Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest s999cop

Anyone can handle Quake 1 or 2 graphics?

Guest s999cop

I played both Quake1 and Quake2 demos, i felt sick after i just played for like about 15 minutes, the graphics, the gun , they all look like some kind of dust or little dots. especially in quake2, its chaingun or machinegun whatever, it shoots strangly that the shot goes up and down...weird... excuse me, gotta throw up when i talk about quake1/2 graphics, but quake3 graphic is excellent since i played it on last thursday, but it always frozes thought and takes to long , and too hard

Guest Dark_Fox

For its time dumb ass it was the best you could get, the "dust" is a particle system that still by current standards is rather advanced.. The reason the SMG shoots "weird"? Read the manual dumbass.
It states: "The machine gun is a lightweight weapon with extreme kickback that causes the gun to jerk upwards."
It was Id attempt to add somre realism.
If you hate Quake 1 and 2 graphics, why the hell are you DOOM fan..
I hate people who think graphics are everything, YOU CAN'T MAKE A GAME WITH JUST A FANCY ASS GRAPHICS ENGINE.. With no gameplay there is no game..
Next time before you post such a stupid ass topic, do a little research or your end up looking like an idiot.

Why the hell do you have http://www.doomworld.com as your homepage on ICQ?
You did not make it, Ling did..

The dust is a particle engine. It had to start somewhere, look at how amazing it looks in Soldier of Fortune. Think how it will look in another two years.

If you've ever fired a gun you know that it kicks. Small, lightweight weapons with a high rate of fire are bound to climb on you. That's why you hold them sideways so they cut horizontally instead... and mow down crowds. Accuracy falls to shit and the weapon loses reliability so it's bad practice. It doesn't happen in multiplayer anyway.

Quake 3 graphics are great I think. Always frozes? Take too long... you mean the loading? I agree; FAKK2 has larger levels and they load faster, same with Alice. Too hard? Cheap bot AI. Try Unreal Tournament instead, the bots don't resort to tracing your position through walls and the such. They're still really damn good, though.

Still... always frozes? Um, upgrade... I guess.

The particle stuff was introduced to Quake as a pretty decent way to do explosions and stuff without much speed cost - in software redering they are just single color squares, which are very cheap in terms of graphics power.

Considering this, I found the particles in Quake 2 a bit too simple. Yeah, in software it was still relevant to have those cheap-ass rectangles, but in OpenGL you're rendering texture-mapped triangles anyway, so there isn't much point in having just dots.

I really like Quake 3's particles though - I fell in love with Quake 3 after I saw the rocket smoke trails in Q3Test. Ahhh... those were the days.

I haven't even seen quake3 being played, so I don't know what you are talking aobut (by virtue of this, logicially I have never played quake3 myself either).

Quake 1 particles sucked bigtime, but Quake2's were pretty ok.

That reminds me, is there anywhere i would be able to D/L a movie clip of a quake 3 game bing played, because I cannot play it on my system (and nobody I know has a good enough system to play it) and I am still confused as to why ppl think it rocks (I keep hearing bad things about it, and the graphics look all blurry and candy-assed).

I don't like GL because it makes things blurry, I prefer sharp, well detailed textures (like quake2 in software mode), and nice, smooth rounded 3d models (the actual wireframe, not the textures on it, a minimum of 48 vertexes is needed to pacify me for a circular edge). Fortunatly I dont have GL capability, so I don't have to worry about seeing blurry shit all the time.

(btw: did I also mention I prefer my games to be 320x200 or 240 and with the window shrunken? It's not a result of having a slow system, I just like my viewing area small so I can concentrate on everything I see)

deadnail said:

The dust is a particle engine. It had to start somewhere, look at how amazing it looks in Soldier of Fortune. Think how it will look in another two years.

If you've ever fired a gun you know that it kicks. Small, lightweight weapons with a high rate of fire are bound to climb on you. That's why you hold them sideways so they cut horizontally instead... and mow down crowds. Accuracy falls to shit and the weapon loses reliability so it's bad practice. It doesn't happen in multiplayer anyway.

Quake 3 graphics are great I think. Always frozes? Take too long... you mean the loading? I agree; FAKK2 has larger levels and they load faster, same with Alice. Too hard? Cheap bot AI. Try Unreal Tournament instead, the bots don't resort to tracing your position through walls and the such. They're still really damn good, though.

Still... always frozes? Um, upgrade... I guess.

The particle system on SoF rocks. Destroy an urinal and you have a stream of oriented particles following a parabola with decay factor. Sweet.

Cop999 and s999cop! what are the odds??

sirgalahadwizar said:

GL doens´t make things blurry, well today´s filtering techniques. Quake2 filtering was pretty ugly, somehow it managed to kill detail. But it´s solved now.

Quake 3 textures are so big that they never look blurry. Turn off mipmapping and anisotropic filtering and your graphics will be GL enhaced but sharp.

A Q3 movie? I don´t think you´ll find one. Look for the Team Arena video that was released some time ago. Check Todd Hollenshead .plan file for a link, but you should be able to find it on Fileplanet.