Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tonx

Minimum hardware

Guest Tonx

GeForce 3 presentation looked real nice. DOOM III was eaver better ;) But I asked from nVidia that what system must I have. What must I upgrade and what can I keep if I have:

Celeron 667
128 MB DIMM PC-133 RAM
10.2 GB Seagate
Microstar motherboard with Intel 810e chipset
No avable AGP slots

nVidia said that buy Pentium 4 1 GHz and motherboard with Intel 815 chipset or Athlon 800 with KT133A. But that all costs too much for me! Can't I see eaven some sort of picture? You guys talking here about Voodoo 5 and so on, but can't my i810e run it? I know I can't some sort of quality. And I suspect that my chipset is little damaged too ;( Can't use Direct3D correctly ;( Quake III Arena have no problems rendering 800x600 (other options are turned to maximum) OpenGL.

Guest Dark_Fox

A. Get a better processor Celeron sucks balls. Athlons are the better of the crop. A 800 would do nice and you can find them under $150.

B. More Ram, bout 256 is fine, RAM is cheap so no worries.. Find some good ram for a great price at http://www.tigerdirect.com

C. Your HHD is ok..

D. Er.. you will need a new MoBo if you go with an Athlon..

E. Your screwed if you don't have any AGP slots..

P.S. Voodoo 4 and 5's suck.. The 1,2,and 3 are the better of the cards. But they are outdated. I seriously doubt D3 will run off of Glide well, or not at all. Get a nVidia Genforce 2, its pretty cheap and what I've read the minium requirement for D3.. Then when the Genforce 3 becomes cheaper get it..
I don't like Intel, they are to expensive and not as fast as most AMD cubes. The P4 is faster but way to expensive and it has problems..

Guest Matt PmRd
Dark_Fox said:

Then when the Genforce 3 becomes cheaper get it..

Actually its spelled GeForce

About that, I am thinking of getting a new Computer in about the 1.2Ghz range. Which is better, P4 or Amd ThunderBird?
I am beginning to think Amd is, but I am not sure.

Dark_Fox said:

A. Get a better processor Celeron sucks balls. Athlons are the better of the crop. A 800 would do nice and you can find them under $150.

B. More Ram, bout 256 is fine, RAM is cheap so no worries.. Find some good ram for a great price at http://www.tigerdirect.com

C. Your HHD is ok..

D. Er.. you will need a new MoBo if you go with an Athlon..

E. Your screwed if you don't have any AGP slots..

P.S. Voodoo 4 and 5's suck.. The 1,2,and 3 are the better of the cards. But they are outdated. I seriously doubt D3 will run off of Glide well, or not at all. Get a nVidia Genforce 2, its pretty cheap and what I've read the minium requirement for D3.. Then when the Genforce 3 becomes cheaper get it..
I don't like Intel, they are to expensive and not as fast as most AMD cubes. The P4 is faster but way to expensive and it has problems..

I don't want to sound weird but everyone should already know that Carmack uses, always used and probably always will use Opengl as his API (no direct3d or glide).