Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Oberiko

A few things I'd like to see in the next Doom

Guest Oberiko

Like the rest of you, I'm a huge fan of the original Doom. I still consider it one of the greatest games of all time, and, of course, pretty much the father of current FPS games.

I know almost nothing about Doom 3, apart from what I know of its prequels, so forgive me if anything I say is redundant.

1. Get rid of the magic satchel.
I've never been keen on the idea that a weapon simply appears and disappears from your characters hands. I figure if you could only collect weapons as long as you could realistically carry them it would add a slight strategic side to the game.

2. Make weight count.
I figure a guy who's weilding a BFG and carrying a rocket launcher on his back should be considerably burdened by the weight of such weapons.

3. More of a team element, even in single player.
I've played Opposing Forces and recently SWAT 3. I think some of these elements could carry over well into the Doom series. Considering what I said earlier about weight and volume of weapons being a burden on your character, it would only make sense that your new restrictions should have some kind of counter-weight. I'd like to see bots running around whom you could command.

1. id haven't mentioned anything about Doom 3 being overly realistic, so I don't expect them to abandon the huge arsenals players can carry around. Though I do think the cartoonish picking up of weapons should be ditched for a system where you actually see your hands reach down and grab the weapon, for example. Also, weapons and supplies shouldn't just be added to your inventory when you walk over them; they should be picked up with some sort of "Use" key.

2. Again, remember FlatHead's Second Law of Game Design: "Realism should never get in the way of fun, unless intented to".

3. This has of course been a major question for a while now. Will the Doom marine (assuming you ARE a marine in the new game - who knows you'll start out as a UAC janitor or something) once again be the one man army saving the world, or will you have comrades fighting with you ? If id decide to put this kind of thing in, they better not be as stupid as Daikatana's "sidekicks".

Guest Oberiko

I suppose you are right.

My only thought was that this would be a way for Doom to, again, do something that really hasn't been done before.

If they leave it as one superman w/ firepower of a small army taking on legions of demons/aliens, I'm worried that it might become just a prettier half-life or Quake.

And on an unrelated note, is ID devolping Return to Castle Wolfenstien? If so is there anywhere I can get information on it?

Oberiko said:

I suppose you are right.

My only thought was that this would be a way for Doom to, again, do something that really hasn't been done before.

If they leave it as one superman w/ firepower of a small army taking on legions of demons/aliens, I'm worried that it might become just a prettier half-life or Quake.

And on an unrelated note, is ID devolping Return to Castle Wolfenstien? If so is there anywhere I can get information on it?

No, id isn't making return to castle wolfenstien. However, they are supervising it. What I hear about it is cool... the soldiers will pick up and throw grenades back at you! =)

Oberiko said:

2. Make weight count.I figure a guy who's weilding a BFG and carrying a rocket launcher on his back should be considerably burdened by the weight of such weapons.

NO WAY! That would completely ruin the gameplay. Doom is not about realism. But about slaughtering a lot of monsters. Overdoing realism is not a good idea IMO!

Guest JesusMk2

I want some Chekitos!

Oberiko said:

I suppose you are right.

please dont rate half-life on teh same level as quake. thats just sacrilage...well not really. in fact, its not sacrilage at all. it has nothing to do with it...wow im dumb

Lord FlatHead said:

1. id haven't mentioned anything about Doom 3 being overly realistic, so I don't expect them to abandon the huge arsenals players can carry around. Though I do think the cartoonish picking up of weapons should be ditched for a system where you actually see your hands reach down and grab the weapon, for example. Also, weapons and supplies shouldn't just be added to your inventory when you walk over them; they should be picked up with some sort of "Use" key.

2. Again, remember FlatHead's Second Law of Game Design: "Realism should never get in the way of fun, unless intented to".

3. This has of course been a major question for a while now. Will the Doom marine (assuming you ARE a marine in the new game - who knows you'll start out as a UAC janitor or something) once again be the one man army saving the world, or will you have comrades fighting with you ? If id decide to put this kind of thing in, they better not be as stupid as Daikatana's "sidekicks".

Might I ask, what´s the First Law? :)

Guest PFCRon
Lord FlatHead said:

Return to Wolfy is being developed by Gray Matter studios, under the supervision of id.

Whens it comin out?

Lord FlatHead said:

Return to Wolfy is being developed by Gray Matter studios, under the supervision of id.

Like Zaldron has said, Lord Flathead, I too wanna know what your first law of game design is! And any others with it!

Guest Aradiel

No.

I disagree completely. It should be unrealistic. There should be a magic satchel. There are so many games like that already, with these ODs of realism. Doom doesn't need that. We all have come to know and love Doom because it's so simple and easy to use. Anyone can just jump into the game and go a fraggin'.

We don't need slow-downs from too much weaponry. We don't need all kinds of complicated inventory systems. We don't need any of that crap.

The new Doom needs to have all the things that made the originals great. There are so many other games out there that try to simulate real-life (Counterstrike for example), we don't need more of them. Doom 3 can have interesting features, but not things that slow down gameplay in any way. If they did that, it just wouldn't be Doom.

Shaviro said:

NO WAY! That would completely ruin the gameplay. Doom is not about realism. But about slaughtering a lot of monsters. Overdoing realism is not a good idea IMO!

True, that's not what Doom is about. However, it just might fit Doom 3 pretty well. I'm leaving all the gameplay issues to id to sort out, they know what they doing.