Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Amanichen

A short poll.

I know this might cause a bit of controversy, but...

Does anybody think that the whole Doom 3 atmosphere will be different than the first two?

From reading several vintage interviews with id, I received the impression that John Romero was basically the impetus behind the themes of Doom I, and II and was responsible for a large portion of the concepts of the gameplay (boom and splat, and throw a few switches), level design (this one is a biggie, try an entire episode), storyline (all four lines of it), and the atmosphere, etc...

But now that he isn't there anymore, do you think that Doom 3 will feel and play like Doom I & II? Do you think it will have the atmosphere of Knee Deep In The Dead? Or a blend?

I'll admit it's hard to picture Doom without the mind behind my favorite episode (Knee Deep in the Dead)... but I have faith in iD to make an entertaining game.

The original Dooms will still be played long after Doom 3 is stale, people who refuse to upgrade will ensure that. There's no guarantee that Doom 3 will fit it's own niche quite so well as Doom did (actually I doubt that), but I'm sure the game will succeed on the most important levels of gameplay and fun.

My only concern is that the level design might suck (citing Q3A). I just co opped the whole Episode 4 so my standards are a little high right now.

Well, I think that oppresive feeling of the game will be present. At least, that´s what the ASF made me think of. Watching those deserted rooms of a "Knee Deep in the Dead"-like set of levels made me think about the first time I played DooM, back in E1M1.

About the gameplay, Im 100% sure it will be completely different. I´ll get bored pretty soon if a new game shipped with DooM´s original gameplay...

Guest JudgeDooM

After reading the article at XSreality.com, I actually fear for Doom III keeping the old Dooms atmosphere.

Guest PFCGray
deadnail said:

I'll admit it's hard to picture Doom without the mind behind my favorite episode (Knee Deep in the Dead)... but I have faith in iD to make an entertaining game.

The original Dooms will still be played long after Doom 3 is stale, people who refuse to upgrade will ensure that. There's no guarantee that Doom 3 will fit it's own niche quite so well as Doom did (actually I doubt that), but I'm sure the game will succeed on the most important levels of gameplay and fun.

My only concern is that the level design might suck (citing Q3A). I just co opped the whole Episode 4 so my standards are a little high right now.

Hmmmm, my fave episode was a tie "The Shores of Hell". Oh well, everyone's different.

deadnail said:

Actually, the level design in Q3A rocks!

Guest UAC stockholder

I jusy hope doom 3 is not like quake, I fucking hate quake, its the worst fucking peice of shit i've ever wasted my money on.