Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Technical crap (relatively irrelevant).

Can anybody point me to an article or articles explaining the *EXACT* differences between various types of computer hardware, i.e. [30/72/168]-pin PC[100/133] [SD/RD]RAM [SIMM/DIMM]'s, Celeron/Duron/Athlon/Pentium [2/3/4] [x]MHz processors, ATA-[33/66/100] hard drives, you know, all that good stuff. I know the main and obvious differences but I'm looking for things like benchmarks in various applications, exact specs on each aspect of each core piece of hardware, what they're supposed to be better/more capable of doing, etc.

Also some comments/criticisms on the Intel 810 chipset if anybody has used this particular hardware. Thanks.

um... I think that with athlon stuff, the higher the number at the end, the faster it is, and with pentium stuff the higher the no. afterwards (2/3/4) the more likely it is to fuck up.

Guest CRiZ

www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com are two all encompasing sites

Guest Icee

About the 810,810e chipsets, they are great for people that do NO gaming at all. Ive built a couple of systems for some family members and its a great low-cost integrated solution for people that just surf the web, play mp3s, watch DVDs, and use office applications like word processors and spread sheets, etc. Also not bad as a light server or a computer to burn CDs with. Its far from a performance solution though. If you shop around, you could probably get a 810 motherboard and celeron 500 ppga for under $100, I know I have. You would save money on the onboard video and onboard sound. BTW the video SUX. barely stays above 30fps on Q3 at 640x480 16 bit. Looks horrible too. Decent for 2-D desktop appz though. If you are looking into the 810 chipset though, for someone else like a little cousin or someone, try looking for a 810e motherboard because they will support the flip-chip or coppermine or fcpga, whatever you want to call'em, then you could pick a 533,566, or 600 Mhz FCPGA Celeron and up the bus to 100 and get 800,850, or 900Mhz clock speeds, provided of course, you get a board that will allow you to overclock. Ive got 2 Celerons at: 566@850Mhz and a 600@900Mhz and 1 PIII: 650@852Mhz of course they AREN'T on 810 boards though :)

Icee

Icee said:

my cousin has an 810, it actually works pretty good. as long as you ahve alot of ram. he has 128. it runs really fast actually., it just doesnt look all that great. in quake 3 the shadign looks kinda ...um/...i dotn know how to say it, you can like see sections. like the contrast is too high...then again that mayve been the problem. ok so then his works good. i gotta go shit.

Icee said:

I'm not buying any of this for myself, I'm just researching it for my dad. He already bought the unit (without consulting me; doofus) and so I'm looking into it and kinda putting together a little letter showing exactly what he got in terms of what's available and how good the hardware is. He happened to end up with the 810 chipset on the motherboard.

We primarily use 815's at work and they seem OK. Of course we don't play any games but for the office apps and such that we use, they work great. He doesn't play any games; primarily does work on it with desktop apps so he should be fine with the video. It's only a 17" monitor anyways.

The computer was a replacement for his old 486/66 so it's impressive enough to him ;)

The problem I've noticed with the sound on these units (the 810 and 815 chipsets) is that it's incredibly skippy, even on the work units with 1GHz processors and 384 MB RAM. He says he can't play MP3s or even the Windows startup sound without it skipping and cutting all over the place. I'd be assuming it's because the boards use on-board sound processing, as I never had that problem with my Pentium 90/AWE64 and Windows98, or any other computer with an ISA soundcard. PCI's have caused problems like that quite a bit though.

I'm also curious as to if the Socket370 on the 810's matches the newer model of Pentium 3 chips. I've never had a chance to look into that or try it.

Basically, he just uses it for a few works and financial programs, music, cd burning, online surfing, etc. so he seems fine-off with it. At the moment, it's an 800MHz Celeron but only has 64MB RAM, which could explain a little of the sound problem.

I also know some of the boards with on-board video allow you to allot a certain amount of RAM as VRAM and some don't. I know the 815's don't, but do the 810's? I'd guess not but who knows, a lot of times later versions of anything remove useful options from earlier versions.

the-widow-maker said:

um... I think that with athlon stuff, the higher the number at the end, the faster it is, and with pentium stuff the higher the no. afterwards (2/3/4) the more likely it is to fuck up.

Heheh, all too true :)

Guest Icee
masterhassan said:

my cousin has an 810, it actually works pretty good. as long as you ahve alot of ram. he has 128. it runs really fast actually., it just doesnt look all that great. in quake 3 the shadign looks kinda ...um/...i dotn know how to say it, you can like see sections. like the contrast is too high...then again that mayve been the problem. ok so then his works good. i gotta go shit.

Yea the 815e chipsets are good. And the 810e and 815 chipsets do suppport the newer fcpga P3s/Celerons. The 815s They have a AGP slot too so you could always upgrade the video later on. The 815 is the next best performing chipset for the Intel platform using SDRAM, best one being the BX chipset :-) Overclocked of course and with ATA 66/100 support. And unfortuantely I dont know anything about the vram, except that I could only allot 1mb of memory for video on a HP computer with 810 chipset. Heard of some having 8mb though.

-Icee