Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Doom levels

Somw of the Doom and Doom2 levels just don't amke any sense. Like the Chasm, Level 24, Doom2. What IS that level supposed to be? A canyon gone hi-tech?
Then there the Entryway, Level 1, Doom2. In the story it said something about you heading over to the nearest starbase. THIS is supposed to be a starbase?
Hopefully Doom3 will be much more realistic.

realism / futurism ---> ???

BTW, I liked some of the Doom2 levels because they looked like something you couldnĀ“t explain with our days knowledge.

Yes I agree that some of the Doom 2 levels were poor, well maybe absolutely horrible, but if yo'ure one of those people that has to have a 100% totally believeable level then go play something else.

Honestly, I never did care how realistic the levels were, Doom 2 was hell on earth after all wasn't it? Or maybe I should assume you are the expert on all things hell right?

Doom 2 was a great game, and so what if it doesn't compare to today's games in realism, its five or six years old and counting. Now yes the chasm was completely ridiculous with its 8 unit wide walkways, but if you were playing Doom2 and you wasted ur fucking time picking apart the levels for how realistic they seemed:

1. You've gotta get another hobby
2. Play some other game. You're obviously missing the whole point of playing doom.

Most games today aren't even real, in fact NONE OF THEM ARE. Theyre realistic fiction. Half-Ass-Life...take that for example. I suppose that there's a black mesa base, and you've actually been inside of it? Even Deus Ex, (which I happen to like) takes place in a post apocalyptic setting. I suppose you've lived through one Mr?

What about Unreal? Well the name is All that i've gotta say to make my argument: its unreal. FICTION.

Your concept of "reality" seems to be the "reality" portrayed in the fictional games of today. Name a game today, that is exactly like the world is...

When I'm making taco meat out of a bunch of demons I honestly don't give a crap about stopping to check how many of my bullets made holes in the walls, or whether a level looks like it could be realistic. If I am, then I'm completely missing the point of playing.

Even some of the newer games that try to simulate real life, are still not completely true to reality. Half-Ass-Life...have you ever been inside the research facility it takes place in? Does it even exist? Its fucking science fiction, yet people call it realistic. Realistic my ass.

"Oh no! they got the bio-experiments and research facility all wrong...it doesn't look like a real government research facility at all, even though i've never been in one!"

>>>What does hell on earth look like? tell me Mr. Expert
>>>You're the EXPERT on STARBASES so you tell me what one is supposed to look like, ok?

Send me some snapshots when hell comes to earth, and when you actually visit a spaceport, too bad they don't exist.

But realize even duke nukem, which tries to simulate a section of LA, still falls short of the reality mark.

If you want totally realistic environments then go make your own damn game.

amanichen said:

The levels don't have to be examined to understand how crappy they are! Just look at map01! Wtf...
1. How did you get there?
2. What kind of base looks like that?

Doom 2 also had crappy transistions. I exit by hitting a switch, and magically I'm in this totally unrelated area. No transistion whatsoever. I liked requiem in the first level, where you hit the end switch, and the next level is the exact same room, because the switch moved a platform below you. D3 should have those kind of transistions, where you feel that you are actually progressing through something.

Some of the levels were really weird. There is no way that anything looking like them could be any use to anyone, Hellspawn or Human:

The Chasm - Riight...it would take at least 15 minutes crossing this area which is only about a quarter of a mile long at the most. Unless it's just a big marine-trap, what's the point.

Entryway - Yeah, how DID you get in? I mean you're just barred in, no door or anything. Then each room has a different theme in it. The weird one with a blue floor is just ugly.

Downtown - All of the so called 'city' levels were crappy Id should have waited for a better engine to show off their ability to make outside levels. Or at least they could have made new textures for it (Brown skyscrapers with no windows?). And the crusher thing in the corner serves no purpose whatsoever.

The Courtyard - You can't have a courtyard without a building in which to have it. <dum>

Many levels in Doom 2 are cool howerver. The Citadel, Gotcha, 'O' of Destruction, and Bloodfalls were all cool Hellspawn fortresses. Spirit world and Dead simple were cool hell levels. Refueling Base was the only base level that actually made sense (and none were as cool as the origional Doom levels). Barrels o' Fun was cool even though it made no sense, but maybe its just cause I liked the music (Them Bones?).

Doom1 was more believeable tho. All the levels did make sence in some way. Doom1 had more atmosphere than D2. In Doom2, id found the way of cool varied gameplay over realism.

amanichen said:

Thank you for pointing that out. And yes, I have lived through Deus-Ex. In fact I've got my own plasma sword.

Psyonisis said:

The levels don't have to be examined to understand how crappy they are! Just look at map01! Wtf...
1. How did you get there?
2. What kind of base looks like that?

Doom 2 also had crappy transistions. I exit by hitting a switch, and magically I'm in this totally unrelated area. No transistion whatsoever. I liked requiem in the first level, where you hit the end switch, and the next level is the exact same room, because the switch moved a platform below you. D3 should have those kind of transistions, where you feel that you are actually progressing through something.

Truly, how DID you get in the base? If you go all the way back from the starting point you'll see a big railing with no way to get over it.
You hit a switch. Then you're in another supposedly "related" level.
I liked Quake2 level-flow much better. Like when you beat level 1, you take the elvator down into level two.
I think Doom3 should take Quake2's level-flow and take it to the next level.