Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nightmare imp

how long will it take to beat the new DOOM?

I hoping a long time,not too,too long,but not to short either.
A at least 6 to ten hours,if i play doom that long in one sitting im sure i'll be ready for this one.

Guest Dream Destroyer

How come someone hasn't killed him yet?

hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!hahahahahahahah!
Dream Destroyer,your an all original jack ass.
Why dont you respond like a normal doomer would dummy,curiosity killed the cat,not being stupid.Besides,im already dead.

Guest Dream Destroyer

If I interpreted that right, you just called yourself a cat. Aren't you intelligent.

Meow.

I mean, I hope this game takes longer than a weekend to beat. SoF, FAKK2, Heretic II, and STV: EF were a bit on the short side. Gunman Chronicals was about 20 minutes long! =P

It's been how long? 6/7 years? I still ain't beat doom2 :)Level 7 was last one I got to in single player I think

deadnail said:

Meow.

I mean, I hope this game takes longer than a weekend to beat. SoF, FAKK2, Heretic II, and STV: EF were a bit on the short side. Gunman Chronicals was about 20 minutes long! =P

Well, I always prefered quality over quantity. But there´s a wise solution here : make the game horribly difficult. That way you´ll spend an entire day per level.

I plan to play the game without saves, just each level´s autosave. The trial&error formula makes FPS drain out very fast.

I'm hoping for something twice as long as Unreal. Mucho fragging! Mucho gibs! And a hell of a hard set of puzzles or switch combinations for each level. But not so hard it's frustrating. Just enough to make you think.

------------------------

I really hope switch combinatios, remote door opening and key hunting will never see the light of day again. DooM should aim for more interesting puzzles. What´s better?

1. Find the trigger (located 8 km away) to open the security door at floor 1.

2. Enter the elevator, blow up the top and climb up. Since there use the emergency ladder to escape. Once there, arm the elevator box with explosive. Go up to the engines. Go to the terminal. Disable the security breaks. Make the system perform a counter-crash test. With no brakes, the cage smashes agaisnt the shock-absorbers at floor 1. Everything blows up. The fire alarm starts, and the security door priority swaps to "inmediate evacuation" so it opens. The explosion busted the ladder, so you´ll need to find another way down. Now that the cage blowed up, the counterbalance falls to the ground. Make the engines pull the counterbalance back, and then make it go down slowly, while you´re grabbed to it. Problem solved.

OK, this might be wrong since I don´t know how exactly elevators run. But imagine how many solutions to the problem(s) you could make having that kind of interaction with the objects...

Yeah and imagine how impossible some puzzles such as that could be if your mode of thinking is different than that of the person who designed the level. It could be like trying to open a safe by trial and error.

I think the puzzles should be fairly straight forward, but with a few different possible solutions.

Let's say for example you want to get up to a higher floor of a building. The power to the elevator is out. Possible solutions might be:

1. Locate the powerbox to restore power finding the fuse is
blown. Rummage around in the utility room, find a fresh fuse, replace it and use the elevator.

2. Take the stairs which have suffered damage, requiring the player to make some tricky jumps or moves to avoid falling to his death.

3. Climb up the side of the building using a rope (found elsewhere) and duck into one of several possible windows, some of which may lead to access to the main area of the floor, some may not.

The solutions to puzzles should not be too convoluted. Just varied.

Dream Destroyer said:

If I interpreted that right, you just called yourself a cat. Aren't you intelligent.

no jack ass,i dident imply that i was the cat who died,besides your a preatty tough stud muffin aint yah.So shut the hell up!,little gipper.

I think about the length of Half-Life, maybe longer, except that the last hour or so wont be a downward spiral of crappy levels, confusing events, and just plain lame gameplay. Sorry about the rant but the end of half life was the dumbest thing ever done. Crappy Lambda Complex, lame-ass Xen, and the godaweful end with the mystery man. Yech. I hope Doom doesn't do that.

stphrz said:

Climb up the side of the building using a rope (found elsewhere)

This isn't Monkey Island, you know.

"Hi. I'm Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate !" =)

I REALLY hope that D3 will not have tons of puzzles. Hell, the originals didn't really have any, so why change? I play doom because I feel like blowing shit up mindlessly. Solving puzzles for an hour isn't very fun for me.

stphrz said:

Hehe. No, of course, but that´s ONE of the solutions. Something that I really hate about FPSs is that lack of obvious interactions that would help you completle the game.
Every goddamn elevator has an emergenvy "stop" button if you wish to go somewhere between floors.
Every computer have a ton more of crap to do besides "un-locking the nearby room". Fire extinguishers are not just a decoration. Normal doors don´t close by themselves after several seconds. Glass´s NEVER indestructable.
There should a unknow number of solutions per level. One day the designers will buid levels like in real life, without special triggers and hidden brushes and such. The puzzle creation/solving will be left to the user.
MY example possibly wouldn´t be the best thing for a DooM3. I wouldn´t mind it, but several disagree. I just hope that the "fun" of DooM3´s a little more complex that just "look at the pretty lights while shooting zombies".

Lord FlatHead said:

This isn't Monkey Island, you know.

"Hi. I'm Guybrush Threepwood, a mighty pirate !" =)

i love monkey island...i still havent beaten escape yet. im stuck on the las tbattle with lechuck. how do you beat hi mat monkey kombat? ive been doing it for about 3 hours non-stop