Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt PmRd

Night and day

Guest Matt PmRd

If one of you guys ever played MSR on dreamcast youd notice that the current time affects the light in the levels (aka SUN!) since Doom 3 has dynamic shadows and stuff it could problably be posible to see the sun move and shadows change. i cant remember if this topic was talked about once but.. i just dont know if that stuff would sorta "slow down" the computer. anyways would be nice to have a change in the level not just the same bright or dark level all the time... also this options should be adjustable in a menu to like "Enable Night and Day" and if thats disable "Manualy set Game Time"

Actually, there´s no slowdowns. The engine takes for granted that everything´s dynamic in some way, so having static lights will cost you as much processing power as moving ones (discounting the minimal time needed to process the next positions of the lights).

About the sun/day thing, I think it would kick ass, specially if the game´s based on hubs or just one big level. It has been done before, Shogo had this in multiplayer. You could even specify the color of the day/night/dawn-dusk phases, and how many seconds per real second passed.

Guest c-d-w

When I first skimmed over your message, I thought you were talking about the game using your system clock to determine what time of day it is.. Imagine that. You play at night, the game takes place at night.. you play early in the moring (4 - 6am), and you get to see dawn in the game. Now that would be bizarre.

I will admit, these kinds of features can be cool, but they must be done in moderation.

I bought Shenmue. I feel like a cumdunt. The game is amazingly beautiful, and the attention to detail (the day to night progression is top notch) is utterly incredible.

The 'game' itself, though, is about as much fun as writing your name in the snow then eating it. Run here, run here, run here, press abxleftyrightdownxlr to go through a fight, run here, run here, run here, run here, run here, run here, a real fight? Block, jump kick, block, jump kick, block, throw, block, jump kick, over already? Run here, run here, throw the fucking game ou the window.

I had much more fun playing with the cat and Space Harrier off an emulator built into the game.

The game?
Graphics 10.0
Storyline 10.0
Audio 10.0
Gameplay 1.0

Simple as that. I'm all for detail, but don't let anything IMPORTANT to gameplay atrophy because of it. =)

That includes developing time as well.

Sure, I'd like more realism with the weapons. Half-Life was great in this respect (watch how Gordon handles the Glock), but they didn't spend years perfecting it.

Sadly, overdevelopment only has two polar opposite results:
1) The game is a total fucking piece of shit (Daikatana)
2) The game is a masterpiece (Half-Life)

I can only hope for Duke Nukem Forever. As for Doom 3... well, I think id will keep their rhythm of popping bug-free games out left and right with high quality.

c-d-w said:

You play at night, the game takes place at night.. you play early in the moring (4 - 6am), and you get to see dawn in the game.

Hell yeah! Now that's a good idea!! That would be amazing man.. Mail your idea to ID software :)

deadnail said:

Speaking of DNF... what´s wrong with 3DRealms? I mean, they´re worse than Valve!

3DRealms and Valve are SOME OF THE GREATEST DEVELOPERS IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!!! according to many, many people. What they did?!? one fucking good game?

I personally can´t imagine how DNF will make profit after all these months of salary and developing costs. I personally can´t imagine all the hardcore gamers in the world to buy it, and I don´t know if that´s enough.

Heck, if SoF2, or Unreal II or DooM 3 comes sooner than DNF, I don´t know if I´ll laugh/cry/go mad.

c-d-w said:

When I first skimmed over your message, I thought you were talking about the game using your system clock to determine what time of day it is.. Imagine that. You play at night, the game takes place at night.. you play early in the moring (4 - 6am), and you get to see dawn in the game. Now that would be bizarre.

On the game Dungeon Keeper (the first one), secret levels appear on the night of the full moon. I thought that wasone of the coolest things ever. Having daylight based on your computer clock could be sort dumb. For instance if you play until midnight, then save, and load when it's noon, then in the game it would have went from complete darkness to full sunlight in a second. If, however, the game was set up so then when the game is saved, the character rests, this would make sense.

Night and day are good ways to put realism into a game, but they can be annoying if time goes too fast in the game. For instance, in Ultima 6, it seemed like daylight only lasted for about 15 minutes of realtime, so you got stuck camping in the wilderness a lot. Balder's Gate was pretty good at simulating time. You would have to wait at least half an hour to get it to change from noon to night, it seems, and journeys between towns usually could be done in a day.

Guest Matt PmRd
c-d-w said:

i was talking about the system clock :)

Is there even night and day in Hell? I can't picture there being too many windows in those UAC facilities either, but it would be cool if they had a few earth level to pull that effect off.

In fact, moving from earth to a space base would be able to build up some serious tension if they do the environment changes.

in the curse of monkey island, theres a clock in puerto pollo, everytiem you look at it teh time changtes acording to the system clock,. its pretty cool...it has nothing to do with this though so ill shut up.