Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

OK, here's the deal with Re-born

The Re-born mod has indeed been 'shut down' by id Software because of legal issues. According to CEO Todd Hollenshead and mapper Paul Jaquays, they are protecting their Intellectual Property with this. We understand id's position. They are a company as well as a games developer, and they have to protect their products. It is damn frustrating though.

But all is not lost. We are at this moment writing the design document for a new Quake 3 TC that isn't based on an existing game. If you have experience with mapping, 2D or 3D art or programming, contact us (www.planetquake.com/reborn).

This is really sad. A lot of work already has gone into the project, right? Why iD hasn´t cancelled it earlier?

Well we had mailed id before about the copyright thing but they didn't respond. Jaquays seems pretty involved in the user community so I mailed him myself to tell him about the mod and ask if there were any problems.
I wish I never had.

By the way, Zaldron, take your time with that article. I'm not in a hurry.

Hey, at least release your Doom character models. We've got all these models for JDoom and ZDoomGL already, they are all totally based off id's originals. In fact, intended to replace them. They are MD2 and (I think, not sure) can be loaded into any other game supporting MD2s. Are your models MD2s also? I guess you could convert them if they aren't, eh? But no reason you can't release your models individually. Stick em on the JDoom or ZDoomGL pages so we can use 'em where they're supposed to be anyways ;)

Lord FlatHead said:

Well we had mailed id before about the copyright thing but they didn't respond. Jaquays seems pretty involved in the user community so I mailed him myself to tell him about the mod and ask if there were any problems.
I wish I never had.

By the way, Zaldron, take your time with that article. I'm not in a hurry.

I see. Well, I also would have thought Jaquays were fairer, he´s the iD guy who is arround the quake3world forums, talking sometimes about user made level editing and modifications and stuff... but it seems that he doesn´t cares too much :(

Lüt said:

Hey, at least release your Doom character models. We've got all these models for JDoom and ZDoomGL already, they are all totally based off id's originals. In fact, intended to replace them. They are MD2 and (I think, not sure) can be loaded into any other game supporting MD2s. Are your models MD2s also? I guess you could convert them if they aren't, eh? But no reason you can't release your models individually. Stick em on the JDoom or ZDoomGL pages so we can use 'em where they're supposed to be anyways ;)

Nope, they´re using MD3 models. Perhaps MD4 for the newer ones, 1.24 point release of Q3A added support for them...