Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KilboypowerheaD

does anyone in here NOT like Quake?

Guest KilboypowerheaD

just interested. this maybe goes for Quake II as well, but i already know the answer for Quake III.:p

Quake 1 SUCKED in single player but was OK in multiplayer.
Quake 2 pretty much excelled in both departments.
Quake 3 is perhaps a bit too simple, but still a cool game if you're into mindless fragging.

Q3A isn´t "mindless fragging", you need skills, tactic, strategy. Even more in the team games of course.

Quake 1: It's ok i guess, lacked in the weapons department (the shambler looks awesome IMO tho). I covet doom higher than Quake1.

Quake 2: One of the best games ever made IMO, haven't played HL but I would definatly put it as equal or greater than it. Lightyears better than quake1, and just as interesting as doom (but many times harder to edit).

Quake 3: Never played it due to system requirements. From what i've seen, the graphics suck and gameplay is virtually non-existant because it's primarily multi-player action (and since i have a crappy modem, MP doesnt get much credit).

So, you knew I was going to say that quake3 blows?

Guest Jadar
Tetzlaff said:

Q3A isn´t "mindless fragging", you need skills, tactic, strategy. Even more in the team games of course.

Any game without reload need no stratagey!

When Quake came out I thought I hated it. But then I found myself downloading a lot of single-player maps for it, something which I never did for Quake 2, so I guess I didn't hate it that much.

Quake had a pretty cool mapping community and lots of neat maps. The gameplay wasn't much like Quake but it was interesting and the lighting model made for some super-moody levels. Looking back on it, I think Quake was better than I gave it credit for.

Guest Dark_Fox

I thought quake 1 was ok, a bit to brown (fuck it was just BROWN!) for my tastes, but very nice atmosphere.

I loved Quake 2, it was a intresting experience although I felt somwhat cheated by the ending.. OoOoOh! A hand, big fucking deal.

Quake three is pretty tight *cough*UT!*cough* I play it alot also. But I also felt rather cheated by the ending..

Guest Dark_Fox
Lord FlatHead said:

Quake 1 SUCKED in single player but was OK in multiplayer.
Quake 2 pretty much excelled in both departments.
Quake 3 is perhaps a bit too simple, but still a cool game if you're into mindless fragging.

I hear ya cu'!
I just did this post to break my 300 post barrier =)

Guest Dark_Fox
Jadar said:

I hear ya cu'!
Ahem, going on to 301 posts.. =P

Jadar said:

That´s stupid! So "stratagey" = reloading, no reloading = no strategy?! LOL!
Have you ever learned how to play on a good Q3 map (multiplayer, not bot play)?
BTW, you don´t have unlimited ammo in Q3...

I like the 3 Quakes for different reasons. Altough I don´t consider them as the best games of my life, they have an important spot on my HD.

I was marveled with Quake 1. I couldn´t believe we had the tech to make that run (now that I think about it, it´s happening again with DooM 3). The really, really alien enviroment was very moody (note : "alien" as "out of this world"). The Shambler and the Fiend are pretty much the only monsters that truly scared me after DooM.

Quake 2 was a great game. Since the installation setup you can feel the quality of the game. I was shocked after seeing the intro animation, remember those days when video´s where not part of FPSs? Those screens with info a la Quake 1 or DooM are pretty much over.

Quake 3. I like it for wasting time. Sometimes I get tired of those 4 hours long missions of Thief 2 in Expert mode, and a little botmatching always fix this. Besides, I like to stare at the textures...

Guest PFCRon
Dark_Fox said:

I hear ya cu'!

Never played any of them, except the Quake 1 demo. Just that sucks. I'm not sure if I want the full game now.

Dark_Fox said:

I hear ya cu'!

Yeah, huh... uhm.. well, I hear you too!

That´s it! This is my 900th post. :)

I remember a friend phoning me telling me to download Quake when it was in testing, which I did, he was on the phone while I was downloading , I had 32 lines at that time, and I still remember it now, "awww theres some nice rottweilers in this, oh this is crap, I can't stand it when they cry when you shoot 'em" and he deleted it! :) true

Q) It was somewhat slow, a little bland and incredibly brown. However, I still like this game for some reason. In it's own way it's a very unique game, and although you see very close to 95% of it's content in the shareware I'm glad I own it. I hardly ever play it but some of the user maps were simply LIGHT YEARS ahead of what id did with it.

I remember when it just came out and the first big SP map that everyone loved was 'Slave'. It had 12 enemies. Excuse me while I reinstall Duke3D and play that one base map again that came out almost right away!

Q2) In a world of cheap clones and boring FPS games Q2 set a whole new standard of quality and excellence. This game truly brought 3DFX to it's heights, because EVERYONE wanted a Voodoo2 to play it. =) Every now and again I like to play the Q2DQ2 demos again just for nostaligia.

Q3A) I have a modem. This game sucks. Convince my three local ISPs to support DSL or AT&T to bring cable modems to my area and my opinion just might change.

Guest Aradiel

Heh, well, if you've ever looked at my signature, you'll know my stance on Quake. Although I like Quake 2. Quake 1 was too damn brown. Q3A is too repetitive (spawn, kill, spawn, kill).

PFCRon said:

Never played any of them, except the Quake 1 demo. Just that sucks. I'm not sure if I want the full game now.

The origonal Quake... I DESPISE THIS ABOMINATION. It was just.. aww hell, it WAS brown! Just way too bland in surroundings, and c'mon. When you're going around a level, blowing things away with a double barreled shotgun.. and a freggin sword-wielding KNIGHT comes rushing at you!? WTF?? At this point I honest to god held a party to celebrate deleting this horrible horrible thing... Then came Quake 2... I was entranced by this thing! THIS is how a sequel is done! It almost had a Doom feel to it..
Anyway, then came quake 3. Yuck. That isn't even half a game.. actually I think this should have just been a patch for Q2 or something! grrr.. well I have spoken my peice.

Here's how I rate some of the games. Out of 10: 10 = Love it!, 6=It's alright, 4=it's sorta ok, 0=Nahh. BTW I'm a singleplayer only guy.
DooM (I and II): 10
Halflife: 8.5/9
Quake II: 6
Quake: 4

I only really like quake for the movies.
Imagine movies made with the new DooM! They'll rock!

You're opening a can of worms here (...again) :)

I hate Quake. Simple. Level design sucks, overal gameplay sucks, weapon balance is non-existant and there was clearly no one supervising the theme itself - one level you're fighting thingies with laserguns in a futuristic base, the next you're inside a castle amongst sword-wielding knights. WTF. The only reason Quake got such a following was its multiplayer capacities - and then you have to like 'domination' style deathmatch play with aforementioned non-existant weapon balance. I certainly don't. Horrible piece of crap.

Quake2 was OK. At least it had an OK'ish single-player mode. But, it grew boring quick. Nothing that makes me go back to play it again. Contributing factor to that is the damn linearity in most levels. Plus, I never got scared while playing, and the gameplay wasn't advanced more than "find key and move on". I haven't really tried multiplayer, there being no fast servers in my (former) neighbourhood.

Quake3 is not a single-player game and therefore does not deserve my attention.

Drat said:

Here's how I rate some of the games. Out of 10: 10 = Love it!, 6=It's alright, 4=it's sorta ok, 0=Nahh. BTW I'm a singleplayer only guy.
DooM (I and II): 10
Halflife: 8.5/9
Quake II: 6
Quake: 4

I only really like quake for the movies.
Imagine movies made with the new DooM! They'll rock!

Quake 1:Ugly, Brown, Weapons suck. (Still play it for some reason, maybe a brain tumor.)
Quake 2:Incredible game, one of the best I've ever played, (Next to Half-Life and Doom)
Quake 3:Barely Counts as a game. Fun to watch, though. (UT is five times as good.)

Zaldron said:

Yeah, huh... uhm.. well, I hear you too!

That´s it! This is my 900th post. :)

how do you know how many posts you have? i still havent figured it out

Call me Clueless if you want,
But I don't understand this Quake 1 = Brown Crap.

Quake One did have some brown levels, but I all so saw blue and green levels as well.
I Also don't know what you mean by limited palettes.
WTF!

I have got several single player maps and mods for quake and their levels have lots of colour in them and they look good (when done well) Seal Of Nehahra is a Machinima Film and Mod Set, And those levels looked damn good: Coloured lighting, skyboxes, green mountain levels, Snow capped Mountains, grey dungeons, computer labs and lots more.

If anything you want to complain of an engine using one colour is Quake II. Don't get me wrong It is an AWESOME game, but Of all the custom stuff I have, I have not seen maps that use any other colour than the Q2 Defaults. After A While it gets repetetive.

All three Quake games are very good though.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Quake One did have some brown levels, but I all so saw blue and green levels as well.

Hallelujah!

Episode 1 was green, e2 was brown/blue, e3 was TOTALL grey, bar the wind tunnels and E4 was mixed.

The only real totally brownness that game has is e?m1.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that can see colours ;)

Let's see. I loved Quake ever since I got the shareware, because even though nothing about it reall impressed me, it had a kind of 'abstract' feel to it. You LNEW it was Quake.

Q2 disappointed me, as it wasn't light years ahead of anything in terms of gameplay. Was it a quake or a doom sequel? However, it looked excellent.

Q3A is an excellent gameplay breif. On paper. But the weapon balance is not too clever (But better than UT) and the maps are of varying quality.

Q3TA does better, but I felt that it was bogged down with features, rather than real gameplay enchancements.

My 1.6 pence (2 cents...)

Guest Tonx

I guess so:

Quake: This game has never been as good as Doom. Yeah, everyone said that it's cool, but I simply hate that! And the storyline was bad too..

Quake II: When I first saw that game I thought they never can do a better game. It looked so perfect.

Quake III Arena: Everyone said it's so good. I think it sucks. It's eaven worse that Quake. Only reason why I play Quake III Arena is that got very good graphics ;)

Quake III Team Arena: Never tried it. It looked bad, but I better don't say anything before I've saw it :)