Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

Demon and Daemon!

For most that do not know a demon and a daemon are to different things. People come on these forums all the time saying daemon or cyberdaemon, and that is not correct (beings the doom instruction guides spell it as demon and cyberdemon). So now I will give you the correct definitions of demon and daemon.

Daemon - Variant of a demon.
Demon - A devil or evil being.

You also notice that the cacodemon is spelled demon and not daemon. There is hardly a difference between demon and daemon in some cases, but I go by the books.

So what exactly is a cacodemon.

Caco - Indicates bad, incorrect, or unpleasant.

Yeah and I know my signature says “daemon” but its referring to the opposite of a demon.

Guest PFCGray

You know what? I've been wonderin ever since I first played DOOM where the name "Cacodemon" came from. All this time I thought it was just a name made up by id, but I guess not. It's amazing what new info you learn everyday.

I just looked it up in the dictionary...they actually had the word cacodemon...strange, I just looked for the hell of it.

Guest Dream Destroyer

demon [dimn]
n.
1. an evil spirit or devil.
2. a person, habit, obsession, etc., thought of as evil, cruel, or persistently tormenting.
3. Also called: {daemon}, {daimon}. an attendant or ministering spirit; genius: the demon of inspiration.
4. a. a person who is extremely skilful in, energetic at, or devoted to a given activity, esp a sport: a demon at cycling.
b. (as modifier): a demon cyclist.
5. a variant spelling of {daemon [sense 1]}.
6. Austral. and N.Z. informal, archaic. a detective or policeman.
[from Latin daemon evil spirit, spirit, from Greek daimon spirit, deity, fate; see {daemon}]

daemon [dimn]
or daimon
n.
1. a demigod.
2. the guardian spirit of a place or person.
3. a variant spelling of {demon [sense 3]}.
daemonic [dimnk]
adj.
daimon [damn]
n. a variant of {daemon} or {demon [sense 3]}.
daimonic adj.

cacodemon or cacodaemon [kækdimn]
n. an evil spirit or devil.
[from Greek kakodaimon evil genius]

Guest Lament
danarchist said:

I just looked it up in the dictionary...they actually had the word cacodemon...strange, I just looked for the hell of it.

... and Pythagoras means 'stinking market'.
it does :)

I call the Caco "Cacodaemon", because it´s an original latin term for "evil spirit".
But "Cyber Demon" for example is a modern english name, so I call it "demon" in this case. It´s just like Dream destroyer says, "daemon" is not a variant of "demon", it´s more the opposite case, daemon is a more general term.

Another very funny latin name is "Mancubus": It´s a play on words including "manducus", that is the glutton in the ancient roman comedy, and "incubus", a nightmare demon who is sitting on the sleepers breast.

danarchist said:

/me wimpers,"My dictionary doesent have cacodemon in it"

Everyone remember to hop on napster and download Deicide - Satan Spawn the Caco Daemon.

Perforator said:

Caco - Indicates bad, incorrect, or unpleasant.

Heh, that's weird. I always thought cacodemons got their names from cacophony, like, really loud and obnoxious... because that hiss of theirs is...

Perforator said:

/me wimpers,"My dictionary doesent have cacodemon in it"

Everyone remember to hop on napster and download Deicide - Satan Spawn the Caco Daemon.

Dude, Napster got killed-ed.