Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bazi

doom3 level editor

Guest bazi

does anyone know which editor is going to be used for doom3 levels? is it going to be a fully new approach or will it be similar to fe q3r.

thanx, bazi

Fully new. They´re merging the code of the editor with the engine core, so you´ll have real time previews of your work with framerates as fast as the game.

We don´t know yet how it will look or behave, but the way brushes and entities perform will be vastly enhanced.

All we know is that it's going to be fully integrated into the game itself. All running from the same EXE. Considering the death of lightmaps it should be a little different from Q3R.

Has anyone seen the in-editor movies of Serious Sam ? (www.croteam.com) It just looks sooooo easy... this guys just drags some rooms out of thin air, puts a bunch of pyramids in, 'paints' the walls with light in the editor, then clicks a button and in 2 seconds he's playing his map...

Another reason why Serious Sam reminds me so much of Duke Nukem 3D.

deadnail said:

All we know is that it's going to be fully integrated into the game itself. All running from the same EXE. Considering the death of lightmaps it should be a little different from Q3R.

Yeah, and the death of static enviroments.

Lord FlatHead said:

Has anyone seen the in-editor movies of Serious Sam ? (www.croteam.com) It just looks sooooo easy... this guys just drags some rooms out of thin air, puts a bunch of pyramids in, 'paints' the walls with light in the editor, then clicks a button and in 2 seconds he's playing his map...

The real time lighting is a major relief. I stopped mapping in Half-Life because of the RAD. Too much time wasted, and so many things to test about the lighting.

Now what I´m worried it´s DooM 3 mapping. Even if the editor is really easy and self-intuitive, you can´t make such a killer architecture just clicking some buttons. It takes a lot of time and skills to build worlds that complex, after all, it´s pretty close to enviroment construction on 3D packages.

Another thing is the textures. Modders out there must understand that skins and textures are flat, and the roughness and embossing is performed JUST in the bumpmap.

Finally, the modelers. It´s hard to model a 1000 poly good looking guy, but it´s a lot more difficult to create those hi-quality characters. Not entirely because of the amount of time involved, but because the building process is completely different. You can´t just create vertexes and join them, or build primitive objects and modify them. Here, you must have great skills on patch meshing, NURBSs editing, soft selection and who knows what else.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yes, the Serious Sam editor is extrmely easy to use (from what I read) but it doesn't have the same level of complexty as Q3A engined games have...
Everything looks just so damn simple...
I know that it was done to keep the framerates high even with tons of enemies on screen at once but still... That's the reason everything is so easy...
When "Doom" is released, you will see that the editor there will be as easy to use (if not easier) and will allow the creations of much more complex levels.
We'll just have to wait and see...

Guest Dark_Fox

Bleh!
I hate worldcraft, well only thing that bugged me was the camera, it was crap..

Ued is one of the most powerful, easy to use editors out there.
Try it.. you'll see

DOOM Radiant, or atleast I think that's what it's called. From what I've heard, they used it to make a few of the Team Arena maps.

"Doom" editor doesn't have a name yet!
It's a completely new editor with no connection to Q3Radiant or anything else!
Team Arena maps were created with Q3Radiant only it was updated by Jim Dose to allow for bigger outdoor areas (nothing was changed in the engine itself as the potential was always there unrealised).
Currently GtkRadiant 1.1 Beta supports Team Arena editing so try it at www.qeradiant.com.

P.S
I can honestly say that the large maps in Team Arena rock and blow away everything created by the Unreal engine so FUCK the updated Unreal engine and it's 150-200 times more complex scenes!
Jim Dose did hint in the interview on Daily Radar that large areas may appear in "Doom" so we will keep our fingers crossed!
At least I will.

Guest Dark_Fox

:|

Nothing seems to sink in..
We can make a awesome 8000x8000 res engine with a BIG High poly block in the middle, when you touch the block you get points!
OH! Fuck gameplay, lets focus on graphics. We are winners!

Phft..