Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nightmare imp

first person or third person?

The game should be 1st person, and furthermore, should break from the 'floating gun' idea and use single (exceptionally animated) models.

However, I also feel that full support for 3rd person play should be directly implemented (as it already is in Q3A)... it can be a boon to the mod community.

Most definitely first person. I don't think I have ever played an iD game that wasn't first person. However, they may include an option to alternate between the two, but if the graphic quality is massively high in first person, third person will be harder to do. It will just be too demanding to get all the extra polys in there without needing anything less than a GeForce 3. And I am almost 100% sure the "floating gun" models will not be used, since games like Unreal, Q2 and Q3 do not use such an approach.

-----------

Necromancer said:

And I am almost 100% sure the "floating gun" models will not be used, since games like Unreal, Q2 and Q3 do not use such an approach.

Umm, all 3 of those games use a floating gun model bucko. When you strafe you can't see your shoulder and when you look down you can't see your feet. Why? Because you're controlling a floating gun; your player model is not drawn to you.

Haven't you played these games in multiplayer? Notice the difference in detail between the gun you see big and close and the guns they are carrying. Huge difference in detail.

Notice that when you reload your guns (or have other animations) you see them but when your nemesis in multiplay does it you don't see them do it.

Why? They've got a bigass floating gun model too.

The floating weapon thingie is even more bizarre than most people know. You know it´s as big as a toothpick located right ing front of your eyes?

This makes the lighting across the surface a little wacky, that´s why there´s a command to control the lighting value over the model.

I sincerely believe id will go for the complete model at real time. Why? Because it will add a tremendous gameplay factor to see your own shadow stretching across corridors and computers, copying the exact same thing you´re doing.

Guest interrupt 00h
deadnail said:

Umm, all 3 of those games use a floating gun model bucko. When you strafe you can't see your shoulder and when you look down you can't see your feet. Why? Because you're controlling a floating gun; your player model is not drawn to you.

Haven't you played these games in multiplayer? Notice the difference in detail between the gun you see big and close and the guns they are carrying. Huge difference in detail.

Notice that when you reload your guns (or have other animations) you see them but when your nemesis in multiplay does it you don't see them do it.

Why? They've got a bigass floating gun model too.

That's exactly what I suggested: FIRST PERSON WITH INTELLECTUAL BODY MODEL (that's quite possible: after what we have seen in DooM3_movie), I want NO 3rd person crap.

See "Hacker's guide to Sin" for SystemShock for some REALLY cool jokes about "cannot see my feet" and stuff like that. :)

And some more stuff:

1.I suggest introduce additional "+look style" command to let players control ARM JOINT (another step beyond MOUSELOOK).

Imagine:
you are standing and looking at the mirror. You can see imp crawling behind you. You press "+joint" or "+movejointup" and blast imp's face without even turning.

Or:
you are trapped in the cage. You cannot escape, so you take your gun, press "+joint", move your mouse and press "+attack", commiting suicide by shooting at YOUR OWN head.

2.I suggest adding aditional "acrobatic trick" keys, so player can do things which some monsters in modern FPS did.

3.I suggest that player should be able to:
a)climb
b)hang
c)swim realistically
(YEAH, WHAT'S ABOUT LIQUIDS??? WE WANT REALISTIC WATER SIMULATION, YES? I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY "this is water because it is blue and transparent" THINGS IN DooM3).

4.Create REALISTIC damage system:

Imagine how gameplay will change if:
-demon ate your right arm :)
-your legs were incenerated after you decided to walk near lava
-your bones were crippled
-your body was pierced by spike
-your left eye was damaged

Imagine what will be if lamer use IDDQD cheat:
Half-blind, legless player was nailed to the wall with 3 giant spears. He tries to keep guts inside with one arm (hand was eaten by some caustic slime) and punch nearby monsters with another. :)))

PS: BTW, does anybody knows where I can get FinalDooM midi's?

PPS: Does anybody knows anything about "DooM: the Movie"???

The hell? All of the aiming is performed by two axis of the mouse and you want to add another two?!

X & Y = Lateral movement (walking forward, backpedalling & strafing)
X2 & X2 = Freelook
X3 & X4 = Crosshair

Man, I've only got two hands and I don't plan on using my feet to play one of these damn games anytime soon!

Instead... how about this? What about making the gun *NOT* glued to your character's chest? It can move about freely, but what you aim at is your general crosshair. Moving from one target to another you should see your hand switch positions on-screen.

You strafe by running fowards but turning your head and aiming sideways (not all of us were born with GI Joe abdomens), therefore, to pump a shotgun you would have to swing it back in front of your body and therefore it would completely disappear from your viewpoint.

*Realistic liquids: Would be nice, although it would drive the system requirements right on up to the 7Ghz range. Perhaps when GPUs hit a speed of 500-800Mhz this will be possible.

*Realistic damage: You call somone running along with his legs burned off realistic? The shock alone from that would kill you, let alone the fact that if the fucker somehow remained conscious and wasn't completely incapacitated by teh pain he would be dragging himself along by his arms.
- Bones were crippled? Um, a head can't get decapitated. The head gets disembodied, the body gets decapitated. A bone can't be crippled, although a person can. Pressure fractures, torn ligaments, pulled hamstrings, there are TONS of things that could keep you from moving full speed. A bullet in the leg should certianly make you limp... unfortunately... THIS IS A GAME.
- Body was pierced by spike? You mean impaled? You would hardly be in fighting condition. Vlad Tepes Dracula impaled a lot of people... and they lived for days screaming, however, they were totally incapacitated. I'd like to see you run with a hole in your lungs.
- Left eye was damaged. What about flashburn from LOOKING at an explosion? What about getting splattered blood in it? I guess that's why he wears a visor.

*Your IDDQD description: Um, this is Doom -- not Bloodstorm.

*Doom the movie? Nothing is certian. The Rock is playing Duke Nukem in his movie, so... we're generally hoping for Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwartezneggar or Howie Long to be the doomguy. Either them or Guybrush Threepwood.

Sadly, GPU´s having nothing to do with realistic water... :(
Since the hard stuff is the particle physics, you need a really strong CPU to do it. 7GHZ is a nice estimate, tough.

isn't red faction going to have at least semi-reaslistic water, i thought if oyu like blow a chunk out of like a dam water would run out of it like in real life. i think i rememebr readign that in pc gamer

Guest lordjunge

firstperson or i wont play it(i think).
stop asking stupid questions.

deadnail said:

The game should be 1st person, and furthermore, should break from the 'floating gun' idea and use single (exceptionally animated) models.

However, I also feel that full support for 3rd person play should be directly implemented (as it already is in Q3A)... it can be a boon to the mod community.

Most....maybe all ID action games are first person you no no

nightmare imp said:

if it's so stupid,than why are the others replying?

THEY MUST ALL BE STUPID TOO!!

interrupt 00h said:

you are trapped in the cage. You cannot escape, so you take your gun, press "+joint", move your mouse and press "+attack", commiting suicide by shooting at YOUR OWN head

HAH that would be a trip!

"Stupid feet keep getting in the way..." BLAM!

Guest azazela31

Are you fucked in the head!! If they make 3d person nobody will play doom!! And why don't they make diablo 2 first person rogue game!!