Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

"Batman vs Superman" is going to be a 2004 release?

The man of steel versus the dark knight?

It looks as though Warner Bros. is forging ahead with its planned Batman vs. Superman project, but as usual, the studio is keeping the plot tightly under wraps.

HOLLYWOOD, California (Reuters) - Wolfgang Petersen, who helmed the 2000 actioner The Perfect Storm, will direct and produce Batman vs. Superman through his studio-based Radiant Prods., using a screenplay draft written by scribe Andrew Kevin Walker.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Petersen revealed a few details about the film, which he says is an entirely new franchise completely separate from Warner Bros.' previous Batman or Superman franchises.

Petersen said that Superman's Metropolis and Batman's Gotham City both will be featured in film. "They are the bright and the dark side, which essentially is two sides of the same coin. That is the principle of the movie, which reflects what life is all about," he said.

"Superman stands for what is powerful, clear, bright, noble and just; Batman is dark, obsessive and vengeful," Petersen told The Hollywood Reporter. "Because they are so different, they will inevitably end up clashing. It will be a battle of the titans."

The two superheroes may be teaming up to fight crime, but they will have problems of their own to deal with, according to Petersen. "Superman has an unwavering belief in what is right and what is wrong, and it's just not that simple anymore in today's world, while Batman is on a path of self-destruction. He reacts to an act of incredible violence in a way that almost puts him over the edge," he said.

The project is still out to actors and is expected to have its title heroes cast in two to four weeks. "We are not going to go with typical action stars, but great actors who will do an action-oriented part," Petersen said. He added that there are three great parts for women in addition to Superman and Batman.

Petersen said he is aiming for a start date early next year and hopes the completed film will serve as a summer tentpole release.

so, is WB doing this movie or not? if they are, i think their time would be better spent finishing the matrix sequels up instead of this garbage.

Omg.
The worst of comic book lameness makes it to the big screen?
/me pukes

Yes, Spiderman was a success, and all of a sudden a retarded plague of superhero movies decends upon us.

I'm still waiting for Aliens v.s Predator btw.

fraggle said:

What does he have, a kryptonite batmobile?

iirc, in the comic book, Batman gets Superman under a street-lamp that actually uses Kryptonite (yeah, I know, but it's a comic book, heh). Superman is about to die, but Batman, which is quite old, has a heart attack.
Don't sue me, I didn't write the book. :P

Why the fuck would two super heroes start to fight eachother?
It'd make more sense to have two super villains fight eachother.

Zaldron said:

Batman.

vs.

Superman.

Movie.

THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE. BRAIN MELTDOWN.

I second that.

Julian said:

iirc, in the comic book, Batman gets Superman under a street-lamp that actually uses Kryptonite (yeah, I know, but it's a comic book, heh). Superman is about to die, but Batman, which is quite old, has a heart attack.
Don't sue me, I didn't write the book. :P

actually batman had a power armor on that he hooked into the city power grid with, using the street lamp as an outlet. batman knew he could never beat superman, but super man was sent by the govt to take batman out. no kryptonite involved, IIRC.

BTW, they did a pretty good job of bats versus supes in the animated series.

So how come Superman vs Batman is being considered above ALIENS VS PREDATOR?

For feck's sake, it's obvious, and could link together very well.

Actualy, Superman gave Batman some Kryptonite in case Superman ever went berzerk so he could be defeated.

Julian said:

And they both die?

I don't care about superhero movies very much (never read the comics) but I did like "The Crow", though.

VileSlay said:

BTW, they did a pretty good job of bats versus supes in the animated series.

It was nice but not all that good (that's what I think anyhow).

Spike said:

So how come Superman vs Batman is being considered above ALIENS VS PREDATOR?

One is a Warner Brothers property, one is Fox. One makes a hillariously large number of bad buisness decisions (AOL anyone?), one does not.

Following "The Dark Knight Returns" is the way to go on that angle.

But nobody listens to me anway.

DC

Super heroes are generally too cheesy imho.
I prefer more "down to Earth" heroes.

darknation said:

One is a Warner Brothers property, one is Fox. One makes a hillariously large number of bad buisness decisions (AOL anyone?), one does not.

I always thought that Predator was Fox, too.
Plus Fox interactive have obviously got the copyrights (AVP games), and the books and comics have been around for a fair bit.

The film has been talked about for nearly 10 years - there were even rumours of a Predator TV series, with each episode detailing the Hunters at different stages of Earth's history.

Spike said:

there were even rumours of a Predator TV series, with each episode detailing the Hunters at different stages of Earth's history.

hmm, that would be very cool. i like the ending of P2 when the hunter gives the cop the old pistol, so maybe they would explain the pistol's history?