Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

Let's hear your input!

What all are your thoughts on the impact the GeForce 3 will have on computer systems? Do you think PCs will become more like gaming supercomputers? I think we'll see even more streamlining in CPU tech than the Athlon and P4 currently offer. We'll also probably see a revision in the way RAM is built. Maybe we'll finally get to see common integrated processors replacing CPUs. Or maybe we might soon have optical hard drives on the market!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Necromancer said:

I think we'll see even more streamlining in CPU tech than the ... P4 currently offers.

Jeez, I couldn't imagine THAT ever happening...

What'll be next, a reliable version of Windows?

Actually, since the new XP Windows is based off of the 2K sources it should be very reliable. Hard to believe, but it doesn't seem so far fetched anymore.

I see CPUs becoming more and more irrelevant when it comes to gaming. The GPU on the GeForce 3 is now doing 95% of the graphics work... so games are going to become a lot more video card dependant than ever before now.

Oh, but things are going to balance again. Now there´s plenty of speed to do wacky stuff. Per-poly collision detection, blended skeletal systems, Newtonian physics system and real-time tesselation/boolean products are just the first step. Believable fluids using meta-octahedrons could be the next thing.

Guest Relajo

uhhh... I have a commodore VIC 20...
It's cool... I like pac-man

deadnail said:

Actually, since the new XP Windows is based off of the 2K sources it should be very reliable. Hard to believe, but it doesn't seem so far fetched anymore.

I see CPUs becoming more and more irrelevant when it comes to gaming. The GPU on the GeForce 3 is now doing 95% of the graphics work... so games are going to become a lot more video card dependant than ever before now.

I was just saying that it's so blatantly obvious what they need to do to get Windows98/ME working that I can't believe it's taken them 5 years just to goof it up as bad as it is. The upgrade cycle from 95 to 98 to ME is so pathetic it's beyond comprehension. I'm sure one decent coder could have done 4 times what Microsoft did moving from 95 to ME in 1 year than it took Microsoft 5 years to do.

So, I was just saying that the Pentium 4 is hardly anything worth hyping over. It would be like getting surprised when Microsoft releases a stable Windows as opposed to going "It's about fucking time."

Although it would be surprising, but you get what I'm saying.

I MUCH more enjoy Blue Man Group than the Pentium 4.

Hey, anyone else hear the rumors that Steve (B)Jobs is trying to get the Mac OS to run on AMD processors? Wow, if that happens then the Mac just *might* be a viable gaming platform... to set your PC on top of. =)

Lüt said:

Jeez, I couldn't imagine THAT ever happening...

What'll be next, a reliable version of Windows?

CPUs can actually be a lot better. The thing I mentioned about common integrated processors (CIPs) heralds the new age of processors. Basically it is to the common CPU what the GeForce 3 GPU is to other video chipsets. The CIP was developed by General Motors Aircraft Division, and is 50 times faster than the latest CPU. Currently it is only available in military sectors (used in the F-22 Raptor) but I think with newer and better technology coming out onto the civilian market, we might have something like that in the market in the next 10 years, maybe sooner. If we could stuff something like that into a PC, we'd have supercomputers for gaming!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zaldron said:

Believable fluids using meta-octahedrons could be the next thing.

Ok Zaldron... Explain that to me...