ass incorporated" :)

Lord FlatHead said:

If they put the time and effort in to completely re-make everything from scratch (like the maps, which would have to be done by hand unless they have an extremely smart conversion program), they might as well come up with something new alltogether.

By the way, Carmack said they are 'focusing on the single player experience'. As fun as Doom might be, today it's 'single-player experience' doesn't stand a chance against excellent games like NOLF and erm... Parasite Eve 2. Yeah :)

Excuse my stupidity, but just what is NOLF?

deadnail said:

It's practically the only FPS that manages to be funny intentionally. There's a lot of subtle things too like a sign that points two ways. One side says bathroom, the other side says secret nuclear weapons facility or something, I haven't played it in a while.

It gets better and better the more you play it, I especially like how accurately everything is retro... even the weapons. It's a damn good game that's for sure.

<---- BATHROOM | ROCKET SHIP ---->

I played through NOLF... I started out liking it, but I got bored towards the end. Dunno why, it was a good solid game, but it just kept dragging on and on and I found myself having less and less fun.

Would you rather have them take the Raven approach and make the games shorter and shorter?

Lord FlatHead said:

We've all read and memorized the 06/01 plan update. I think you don't need to take it so literally - 'remake' doesn't necessarily mean they'll do a perfect clone of Doom, but with all the new technology (which would be pretty cool, but not exactly what everyone is hoping for).

It won't be a perfect clone if it's a remake. Read my post titled, "Why is everyone calling it Doom 3?". You'll see what I'm referring to when I say remake. But bear in mind, it's an opinion. It's not based on any information from iD in any way, except the .plan update I read, and I drew my own conclusions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord FlatHead said:

What if they just included DOOM & DOOM II? Or even remade it and then includued them?