Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

MLB all-star game

okay, am I the only one who thinks that the game ending in a tie sucked? bud segil is the fuckin devil man. he's killing the sport I love.

on the other hand the game was played great(with a few questionable player shuffling). barry bonds getting mugged of his home run at his first at-bat, only to come around the next time and smack one out was classic.

well it would have been nice to see someone get the new Ted William's MVP Award, being it's first year and all, but somehow it didn't happen. being from boston however, i thought it was nice that the red sox all-stars got unveil Ted's #9 in the outfield.

the_Danarchist said:

WTF?

MLB games can't end in ties, AFAIK.

this was the all-star game, it wasn't a real game. and in terms of all-star games ending in ties, it happened once before, and it happened again tonight.

gatewatcher said:

this was the all-star game, it wasn't a real game. and in terms of all-star games ending in ties, it happened once before, and it happened again tonight.

that was a rain out in 1962, IIRC. this time they ran out of pitchers. they tried to give every player a little time on they field. the reasons they stated were to give the fans their fave players, and to avoid injury. AL pitcher barry zito face only ONE batter. read more about it here

Yes, It did suck. 7-7 tie. However, after Bonds not being great in the Home Run derby, he hit 2 homers in 2 at-bats (on of them was taken away because of Hunter...BLARGH!)

The people who are upset that the game ended in a tie should just shut up and stop their freaking whining. It's stupid to risk injuring a pitcher or make him pitch more innings than he's used to, tiring him out and making him unavailable to pitch in upcoming games. Ideally, the game should allow re-entry of players. That would pretty much eliminate the problem. However, current rules do not allow this, and the rules should be changed to allow this.

Whatever the case, Bud did the right thing. And who the heck cares anyway? Nearly every all-star game in MLB history has been nine innings long. So why should fans be compaining that an 11-inning game wasn't long enough? What does it matter, anyway? Does the game hold any kind of significance or importance? It's just a boring exhibition game where it doesn't matter who wins.

Doom II Guy said:

Yes, It did suck. 7-7 tie. However, after Bonds not being great in the Home Run derby, he hit 2 homers in 2 at-bats (on of them was taken away because of Hunter...BLARGH!)

a pop up to center is not a home run

Bah, I had to miss the game like always cause I was at camp, so as the resident baseball fanatic, I couldn't beat VileSlay to the post :P

It was nice to see The Willie Express strike out those to Yankee cocksuckers Jeter and Soriano in the same inning, then get that bastard Ichiro on a grounder =)

Anyway, on a more humorous note, the urinal filters in the bathrooms at camp had Selig printed on them.

oblivion said:

a pop up to center is not a home run

I'd hardly call jumping over the fence to catch it a pop up to center. Idiot.
EDIT:/me looks at oblivion's title. Oh, sorry. Loser.

Torii Hunter is my man, he owns. I've watched him every summer since he first came up to the bigs whenever I go to St. Paul every summer. I've always known he had incredible defensive skills, but this offensive spurt is really surprising.

Dude, wake up, is there anyone left who doesn't strike out a lot besides that queer Ichiro?

I'd be so willing to live with Torii's .300+ average and 20+ homers and incredible defense while putting up with the strikeouts.

Doom II Guy said:

Who doesn't strike out a lot? Barry Bonds. He has tons of walks and VERY few strikeouts. He also has immense power.

He's on pace for 52, which isn't bad, except he's also only on pace for 437 at-bats due to the excessive amount of walks he draws. 52 Ks in 437 at-bats would translate into about 80 Ks in a full season of 600 at-bats. 80 Ks isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either.

Archvile64 said:

He's on pace for 52, which isn't bad, except he's also only on pace for 437 at-bats due to the excessive amount of walks he draws. 52 Ks in 437 at-bats would translate into about 80 Ks in a full season of 600 at-bats. 80 Ks isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either.

What the heck, that's very flawed logic. You have to consider strikeouts relative to plate appearances, not at-bats. You can't just throw his walk total out the window. Walks are equal to singles, and singles are hits. That's like me saying "OK Shawn Green is pretty good, but if you take away his home runs and walks then his stats really aren't that impressive." It's selective reasoning that bears no significance in reality.

AndrewB said:

What the heck, that's very flawed logic. You have to consider strikeouts relative to plate appearances, not at-bats. You can't just throw his walk total out the window. Walks are equal to singles, and singles are hits. That's like me saying "OK Shawn Green is pretty good, but if you take away his home runs and walks then his stats really aren't that impressive." It's selective reasoning that bears no significance in reality.

I'd give him more credit for drawing walks if he actually drew them, instead of pitchers simply not throwing anything in the strike zone.

Archvile64 said:

I'd give him more credit for drawing walks if he actually drew them, instead of pitchers simply not throwing anything in the strike zone.

More selective reasoning. If he's so good that pitchers won't pitch to him then he deserves every walk he gets.

AndrewB said:

More selective reasoning. If he's so good that pitchers won't pitch to him then he deserves every walk he gets.

I never said he didn't deserve those walks. He just doesn't strike out as much because they pitch around him so much.

Archvile64 said:

I never said he didn't deserve those walks. He just doesn't strike out as much because they pitch around him so much.

..Which is a perfectly legitimate tactic to avoid striking out. Being good.

Will, sometime soon, you have to explain baseball like fully to me, and I'll fill you in on any missing soccer lingo then too :P

AndrewB said:

..Which is a perfectly legitimate tactic to avoid striking out. Being good.

But he doesn't "be good" by making contact (although this year he's hitting around .340). He is good because of the homers, which is why he gets pitched around.

There are guys like Jason Kendall and Paul Lo Duca and Ichiro who don't get pitched around, but still avoid striking out. Those are the few guys nowadays who are actually excellent contact hitters.

pritch said:

Will, sometime soon, you have to explain baseball like fully to me, and I'll fill you in on any missing soccer lingo then too :P

I'd rather have fruit pastilles :P

okay, walks are only important to the on base pct. stat, so the more likely your on base the more likely youl'l score. bb's are not considered singles. in fact a walk does not count in your batting avg. the fact that bonds has so little strike outs is unusual because he's a power hitter, unlike ichiro who is a slap hitter. power hitters tend to get massive k's due to the fact that they try to hit as many pitches that come down broadway as possible.

Power hitters also have a longer swing because most of them choke down to generate more power. Bonds is unique because of how he chokes up on the bat. Other guys, like Jason Kendall, who choke up, almost always make contact and rarely strike out (Kendall is still in the teens in Ks).