Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EsH

Collision detection resolution in Doom3

I'm new here, so first a "hello" to everyone!

In the technology demonstration, I noticed that a lot of the gemoetry detail was extremely fine-- railings, iron stairs, that sort of thing. In the past with brush-based engines, I'm guessin that collision detection between entities and the map was at a reletively course resolution (I'm just making a (slightly) educated guess-- correct me if I'm wrong). Something along the lines of an eliptical solid flat-faced solids, or whatever they're called.

But in this new engine, it seems that there are a lot of fine areas where something could get "suck". Say you're strafing, and you're gun goes into those railings. Any guess on how that's going to work? It would look sort of fake if the gun just went through the railings. On the other hand, gameplay-wise, it would be sort of frustrating to be shooting, only to have the gun get caught in a dangling tube. On a third hand (I guess in doom, it's okay to have 3 hands:)) If they do a sort of gross physics representation, where there's just a large elipse that covers both player and gun, it would look fake when the front of you're gun couldn't go between the railings. To me, it seems like they're stuck between a rock and a hardplace with that one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how id might be handling this?

Hi, and welcome aboard.

that's a good question, since in most, if not all FPS games I've played, the player is basically either a block, or a cylinder, and the gun on the screen is just eye candy.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues with getting your gun stuck on arcitecture, and if that were a possibility, you could use a clip brush that shots can still go through to prevent that. It's probably a safe bet that clipping between the player and the environment will stay relatively simple.

Still, it would be nice to see some sort of interaction between the onscreen gun and other entities(monsters) besides the obvious shooting. It would be a nice touch to see your bayonet or chainsaw actually go into the enemy model with the expected results, or, on a harder difficulty, have an imp fend off said saw with one claw while going for your throat with the other.

Of course, that kind of programming is really hard to do right.

Linguica said:

Wow, a new guy to the boards and he doesn't get flamed.

Most of the Doom3 posters will be having their afternoon nap, after their milk and cookies, give it time :)

What??? How can something get 'suck'? I presume you mean stuck but hey what the fuck, I didn't read your post anyway so it doesn't matter. Oh yeah welcome aboard (or something). Watch out for Disorder tho- he's a sandwich short of a picnic if you know what I mean (no offence man but it's true).

Speshul Eddy said:

Hi, and welcome aboard.

that's a good question, since in most, if not all FPS games I've played, the player is basically either a block, or a cylinder, and the gun on the screen is just eye candy.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues with getting your gun stuck on arcitecture, and if that were a possibility, you could use a clip brush that shots can still go through to prevent that. It's probably a safe bet that clipping between the player and the environment will stay relatively simple.

Still, it would be nice to see some sort of interaction between the onscreen gun and other entities(monsters) besides the obvious shooting. It would be a nice touch to see your bayonet or chainsaw actually go into the enemy model with the expected results, or, on a harder difficulty, have an imp fend off said saw with one claw while going for your throat with the other.

Of course, that kind of programming is really hard to do right.

Thanks, Speshul Eddy.

That would be increadible-- you get too close to long-armed demon cyborg, and it rips the gun right out of your hand!

the-widow-maker, thanks, that WAS supposed to be "stuck." I suppose one of these days I'll get used to this new-fangled "alphabet" thing they have going.

Linguica said:

i was jsut thinkign teh same thing...something has to be doen about that. ehy new guy? YOU SUCK. OK THAT WASNT ES...exactly flaming but you get the idea. welcum aboard. i cant believe it but your a newbie adn you actually have a clue as to whats goin gon in games...for soem reason most newbies dont. and thats not a stereotype its true. and your first post wastn a total load of crap either. i had the same idea. it kicks ass.

Linguica said:

It's also a new guy that didn't post a stupid post!