Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Psyonisis

Exits

There should be some transistion between levels, to make it seem like you are actually progressing somewhere.

I hated it in classic doom where the exit is a frickin switch, and the next level is totally unrelated. It has me feeling "What the fuck just happened?!" I liked in Q2, how the level would end at this switch BUT the next level showed that the switch actually lowered an elevator. You have progressed. Also, if there is no direct relation between the levels, they should end with a teleporter to somewhere, so you know how you got to the next one.

Half-life comes to mind, although I'm gonna get flamed for mentioning it, I thought Half-life was half decent. It really had a Doom-type atmosphere (more strategy, but still Doom-like) and I noticed how the storyline was ripped-er, inspired-by Doom, I really enjoyed it.

I agree whole-heartedly! But there should be a gap between some leves, liek if you get a new mission or whatever.

Yeah that would be good too. But new missions would only happen if there were actually other military guys still around if ya know what I mean. heh

geekmarine said:

Half-life comes to mind, although I'm gonna get flamed for mentioning it, I thought Half-life was half decent. It really had a Doom-type atmosphere (more strategy, but still Doom-like) and I noticed how the storyline was ripped-er, inspired-by Doom, I really enjoyed it.

Half-life a Doom-type athmosphere? No way!
Don´t get me wrong, I found HL pretty entertaining and it´s still one of the best games, but there was just nothing that reminded me to Doom. I didn´t remember one single moment that was scary or spooky in HL. It was thrilling sometimes, but it was an action movie athmosphere and never a horror athmosphere like Doom. The scientists and the guard guys even made me laugh with their funny behaviour, and the aliens were also more on the funny side.

Guest c-d-w

At the time, Half-life WAS Doom-done-perfect. All the things are the same, except you play a scientist instead of a marine. The tech-guys were fiddling with stuff they shouldn't it opens up a portal to another dimension, aliens invade, you wander through the complex, and eventually to their home world to kill the leader.. the exact plot to Doom 1.

Randy Pitchford (who incidently wanted to re-make Doom), took this even closer with Opposing Force, where you Do play a marine who was separated from his unit. Hell, the end boss in OpFor even has the "To win the game you must...." secret message.

You have your atmospheres mixed up.. Doom was about action (for the most part), and HL was about suspense. I suppose it's all how each person plays it : )

Yeah, but in addition to this I want to be able to return back to some levels I just left - but I dont want super-hub design going on like in hexen or quake2. Maybe once or twice a big hub system but that's it.

Maybe also have some weird fog cover the place and ressuerct monsters you just killed so that the place isn't as lonely.

Some other games did a good job of getting the ending connected too. Quake 1 to a very limited extent and shadow warrior did a pretty good job of it.

-----
I think what happens in doom is that he presses a switch and it opens a door to the outside surface of the moon(s) or reveals a way out of the structure. In-between time of flynn travelling from one insallation to another happens during intermission screens - a time I would think he would most likely get assaulted.

c-d-w said:

At the time, Half-life WAS Doom-done-perfect. All the things are the same, except you play a scientist instead of a marine. The tech-guys were fiddling with stuff they shouldn't it opens up a portal to another dimension, aliens invade, you wander through the complex, and eventually to their home world to kill the leader.. the exact plot to Doom 1.

Randy Pitchford (who incidently wanted to re-make Doom), took this even closer with Opposing Force, where you Do play a marine who was separated from his unit. Hell, the end boss in OpFor even has the "To win the game you must...." secret message.

You have your atmospheres mixed up.. Doom was about action (for the most part), and HL was about suspense. I suppose it's all how each person plays it : )

What you are talking about are some basic similarities in the storyline, but Geekmarine claims that HL had the same athmosphere like Doom, and that´s totally wrong in my opinion. Now, what means athmosphere for you? For me athmosphere means how it feels, the mood, and HL and Doom are completely different in this point. Doom is scary and thrilling, HL is entertaining and funny.

Also, HL has Aliens and Doom has Hellspawn! HL is totally lacking the occult aspect of Doom. Duke Nukem has aliens and Quake2 has aliens and many other games too, but are they similar to Half-life because of that? I don´t think so.
Another huge difference is, that Doom takes place in a far future, and HL has an our days setting! It has some scifi details like that energy weapon and the whole alien thing, but everything else is strictly our days setting.

BTW, is Randy Pitchford the director of HL Opposing Force? Is there more known about his cancelled Doom remake plans?

HL's storyline came from the mountain Black Mesa in Arizona.
The whole complex that you begin in is inside the mountain but that's probably really old news.

I thought that the mother of all headcrabs, Gonarch, was kinda scary.

Anyways, I would like to see the Doom levels fit in together so it would make sense when you clear out one level.

c-d-w said:

Actually, Doom is about 50/50 when it comes to action and suspense. Half-Life is more on the suspense side. It does have its moments, but there's not as much action as in Doom.