Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

OH CRAP!

Guest Epistax

If doom 3 will be coming out soon.. well the next computer I am getting is a laptop for college... Do they even make graphics cards good enough for them?

If anyone has any info on what doom 3 will require, and if it is possible on a laptop, and graphics accels for laptops in general.. INFO ME! mufasa

Generic Doom 3 Hypothetical System Requirements:
700Mhz processor
128 Megs of Ram
Video card must be at least as good as a GeForce2 GTS or Radeon

GeForce 2 MX's prolly won't cut it.

There really aren't any Laptops that can do any 'modern' gaming. Hell, if you spend $3000 on a brand new Gateway laptop right now you run Quake 3 like shit, and if you drop the resolution it won't take up the full screen, it'll be in the upper left corner.

nVidia is making the GeForce GO, a laptop version of the popular chipset. It's supposed to be a middleground between an MX and a GTS, so it *MIGHT* run Doom 3, but it certianly won't run it well.

Well, it´s obvious that Nvidia will create the MX and the GO version of the GF3. Altough that would take 1 year more, plus 8 months more until a friggin laptop gets it at reasonable price. By reasonable I mean "STEAL OF THE CENTURY".

Guest Epistax
deadnail said:

Generic Doom 3 Hypothetical System Requirements:
700Mhz processor
128 Megs of Ram
Video card must be at least as good as a GeForce2 GTS or Radeon

GeForce 2 MX's prolly won't cut it.

There really aren't any Laptops that can do any 'modern' gaming. Hell, if you spend $3000 on a brand new Gateway laptop right now you run Quake 3 like shit, and if you drop the resolution it won't take up the full screen, it'll be in the upper left corner.

nVidia is making the GeForce GO, a laptop version of the popular chipset. It's supposed to be a middleground between an MX and a GTS, so it *MIGHT* run Doom 3, but it certianly won't run it well.

That blows. Well where I am going to college I expect a lot of people to have really good computers. Hey-- zdoom will never look bad!

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

Well, it´s obvious that Nvidia will create the MX and the GO version of the GF3. Altough that would take 1 year more, plus 8 months more until a friggin laptop gets it at reasonable price. By reasonable I mean "STEAL OF THE CENTURY".

No offense but do you live here?

I'm goin to college in a few months also, and may I pass along some advice that was given to me:

Buy a desktop tower for college. The biggest, heaviest all metal frickin tower that you can.

Why?

1. plenty of expansion room
2. more performance for your money
3. a heavy all metal tower is a bit harder to steal than a laptop should your dorm be broken into.

Hope this helps =)

Epistax said:

No offense but do you live here?

Here? You mean in the forums?
I´m online almost all the time. That doesn´t means I´m actually using the Internet. But since I´m just a click away from refreshing this site, I always find something interesting to read/reply...

so i have to buy a damn new card for 500 dollars only to play a damn good game?well soon is nvidia making a geforce 4 card also and then maybe you need to buy it instedd of a geforce3 card for doom3?i'm going to wait for the geforce 3 mx card to be released(maybe it will cost around 100 dollars).and one thing more Zaldron are you a doom freak?i'm just asking!

What´s a DooM freak? A fan of DooM? Well, yes. But I only explore the singleplayer aspect of the game. A bad ping with US & EU servers forced me to forget everything about online gaming.

Guest Employee 2-4601

Actually there is a laptop made FOR gaming: Inspiron 8000. Saw a article about it in the new PCGamer. It got a 1GHZ processor, FeForce 2 Go graphics, a 14'1-15" monitor, but it doesnt say anything about RAM. It plays Quake 3 at 60 fps with 32 bit color and highest detail settings. Before tax it costs about 17 990sek(ad 25% tax) and it weights 3.5 kg's. It's made by Dell.

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

What´s a DooM freak? A fan of DooM? Well, yes. But I only explore the singleplayer aspect of the game. A bad ping with US & EU servers forced me to forget everything about online gaming.

Am I a doom freak? Sure I can't fit my doom 2 directory on a cd and I have more deh files than god but surely that doesn't qualify...