Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

The Doom Movie, thread #482

Well, the Duke Nukem movie is official now. Here's the link to all the released information thus far:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010319/lam131.html
The man involved has had his hands in Mortal Kombat, Terminator 2 and True Lies. It's just a shame that the movie is only rated PG-13, but hey, I guess they have to aim at the $1 billion fanbase of Duke.

The Resident Evil movie is due out this Halloween by none other than the man that did the Mortal Kombat films. It's starring that russian chick from Fifth Element, Milla Jovanovich or whatever her name is. That definitely has the potential for kicking ass. There is a filmshot of her holding a kickass gun available from Gamespot somewhere.

The Tomb Raider movie is progressing nicely, although I hope it's not half as boring as the games are.

The Final Fantasy movie is looking really good, it has all the emotion and animation of the games. Just comparing 7 to 8 movie wise really lets you see how've they progressed.

Star Wars Episode 2 is being filmed... and it's the first live action movie to feature ZERO film being used. It's all being recorded with Digital Cameras. This just might be the first movie to make full use of the benefits of DVD resolution (the first non-rendered movie anyway).

Now then, movies and games have several different rules for sucess. Looking at this we'll see that Doom or even D3 by itself is simply not enough to make a movie out of. Hell, Half-Life isn't enough to make a movie out of it was 80% killing.

For the Doom movie to suceed as a movie it will need:
1) Main protagonist with character development and pesonality.
2) Supporting cast for drama and comedic relief. The alone and in hell aspect will have to be sacrificed.
3) Fully fleshed out storyline that makes sense and has a good twist or three. "They're from hell, shoot them!" is far from a good storyline.
4) Realistic creature effects, especially if swarming is going to happen in the film. Bad CGI overlay artifacting could really ruin the scenes. The violence aspect doesn't need to be gratuitous... but demon killing will be a strong aspect to the film. It cannot possibly exceed 20% of the movie or it will get very boring.

The Doom movie has the potential of being a great film. However, it also has the potential of being as bad as Plan 9. Just having $80 million for a budget doesn't guarantee sucess.

Doom would make a good movie,but holly-wood has a way to fuck up good things.But if they dont than the movie will kick ass,cant wait for that resident evil movie to come out.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a funny, intelligent Doom "horror" movie in the style of the Evil Dead trilogy... I watched Evil Dead 2 again yesterday and laughed my ass off.

deadnail said:

The Tomb Raider movie is progressing nicely, although I hope it's not half as boring as the games are.

Blah, why the hell did they get Angelina Jolie to do it? Eidos found that one chick who looked exactly like Lara, she should do it.

Anyways, who's gonna play Duke? It should be that german dude Gunter something or other. I saw this guy at the end of some TV interview thing, he's perfect. Never been in a movie before either (I don't think) so fresh blood. Total Duke, in fact that's exactly what I thought of when I saw him. It was at the end of one of those stupid ESPN workout shows and he was fucking huge too.

I don't think the Doom movie would need $80 million. Look at what Dark City did with about $27 million (and who knows how much was left for sets after the actors were paid). Compare that to what Titanic accomplished with $200 million. All it takes is some ingenuity and people who know how to manipulate film to achieve what an extra $20 million couldn't.

Hmmm...This is sort of a reply to everyone who has posted so far. Half-life COULD make a good movie. Just put more dialogue in the beginning and in the Lambda complex area (just before Xen) and it would be great...one problem though: the ending would suck (duh).
Doom would be awesome if they put the dark humor of Evil Dead in...already they have some (albiet lame) humor in the origional Doom end dialogues. 'Hey what the hell is this...this isn't supposed to happen...wheres your big fat reward?' or 'thier going to pay for killing you rabbit, Daisy'. Well, maybe that isn't funny at all, but Doom would be awesome if it had that humor. And if it would be directed by Sam Rami, it would almost garuntee that Bruce Cambell would be in it, and he would be awesome as the lead role.
If any movie is directed by that Mortal Combat guy, it would probably suck...that only cool thing about that movie was how that characters appeared. Kano's eye looked hella cool, the lightning from Rayden's eyes was cool, and scorpion and sub-zero were pretty cool. I'm not that big of a fan of action movies, though (unless they have a good story), so thats my opinion. T2, on the other hand was one of the best movies ever, so I dunno.

Ok, im back but not for long time (yes lucky you guys, heh)...

Movie director: David Fincher (no comments); Paul Anderson (have you seen "Event Horizon"?); James Cameron (well, he's one of the best, but im afraid that he'll make it in pop style)...

Main Male Role: Hmmm, here i stuck... Suggest something then... (well, exept Bruce Cambell...). May be Bruce Willis? What do you think?

Secondary Male Role: Christofer Walken must be one of the characters, also it can be Lance Henrickson....

Main Female Role: Hmmm, stuck again... Dina Meyer? (Damn, not one of those Bigtitted babes, its a Doom >:( )

Storyline: Hmmm... Doomfans, probobly... Or game itself.

Doom : nomen est omen

nightmare imp said:

Doom would make a good movie,but holly-wood has a way to fuck up good things.But if they dont than the movie will kick ass,cant wait for that resident evil movie to come out.

Wow, this is the best thread ive read in a while!
No one argued, and you all have such great ideas..I wish
it were always like this! :)

Anyways, your right..Edos DID find a hot chick
{Lara Weller I think} That looked just like TombRader...
Then they go get Mrs. Ugly chick to do it.. oh well.
I just cant wait to see Resident Evil, Duke Nukem, and
FF...I already gave up hope for Doom... It probably wont
come.. but I wish it would, and how Deadnail describes it.

Guest HeadLesS

The movie should just be about the pitiful ragtag group of marines that DooMGuy meets up with during his trek through the moons and hell. Maybe a demon that looks like a marine that hangs out with 'em and double crosses 'em at the end; he can fill us in on the heirachy of the demons, how they interact and their origins blah blah blah...how they beat the SpiderMind at the end but she's secretly sent her reserve horde headed by the ArchVile to take over Earth!

Lüt said:

Blah, why the hell did they get Angelina Jolie to do it? Eidos found that one chick who looked exactly like Lara, she should do it.

Anyways, who's gonna play Duke? It should be that german dude Gunter something or other. I saw this guy at the end of some TV interview thing, he's perfect. Never been in a movie before either (I don't think) so fresh blood. Total Duke, in fact that's exactly what I thought of when I saw him. It was at the end of one of those stupid ESPN workout shows and he was fucking huge too.

I don't think the Doom movie would need $80 million. Look at what Dark City did with about $27 million (and who knows how much was left for sets after the actors were paid). Compare that to what Titanic accomplished with $200 million. All it takes is some ingenuity and people who know how to manipulate film to achieve what an extra $20 million couldn't.

i heard dolph lundgren would play duke nukem.. but that was in a game magazine last year, i also heard that the actor who would play the doomguy would be tom berenger (heh)

some other good movies in 2002:
blue streak 2
terminator 3 (terminator 4 in 2004 probably)
episode 2
indiana jones 4
alien 5 (alien vs. predator.. yeah!)
matrix 2 (matrix 3 in 2003)

Jeremy said:

the arguing hasnt started cuz i havent entered in here yet, muhaha

Guest PFCRon
HeadLesS said:

The movie should just be about the pitiful ragtag group of marines that DooMGuy meets up with during his trek through the moons and hell. Maybe a demon that looks like a marine that hangs out with 'em and double crosses 'em at the end; he can fill us in on the heirachy of the demons, how they interact and their origins blah blah blah...how they beat the SpiderMind at the end but she's secretly sent her reserve horde headed by the ArchVile to take over Earth!

3 words for all of you............NOVEL TIE-IN!!!!! Only of the first one though, cuz that was the only that had a fairly decent stroryline and characters (to me at least)and stayed even remotely close to the game at the same time! I just hope to God that the rest will never be made! No charisma whatsoever!

Jeremy said:

This is to correct people on the Tomb Raider Chick thing,

Angelina Jolie is perfect for the role.....

But People, Eidos did not find a chick that looked like Lara Croft, they modelled Lara on a british chick named Nell McAndrew's, then for the next game they modelled her on a Swedish chick named Lara Weller.

All Clear now?