Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
the-widow-maker

Plasma bomb launcher

Since plasma has a weight and (apparantly) would travel slowly if fired from a weapon I think that the doom 3 plasma device should be some sort of a grenade launcher type weapon, requiring awesome ammounts of energy to fire and therefore a long charging time, and releasing an incandecent spinning sphere of supercharged raw energy. The ball of plasma therefore must be launched like a mortar and requires the players judgement on how steep the angle of elevation should be for the gun. The blast radius should be fairly massive-at least 30m in diameter. Perhaps the weapon could encorporate a laser designator sight that shows where the bomb would impact on the ground.

Wow, that makes for one helluva weapon. I can see teamplay now; the front row with machineguns, the back row with Plasma Bomb Launchers.

That'll require some big open areas to use, though, and unfortunately Doom isn't well known for that (and Zaldron doesn't think the engine will handle huge outdoor areas well).

deadnail said:

That'll require some big open areas to use, though, and unfortunately Doom isn't well known for that (and Zaldron doesn't think the engine will handle huge outdoor areas well).

Zaldron just may be surprised all to hell regarding that.....

There's a Plasma Bomb Launcher in SiN! It shoots blue Doom-like plasma balls about twenty feet in an arc and they go off with a good sized blast. Ha, I can't believe I forgot that. Oh well... damn that game is awesome as hell.

Anyway, um, believe me I hope he IS surprised to all hell too. =)

You can't seem to play nicely lately. Who shoved a stick up ur ass?

And stop telling people to "shut the fuck up" over some petty difference of opinion.

deadnail said:

There's a Plasma Bomb Launcher in SiN! It shoots blue Doom-like plasma balls about twenty feet in an arc and they go off with a good sized blast. Ha, I can't believe I forgot that. Oh well... damn that game is awesome as hell.

Holy Christ that sounds good

deadnail said:

Hehe maybe no big outside areas, but what about huge inside areas hehe. Like a huge tempel or something.

Like the bfg-9000?

Plasma Bombs make far more sense than plasma rifles or bfg's.

Basicially it's a physical bomb device (like a grenade) that is far more powerful than a bomb that would use standard chemical explosives. Even so, most of the energy goes directly into kinetic - or percussion blast, the rest goes into light (thermal and visual mostly).

You have to keep in mind though that the size of the plasma ball has to be incredibly small, seeing as the plasma ball from an atomic bomb is only about a 100-foot sphere. This means that it sohuld make ~1-foot sphere of compressed grade-A cooked beef plasma to do the kind of damage that you suggest. Even then it would generate an explosion quite similar in magnitude to the redeemer's blast.

Just becasue it's plasma based doesnt mean it can get through things that normal explosives can't touch - it just does it with far less mass involved.

I h8 how they depict chemical explosions being so firey, how they make it do "fire" type damage whenever they can, and freely setting clothes and people on fire from such explosions.
When are ppl going to get it straight that it does "percussion" damage, dosen't set a single thing on fire (besides natural gas, and maybe not even that), and leaves a big cloud of smoke instead of a big firey mushroom cloud.