Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt PmRd

NPC?

Guest Matt PmRd

what would you guys think if ID added NPCs (non player characters) to doom 3. not a just a marine that gets killed or a crazy marine (like in quake2) but REAL NPCs like in half-life could make the game more fun. little things like "Night and Day" (see other topic) and NPCs make the game more fun and realistic.

I'm divided. If it's done it had better be done well, or not at all.

Either preserve the 'alone and against all hell' feeling, or give it full team play type themes. =)

Right. NPCs could also work as not-so-helpful NPCs. Instead of doing THE PERFECT SIDEKICK CODE, wich is imposible, make them appear with you several times trought the game. The team gets divided to acomplish certain tasks, while they start dying one by one. Each time you meet your friends again, there should be super incredible scripted events with exclusive animation info.
It would be cool too to have one of your teammates to go insane/possesed, and betray the team blasting the guts of some of the other guys right in your presence.
Then he would run away laughing like a madman, only to chase you some minutes later. He should destroy lights with his gun, attempting to make the place too dark for you to spot him.

Guest Matt PmRd
Zaldron said:

Then he would run away laughing like a madman, only to chase you some minutes later. He should destroy lights with his gun, attempting to make the place too dark for you to spot him.

this reminds me of hollow man

Zaldron said:

Right. NPCs could also work as not-so-helpful NPCs. Instead of doing THE PERFECT SIDEKICK CODE, wich is imposible, make them appear with you several times trought the game. The team gets divided to acomplish certain tasks, while they start dying one by one. Each time you meet your friends again, there should be super incredible scripted events with exclusive animation info.
It would be cool too to have one of your teammates to go insane/possesed, and betray the team blasting the guts of some of the other guys right in your presence.

Having all those scenes can be great, but there is one bad thing about it... there has to be ALOT of scripting to be done. Else certain scenes will repeat itself all over again, making it real boring and annoying. But having randomized scripts or maybe even useing SUB-SCRIPTS can make the action scenes alot more fun.

deadnail said:

I'm divided. If it's done it had better be done well, or not at all.

Either preserve the 'alone and against all hell' feeling, or give it full team play type themes. =)

You and Carmack are on the same trolly so to speak. Pretty much everything that has ever been present in a game by id has been well implemented. Its just that in certain "games" (Q3 Arena for example) there is just not much there in the way features that add a lot to gameplay.

Guest Point
Matt PmRd said:

this reminds me of hollow man

No. I think the solitary perseverance of the Doom marine was what made the game great. You knew you were alone and had no assistance but for the monsters killing each other...

Guest interrupt 00h

No, there should be NO "Half-life style" NPC. But I DO want "SystemShock2 style" NPC.

Speech? Maybe. But NO mutual-interaction dialogues, no teamwork!!! (Carmack said the same, if I am not mistaken)

AND LET OUR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR US!!!

HERO vs. WORLD

Human (in DooM: marine) - Machine (in DooM: weaponry) - Universe (in DooM: hell)

Solitude.

That's it.

Guest TheEternalVile
Zaldron said:

Hate Scripted,mission,have to be this way or you start over games.

JUST LEMME HAVE A SHOTGUN!! HAHHAHAHHAAAHAHAHAAAHHAHAHHA

byebye