Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mauler

Enemies need to be changed

Guest Mauler

I think that a very important part of Doom 3 will be the physics engine. Has anyone played Hitman: Codename 47? That game had incredible physics.

If you walk up to a former human and shoot him with the supershotgun from 2 inches away, several things should happen.
First of all, his whole chest should explode, and his internal organs should fly out his back.
Second, he should do a double back flip and land in a tangled mess on the ground 15 feet away from you.

When you hit a Mancubus with a rocket, he should fall on his ass as chunks of fat and gore fall out of the hole you blasted in him.

The Cyberdemon should not be affected very much by the impact of weapons. He should be like a mech from Mechwarrior 3 or 4, only slower. (I think the Cyberdemon should be an extremely tough enemy, the toughest in the game, he is after all, the King of Doom).

The big enemies should be much more difficult to fight. The fight against two Barons at the end of Knee Deep in the Dead was a joke, same with all the fight against the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind. If the Barons hit you with their fists, you should go flying thirty feet.

I do want the weak enemies to stay weak, I love wasting 10 former humans with one Supershotgun blast, but the stronger enemies should be an actual challenge.

Yeah, it´s amazing how we got hit by their projectiles back then, and now people comes alive from playing Hell Revealed with 16 Hell Barons on Nightmare...

id games aren´t for casual gamers, but for the hardcore gamers. IMO, DooM 3 should be so hard that it will turn down most casual gamers. And I´m not talking about damage/amount of enemies classic difficulty changes, but real changes in gameplay that makes the game really hard. For once I´ll like to own a FPS wich I need more than 2 days to beat it...

Hey, look at that, this is my 1000th post...

I totally agree with that. I find ridiculous that whenever you shot a Former Human with a SSG, all he does is groan and fall on his back. Like you said, he should splatter all over the place.
Oh yeah, and about the Barons being hard-they are somewhat hard whenever you have it on Ultra-Violence and there's a lot of Shadow Demons to help them out.

Guest Dark_Fox
Zaldron said:

Yeah, it´s amazing how we got hit by their projectiles back then, and now people comes alive from playing Hell Revealed with 16 Hell Barons on Nightmare...

id games aren´t for casual gamers, but for the hardcore gamers. IMO, DooM 3 should be so hard that it will turn down most casual gamers. And I´m not talking about damage/amount of enemies classic difficulty changes, but real changes in gameplay that makes the game really hard. For once I´ll like to own a FPS wich I need more than 2 days to beat it...

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
*Runs around the room naked*

Note to the litt'in: Don't drink a liter of Fruit Concentrate at night.. Damnit I have a buzz..

Zaldron said:

Zaldron why 2 days to beat a damn level? why not a whole month instedd! if id makes it to hard knowan is going to buy the game and then no new doom after doom3. well just a little harder in the game whould be fine

The only way to get it right is to make it harder than most games, even Serious Sam, but taking in mind that it should NOT be frustating. I can make a game REALLY hard by multiplying per 500 the damage of the enemies, killing you instantly. But that would be so frustating no one would care playing the game.

Good hardness is a blend of enemy perseverance, quantity, AI, ammo supplies, scripted events, level puzzles, atmosphere and plot. The game will be a LOT shorter than DooM 1 or 2, so they really need to make it hard as hell...

As long as most of the enemies have attacks you can dodge (fireballs that travel at a reasonable throwing speed etc) I'll be happy. Demons that attack phyically should move faster than they do in Doom right now. It should be more of a challenge to outrun them. I love being chased :)

Linguica said:

The two Barons WERE hard, back in 1993, when most people had never touched a FPS.

I totally agree with you on this that the barons were unexpectedly hard.

Most people were probably thinknig that the barons were just like any other monster or that they werejust a little bit toughre (like 200 health or something), we didn't know HOW tough they were!

Took forever to kill the guys, and most of us didn't know much aobut strafing so many of us ended up taking 8d8 damage when we slowly turned to run in another direction - besides, their fireballs were faster than normal imp fireballs too.

Nowadays about the only time we end up getting killed by a baron is if we're cornered, and even then if we have a SSG, Plasma gun, or BFG we can blast our way out with little fear of retaliation.
-----
I dont want any new fast enemies like the fiend was, I want ones with particularly nasty effects.

Zaldron said:

Not bad... not bad at all ;)

Guest lordjunge

it should be like a mix between hitman and soldier of fortune only better.
like when you shoot one small dude in the arm his arm becomes bloody,broken and bleeding and when you shoot more his arm gets loose and hangy and burst more blood.
But the real big ones like brainspiders looses alot of brainparts and gets dumber or goes psycho (oh and it would be cool if they were able to talk and telepath with eachother) and then just exploads or something, there should be at least 10 different sorts of cyberdemons with more or less armor that makes them harder to kill.
And there should be vadrigars in the game too.

Windowpain said:

Amen.(I just got home from church)

New enemies? - they must have some corny great big monsters....THEY MUST