Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

how to make new grapics/textures

I was just wondering what the best way to do it. what programs are the best to use? is it a hard thing to do? any tips are appreciated.

There is no real "best" way to do anything. It depends on what you prefer and how you go about doing it.

On the graphics creation side of things, you could use Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, or if all else fails, MS Paint, to either edit existing graphics or create new ones from scratch. Be advised that putting edited/modified versions of other people's graphics in a WAD is an iffy issue if you don't ask for their permission, or if you ask and they don't give it to you.

On the insertion into WAD side of things, WinTex and XWE are probably the most used tools, and there's also DeePsea which can edit levels as well. You will either re-use sprite or patch names from Doom(2) or create totally new names. Whichever way you go about doing it, you have to make sure you do it properly. For sprites, the biggest issues would be the different rotations they could have, and setting the offsets properly can be tricky too. For textures, your biggest task would be editing the TEXTURES and PNAMES lumps in the WAD file. WinTex has an integrated tool to help accomplish this, but I don't know about XWE.

For some more information about sprite editing, you could read this article on Doom Center:

http://www.doomcenter.com/features/features.phtml?id=82070

Remember that you have to "tell" wintex which drawing/paint program you want it to open when you want to modify a sprite.
You can do that by opening the wintex config file (wintex.ini) and alter it there - it's set to MSpaint by default. Remember that the full path is needed.

VileSlay said:

I was just wondering what the best way to do it. what programs are the best to use? is it a hard thing to do? any tips are appreciated.

I do it the low-tech way, using MS Paint. First, open an existing graphic patch from DooM or DooM2. This will allow you to "grab" the color palette. It is important to use the original DooM or DooM2 color palette, otherwise your graphic patches will look like lizard guano, and will smell worse. <As an alternative, save an original DooM/2 graphic patch as a template. Subsequently, work only with a copy of that image -- i.e., make modifications directly into the image, whether they be cutting and pasting from other images or drawing original stuff.>

When you want to cut and paste from other images, the easiest approach is to select 256-color bitmaps from which to cut and paste. The older games (Hexen, Heretic, Strife, Duke3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Dark Forces, etc.) all use 256-color bmps. Chances are these 256-color bmps are already in the DooM/2 color palette. If not, when you copy them into your template they will be converted into the proper palette. If you're starting with something other than a 256-color bmp, it's probably best to first convert the image into a 256-color bmp, then cut and paste into your template.

(Using ports such as ZDooM you can modify the color palette, but I imagine you're not ready to go that far yet?)

You should create original art only if you're reasonably good at it. As you've probably figured out, stick figures look worse than lizard guano that's been baking in the sun before being trampled on by a herd of frenzied elephants. If you're not an artist, your best bet is to cut and paste from existing graphics to create new ones.

WinTex, XWE, and DeepSea are all excellent programs with which to insert your graphic patches into your wad. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can either create a separate graphics-only wad, which a player can then load with a map wad; or you can integrate your graphics into your map wad.

When inserting wall-type graphics (textures) into a wad you need to remember 2 things -- first, your graphic must be inserted as a patch. Second, you must insert your patch into a texture. You can either replace existing patches (i.e., use the same patch names) or create new patch names. Likewise, you can replace existing textures with your newly inserted patches, or create new texture names. My suggestion is that you find textures that you are never planning to use (e.g., the WOLF series) and replace those patches. This will avoid the need for patch and texture name lumps (see below), while eliminating the need to insert your patches into textures. It's best to replace an existing patch with one of the same size if possible. Otherwise you will need to adjust the size of the existing texture so that it matches the patch(es). If you plan to use every DooM or DooM2 texture, then you will need to create new patches & textures.

With WinTex, your PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps are automatically generated, along with the appropriate markers. With XWE and DeepSea you will need to do these yourself.

All of this stuff will begin to make sense when you begin the process. It's not difficult once you get started. Good luck.

With XWE and DeepSea you will need to do these yourself.

No. In fact, DeePsea is by far the easiest/fastest way to create graphics from BMPS. Sprites are also very easy and fast to create. Or any graphic at all.

Textures
========
Use F7/Auto Textures from BMPS. The TEXTURE name, the Patch name and the connection between the 2 is automatically made. Plus you can do a zillion at the same time. Just point to the directory with the BMPS, use the standard Windows multi-file select (shift+cursor or ctrl+mouse click) and literally in seconds you can have a complete new texture set. Complete checking for duplicates and flawless merging (log with msgs) - something that is a big problem with Wintex.

Sprites
=======

Use F7/Import, click on Sprites and again the same multi-import rules work. Lightning fast. The only difference between the different "types" are the default offsets applied to the graphics. Only important for sprite types. Use F7/Sprite name edit to fine-tune sprite offsets.

And DeePsea is the ONLY editor that creates hi-res graphics for ZDOOM and BOOMSDAY. That is, textures over 240, up to 2048 tall are supported. DeePsea invented this extended format that is very easy for any port to adopt.

Stock DOOM and probably all ports support an altered Palette. However, the colormap is a different story. ZDOOM (for example) ignores the specialized maps for damage, etc.

Wintex's texture editor is the easiest to use, as you can easily manipulate the patches, also no need to worry about the pnames lump.

Create your graphic (referred to as a 'patch')
Load up your wad.
Select view patches only. (the brick wall icon at the bottom)
Select 'new entry' from the Guru Only menu and give the entry any name you want.
Select 'edit texture' from the Advanced menu.
Select 'new texture' from the Textures menu, and give it any name you want. It will start at 128x128 pixels, use the sliding bars on the right to alter the size if necessary.
Select your patch from the patches list at the bottom right corner, and move the mouse into the cyan square. Place the patch wherever you want it, and click to put it there. (if you place it wrong, you can move it by using the 'up' 'down' 'left' right' boxes nearby, just remember to highlight the patch name before you do)

Quit Texture, and click 'Yes' to save the textures into your wad.

There you go!

i totally recommend something like photoshop or paint shop pro since you can do weird effects to gfx like warping , stretching , error diffusion welll the list goes on just experament with a good gfx editing program and when your happy with the results apply them to the wad.

I've been trying for ages, well all alot of time today, trying to put an image into a wad file, but I keep on getting an error message that says:-

An error occured (code D1162):
This WAD cannot be modified.

Any ideas what that's all about? I follwed Ultimate Doomers 'guide' up there, and got that error message when I tried to enter a name in the 'Guru' option.

Perhaps you are trying to modify the IWAD (the one that comes with the game). Try creating a new wad and then import your patches.

Ultimate DooMer said:

It might also be a read-only file. (if it came off a cd it will be)

Ah, yes, that will explain it. After I initially installed the game (Doom 95) I burned it onto CD, then re-installed it from that CD when I had problem with the game. Oh well.