Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomsick

what if it's a prequel?

what if the plot is not what happened after doom2 but what happened before doom? in the trailer, the soldiers were wearing helmets, but not as futuristic as the doomguys helmet which we all know and love. perhaps, just maybe, it will focus on the uac and their dealings that maybe caused the whole mess to begin with. just a thought. flamers will be shot.

Guest PFCRon

Perhaps, but then again how could there be demons before it happened? Are you saying it might be what happened RIGHT before the first DOOM started? As in the instruction manual, ". . . they are experiencing a 'small setback', but everything is under control". Is it the 'small setback' that the game revolves around? Even then, how is that gonna make a game? That's just how I see it. Think you could go into a bit more detail?

interesting..i hadn't thought about it that way. it could be as you said, but maybe it could be a previous experiment that went to hell. like they were mucking with interdimensional travel and it wound up tossing some soldiers into a bad place never to be heard from again...that is unless you can blast your way home or maybe, if there's no way home you could, as they say; "reign in hell". i don't know...maybe i'm rambling...

Well, there´s a small corner of the story that can be easily used to make a prequel. The first attempts of the UAC teleportation device. The story says there were "volunteers" who came back from the travels sorta possesed. You could play as one of this guys, and suffer their journeys trought Hell.
I think that would be really boring, no human structures at all, just Hell from the beginning. Unless they make DooM3 as some sort of System Shock game, were you must survive above all, it´s not a good choice.

Im hoping for a remake of DooM1. This time they have the elements to tell the story about the UAC, the drama of the marines, the invasion, etc...

Besides, I hate the old helmet, looks ugly. They revamped the look of the marines and the whole tech scheme of the UAC outposts because it looked cheap.

doomsick said:

interesting..i hadn't thought about it that way. it could be as you said, but maybe it could be a previous experiment that went to hell. like they were mucking with interdimensional travel and it wound up tossing some soldiers into a bad place never to be heard from again...that is unless you can blast your way home or maybe, if there's no way home you could, as they say; "reign in hell". i don't know...maybe i'm rambling...

I think Doom 3.. or 'New Doom' as ID likes to call it, might have to be a prequel. I mean, if the events of Doom 64 are taken into account ( and they should! It's another fine entry, and such!) The end goes like.. and I quote the game verbatim " You decide to remain in hell to ensure no demon ever rises again "
MAybe you'll start in hell and it will base itself around fighting to return to earth for some reason.. though after that decision it wouldn;t make much sense, now would it? Perhaps a prequel is inevitable.

Prequel eh? The suggestions just keep getting more and more interesting. I don't even think we've heard that one before, ooh, ah! Congratulations.
If it were a prequel that could have some pretty interesting implications. ie, weapons that we recognize, but it could also hit the game closer to home making it more realistic and frightening... wait, no.. actually scratch that, it was stupid. But, I suppose it makes a little sense. To be perfectly frank however, so what if it is a sequel, it's not like it's going to make the game any better or worse, different yes; but not better or worse. It actually doesn't matter AT ALL if it's a sequel come to think of it...

Now if you had asked "what if it's a text-adventure?" then you might have gotten some more intersting feedback... er, no..

Ever the asshole, yours

S./

Lost Soul said:

I think Doom 3.. or 'New Doom' as ID likes to call it, might have to be a prequel. I mean, if the events of Doom 64 are taken into account ( and they should! It's another fine entry, and such!) The end goes like.. and I quote the game verbatim " You decide to remain in hell to ensure no demon ever rises again "
MAybe you'll start in hell and it will base itself around fighting to return to earth for some reason.. though after that decision it wouldn;t make much sense, now would it? Perhaps a prequel is inevitable.

I think it should encompass the whole of the events that happened just before the first Doom, then go from there. That would be interesting. Also, maybe include Doom 2 in there as well just to make it longer.

------------